Turn on thread page Beta

Homosexuality - how to explain it to children watch

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I was watching a TV programme I hadn't seen before and my niece came in and plonked herself down in front of it. All of a sudden there were two women kissing to which my niece said, "Are they two women?" and I said "yes, they're getting married" (they had just been pronounced "legally recognised spouses" or something). "OOOOOOH" she said, turning towards me as if to explain something, "That's called gay."

And suddenly I thought - how does a parent go about tackling the issue of explaining homosexuality to a child? Should you (as I probably would have done) tried to avoid having it on the TV so no awkward questions came up? Would explaining it "encourage" homosexuality? Can homosexuality be "encouraged"? *COnfused*

ReputationRep:
    The same way you would explain Hetrosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose in a perfect world, but we don't have one of those!

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to explain it. Just as heterosexuality requires no explanation.

If you are asked, your responsibility is clear. Your duty in the absence of question would be to provide an environment in which you don't restrict the ability of the children to learn whatsoever they wish to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I suppose in a perfect world, but we don't have one of those!
    I have friends whos parents talked about this issue with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I have friends whos parents talked about this issue with them.
    I think that may have been sarcasm hinted at the incorrect spelling of heterosexuality as hetrosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    I think that may have been sarcasm hinted at the incorrect spelling of heterosexuality as hetrosexuality.
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Yesterday I was watching a TV programme I hadn't seen before and my niece came in and plonked herself down in front of it. All of a sudden there were two women kissing to which my niece said, "Are they two women?" and I said "yes, they're getting married" (they had just been pronounced "legally recognised spouses" or something). "OOOOOOH" she said, turning towards me as if to explain something, "That's called gay."

And suddenly I thought - how does a parent go about tackling the issue of explaining homosexuality to a child? Should you (as I probably would have done) tried to avoid having it on the TV so no awkward questions came up? Would explaining it "encourage" homosexuality? Can homosexuality be "encouraged"? *COnfused*
    What I would suggest is that the way she said about being gay is that she has been in an evironment where it is frowned upon. Perhaps you could educated your niece that this is no longer the case and is just as acceptible as opposite sex partners etc.

I would face up to awkward questions because I believe it is better parenting. I understand why some parents don't wish for certain things to happen though, but not telling your children can have negative effects which you would not want.

ReputationRep:
    yes except it's not so much the bird and the bees as the birds and some more birds...

ReputationRep:
    "It's not on, son. Do as your father does - and you can't go far wrong".

I'm prepared for D-Day, should it ever arise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    "It's not on, son. Do as your father does - and you can't go far wrong".

I'm prepared for D-Day, should it ever arise.
    Here we go..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Here we go..... :rolleyes:
    Something between you two we don't know about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Something between you two we don't know about?
    Not at all, I found out last night that Mobb is well known for his reputation as being the 'crusader of morality and preserver of all that is decent'.

ReputationRep:
    You say that homosexuality is two people of the same gender having an intimate relationship (just descirbe it as closeness, no need to go into details :rolleyes: ).

This isn't encouraging homosexuality, and it will not influence the child's sexuality. It is encouraging liberal views on difficult subjects and will probably enourage the child to be more open minded as they will be greatly influenced by your (an adult's) views.

If you strike it down as wrong and evil it is encouraging a very wrong attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I found out last night that Mobb is well known for his reputation as being the 'crusader of morality and preserver of all that is decent'.
    I noticed, I was in that thread too. If you're referring to the chat room debate when all sorts of things were mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    You say that homosexuality is two people of the same gender having an intimate relationship (just descirbe it as closeness, no need to go into details :rolleyes: ).

This isn't encouraging homosexuality, and it will not influence the child's sexuality. It is encouraging liberal views on difficult subjects and will probably enourage the child to be more open minded as they will be greatly influenced by your (an adult's) views.

If you strike it down as wrong and evil it is encouraging a very wrong attitude.
    Hear hear. Also please tell her that just because they are the same gender and are kissing doesn't always mean they are sexually attracted to each other. I know there's a difference between a peck on the cheeks and a french kiss, but it can be easily misunderstood at a young age. I saw on the news, as my dad used to be an avid watcher when he was made redundent, saw the Russian greeting of two pecks on either side of the cheek and thought nothing of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I noticed, I was in that thread too. If you're referring to the chat room debate when all sorts of things were mentioned
    Yup, dats the one

ReputationRep:
    Life is complicated enough as it is, without adding sexual deviance into the mix.

I have no problem with homosexuality - it's just something I wouldn't advise to anybody, and would have trouble condoning in those close to me.

Good day

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.