Homosexuality - how to explain it to children watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Yup, dats the one
    I enjoyed seeing two law society members going at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Life is complicated enough as it is, without adding sexual deviance into the mix.

I have no problem with homosexuality
    The two above statements are contradictory. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The two above statements are contradictory. :confused:
    no.. :confused:

He's saying life is very complicated, homosexuality makes it more so, but he doesn't have a problem with it.. (i think :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with homosexuality
    and would have trouble condoning in those close to me.
    But surely these two are contradictory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What I would suggest is that the way she said about being gay is that she has been in an evironment where it is frowned upon. Perhaps you could educated your niece that this is no longer the case and is just as acceptible as opposite sex partners etc.
    Not at all. Children use description words that we sometimes think are negative - in fact I think she thought she was educating ME, seeing as her parents have gay friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    He's saying life is very complicated, homosexuality makes it more so, but he doesn't have a problem with it.. (i think :rolleyes: )
    He implies Homosexuality is sexual deviancy and then goes on to say he has no problem with homosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    He implies Homosexuality is sexual deviancy and then goes on to say he has no problem with homosexuals.
    I don't see why these two viewpoints can't co-exist. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    no.. :confused:

In a nutshell, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why these two viewpoints can't co-exist. :confused:
    Because its not that far removed from: "black people are muggers, but i have no problem with them, or women are stupid but i have no problem with them".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    But surely these two are contradictory.
    No they're not.

I would be worried for my child because of how I perceive society in general to view homosexuality - and therefore I would be reluctant for them to become homosexual.

On a basic level, my problem lies in standing by and watching people close to me pursue potentially damaging/disadvantageous activities - which they may regret in the longterm. I have no problem with homosexuality though.

ReputationRep:
    Because its not that far removed from: "black people are muggers
    Or druggies.....etc

ReputationRep:
    Because its not that far removed from: "black people are muggers, but i have no problem with them, or women are stupid but i have no problem with them".
    Is the tag 'sexual deviance' offensive? I don't intend it to be.

I can't see the parallels between what I am saying, and the above.

ReputationRep:

It has an air of abnormality to it and i view homosexuals (and lesbians) as completely normal and natural, this is probably why i have a problem with the term.

ReputationRep:
    It has an air of abnormality to it and i view homosexuals (and lesbians) as completely normal and natural, this is probably why i have a problem with the term.
    I used the term to infer that it is a minority activity, not to cause offense.

ReputationRep:
    I used the term to infer that it is a minority activity, not to cause offense.
    point taken.

ReputationRep:

No, you are correct, it isn't offensive and the comparisons made above are not all that similar.

On a basic level, my problem lies in standing by and watching people close to me pursue potentially damaging/disadvantageous activities - which they may regret in the longterm. I have no problem with homosexuality though.
    This is where there is a problem in your argument. You speak as though by you not condoning the action of a homosexual friend then they somehow might change their sexuality, and by not 'standing by' you will be able to change their 'decision'. This obviously isn't the way that it works. Im not sure if this is what was intended, but that's the way it came accross.

ReputationRep:
    watching people close to me pursue potentially damaging/disadvantageous activities - which they may regret in the longterm.
    Again, they don't really have a choice. By not pursuing them they are effectively condemning themselves to a life of celibacy and loneliness.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not.

I would be worried for my child because of how I perceive society in general to view homosexuality - and therefore I would be reluctant for them to become homosexual.

I see. I have to say it's still quite concerning that you view homosexuality as something you can persue in the short term and regret in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    No, you are correct, it isn't offensive and the comparisons made above are not all that similar.

This is where there is a problem in your argument. You speak as though by you not condoning the action of a homosexual friend then they somehow might change their sexuality, and by not 'standing by' you will be able to change their 'decision'. This obviously isn't the way that it works. Im not sure if this is what was intended, but that's the way it came accross.
    I can see how the comment might be interpreted in this way.

I haven't said that I wouldn't condone homosexuality - merely that I would find it problematic to condone.

However, I wouldn't be as foolish as to seek to alter the sexuality of somebody close to me - as I know that sexuality [may well be] predetermined.

I would just be uncomfortable and upset that my offspring would be liable to face a lot of hostility (and difficulty) in society.

ReputationRep:
    I can see how the comment might be interpreted in this way.

I haven't said that I wouldn't condone homosexuality - merely that I would find it problematic to condone.

However, I wouldn't be as foolish as to seek to alter the sexuality of somebody close to me - as I know that sexuality, may well, be predetermined.

I would just be uncomfortable and upset that my offspring would be liable to face a lot of hostility (and difficulty) in society.

Got you. No need to response to my comment above. We were basically raising the same point.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.