Getting irritable and stressed- what to do?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I had a bit of a tough time recently with a hospital stay, deaths of pets and some general health and stuff. I am also having to live with my parents/ bfs parents (bf and I moving between the two) because I dropped out of uni and am unable to get a job or anything. Hopefully we can move into out own place soon when my bf finds a job and when we do I can get back into a bit of a better routine like I was starting to before leaving uni, but for now we're stuck with this.

This all seems to have triggered me a bit and i'm finding myself getting rather irritable at times along with being generally more towards the depressed side of things.

I have had depression before and had therapy and medication. I came off ADs a bit over a year ago.
I have a longstanding agreement with my bf after a previous slip that he will tell me if I am getting bad and if I need to see a doctor and talk about ADs and therapy again. We are not there yet though and i'm pretty sure this is just a bump in the road caused by all the recent issues. Last time I had a dip like this I saw a therapist who basically agreed that there was nothing going on for us to talk about and therapy wouldn't really help. Honestly i'm not a huge fan about the whole therapy thing and it tends to frustrate me, so i'm happy to not go back, but I don't know what else there is. I also have big issues with counselling so will not be going there unless i'm super desperate.

I am struggling though and I don't know what to do. I know where to go if it gets really bad and turns into more or a relapse, but i'm not sure how to just help myself out of this dip or even if I can. Can I do anything or do I just need to bunker down and wait for it all to blow over?

I think after coming off ADs i'm generally a bit less stable and I never really learned how to deal with the small scale things. I got rid of the big issue, but never learned any ways to help with things like this.

Any advice and support would be really appreciated. I just feel so lost right now.
hol.w
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe you could do a gap year? or take up a hobby like photography?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by hol.w)
Maybe you could do a gap year? or take up a hobby like photography?
Haha gap year would be a great idea if I were currently doing anything to take a break from :P
I'm also recovering from a physical condition and the combination basically means i'm non-functional. I sleep about twice as much as a normal person and do mostly nothing. I may try taking up a hobby though. I guess it could encourage me to try to push myself a bit. Maybe it could help me get a routine going.

Right now I just seem to have fallen into a hole though. It's not been too long so hopefully it will blow over soon, but i'll be honest i'm worried it's going to turn into another big thing. I'm always worried about that.
ReallyWigga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take a number 2, it relieves stress
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
Talk to your boyfriend?

Here I am with no friends, non supportive family and nothing left in this world and yet people still think I'm the happiest person in the world.
DabThruUni
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why are you moving between your parents house and your bfs parents house? Maybe the inconsistency from all the movement from one place to the next is making you unstable. Try staying in one place for a while so that you can build yourself a proper routine. Idk things might get better or they might not but it's worth a try.

I know how difficult it is to get back on your feet after dropping out of uni (bc I dropped out as well and I basically went all depressed and **** too). You just have to pick up some hobbies, doesn't have to be so physical (knitting, reading, cooking.. etc). And at the same time make sure you're job hunting every day. Always have a bit of "me time" to clear your head too (so go for a walk or something). That's what I did and I'm slowly getting better. I got a temp job for now and I'm planning on an apprenticeship or something after.

Hopefully once your life becomes a little bit more stable, your depression will die down a little too. It's just a lot more insptense right now because you're under a lot of stress.

Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (34)
7.8%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.73%

Watched Threads