richardjarram1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

What kind of qualification can I do to demonstrate aptitude in quantitive skills for Master's Level study in social sciences (politics; global studies)?

I'm 24 and just completed an MA in PPE at the University of York and achieved a First Class Honours.

I intend to go back to university to either do a research masters or Phd in the future, and I thought I could strengthen my quantitative skills through long distance or independent study. I only took two quantitative modules and didn't do too well in them. I compensated for these lower marks by getting very high marks in the qualitative modules.

I don't come from a quantitative background: I didn't study A Level maths and my BA was in English Literature.

I was thinking about cramming an independent A Level maths course by next year. Or I could do an IB in maths instead.

What do you think about my plans? Or are there any other kinds of courses and qualifications I can do instead or even after?

Cheers
RJ
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably wont help much. Quantitative Methods is about how you interpret data and how you use it rather than the number crunching itself, so what is effectively a maths skills course designed for 17 year olds isn't going to give you anything useful. If you look at the entry requirements for quant methods undergrad courses they usually dont want Maths above GCSE level - and that is why they dont, because you dont need an A level in Maths to do it.

Unless your potential PhD topic is hefty on quant methods then you dont need to worry about this. Doing an MRes or any sort of Research Methods Masters is an excellent idea and that will cover the skills where you think you might be a bit weak. To do that sort of Masters you just need a 2i or First (and funding) - they wont be that fussed about individual modules within your undergrad degree. Forget the A level and do a skills Masters instead.
richardjarram1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Probably wont help much. Quantitative Methods is about how you interpret data and how you use it rather than the number crunching itself, so what is effectively a maths skills course designed for 17 year olds isn't going to give you anything useful. If you look at the entry requirements for quant methods undergrad courses they usually dont want Maths above GCSE level - and that is why they dont, because you dont need an A level in Maths to do it.

Unless your potential PhD topic is hefty on quant methods then you dont need to worry about this. Doing an MRes or any sort of Research Methods Masters is an excellent idea and that will cover the skills where you think you might be a bit weak. To do that sort of Masters you just need a 2i or First (and funding) - they wont be that fussed about individual modules within your undergrad degree. Forget the A level and do a skills Masters instead.
Thanks returnmigrant, that's exactly the kind of course I'm looking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (394)
56.61%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.39%

Watched Threads