Turn on thread page Beta

Homosexuality - how to explain it to children watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferPowers)
    HAHA! I didn't actually think people still thought stuff like that! I'm pretty sure using sex toys in the bedroom isn't natural...but when a hetrosexual couple use them is it alright?

The arguement as to whether homosexuality is "natural" is a weak one in this society. Most things we do now aren't natural! You think we were biologically made to dye our hair? To drive cars? To stare at a computer screen?

You can argue that we do a lot of unnatural things these days, that's very true. But that doesn't mean that homosexuality is natural, and that is I think the point that was being made. Not that homosexuality is wrong but everything else is alright, just that it is against human nature.

ReputationRep:
    How about simply telling the truth? That most offenly people fall in love with the opposite sex, but that sometimes people from the same sex fall in love. If the child asks further why it happens you simply answer with an honest "I dont know!"

ReputationRep:
    Again, the male g-spot is located up the a*s, sounds pretty natural to me.

http://www.allsexguide.com/stimulate_prostate.htm

click on the link if you dont believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Actually it makes perfect sense, the male g-spot is located up the a*s

http://www.allsexguide.com/stimulate_prostate.htm

click on the link if you dont believe me.
    not really a 'g-spot'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    How about simply telling the truth? That most offenly people fall in love with the opposite sex, but that sometimes people from the same sex fall in love. If the child asks further why it happens you simply answer with an honest "I dont know!"
    Whatever happened to "Ask your mother"?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so are you suggesting that people who are infertile are somehow not 'natural'? Are you suggesting that hermephrodites (sp?) should not be attracted to anyone? That's a little unfair!
    I'm trying not to get emotionally involved in this argument - and I'm certainly not trying to say whether people should be allowed to have relationships or be attracted to each other. It's just the fact is that nature isn't fair, some people are infertile and usually for a reason, and because of evolution these people will die out so as not to pass on their faulty genes. The idea of homosexuality being designed to help control population is an interesting one which I hadn't thought about. I'm not sure if this might be a little too complex though - I always thought the natural human instinct was to reproduce, regardless of the state of the world's population!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    not really a 'g-spot'
    READ the link, if you please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    I always thought the natural human instinct was to reproduce, regardless of the state of the world's population!
    Many people have no desire to have children and never do.

ReputationRep:
    OK, this may be where I get ripped to pieces. I'm not trying to insult gay people or say homosexuality is wrong, but why is it that you think it is normal and natural? I'm not homophobic, it's just I thought that if you get down to the basics, the main purpose of a human is to reproduce and make more of itself, as is the fundamental role of every living creature. So why is it natural to be homosexual?
    Because we hardly ever have sex for natural purposes so why deny homosexuals this on such a basis? It's not natural to have an abortion, but those who advocate that homosexulaity is not natural think that abortion is.

ReputationRep:
    You can argue that we do a lot of unnatural things these days, that's very true. But that doesn't mean that homosexuality is natural, and that is I think the point that was being made. Not that homosexuality is wrong but everything else is alright, just that it is against human nature.
    Human nature my ass ( No pun intended). Its not average, there I can agree with you, but to claim that it is against human nature ? What basis do you have for saying so? What does it mean for that matter? That Its artificial? Cmon, you seem to be one of those people who have gotn the idea that people become homosexual because they have blown a fuse in the brain or smth. More than 240 million people worldwide are gay. Why are these people not "natural". What do you mean when you claim that homosexuality is not natural btw? Give us a break. I can sumarise your view in a few lines:

You dont have a clue what causes homosexuality.
    You find the thought of it slightly disturbing
    You realise that you will get in trouble if you try to sugest it is wrong
    Therefore you say it is "unnatural" because that is such an ambigious word that you can simply change your interpretation of it if people try to refute your claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Whatever happened to "Ask your mother"?
    Im one of those people who like to get my own view of things put forward...

ReputationRep:
    Therefore you say it is "unnatural" because that is such an ambigious word that you can simply change your interpretation of it if people try to refute your claim.
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    those who advocate that homosexulaity is not natural think that abortion is.
    EXXXXXXXXXCELLLLT!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not forgetting survival of the fittest with medicine, boob jobs and other cosmetic surgey. Even wearing PVC, latex and polyester, nylon etc. Even gizmos

ReputationRep:
    Human nature my ass ( No pun intended). Its not average, there I can agree with you, but to claim that it is against human nature ? What basis do you have for saying so? What does it mean for that matter? That Its artificial? Cmon, you seem to be one of those people who have gotn the idea that people become homosexual because they have blown a fuse in the brain or smth. More than 240 million people worldwide are gay. Why are these people not "natural". What do you mean when you claim that homosexuality is not natural btw? Give us a break. I can sumarise your view in a few lines:

Hmmm, thanks for that. Well, firstly, no I don't have a clue what causes homosexuality. Do you?
    Secondly, I don't find the thought disturbing, and even if I did, I don't see why it matters, I'm trying to discuss this from a biological point of view.
    Yes, I do realise I will get into trouble if I say it is wrong, and that's what annoys me. I'm not trying to condemn anyone for their way of life, just have a discussion about it but as soon as I try to question anything I am immediately attacked as if I said all homosexuals should be burnt at the stake.
    I wish you'd read my arguments. The reason I said it was unnatural was because the first person I replied to said it was natural, so as my view is the opposite, to use the word which means the opposite seemed the most appropriate thing to do.

By "unnatural" all I mean is that I thought human instinct was to reproduce. That's all I'm trying to say! Yes, things have changed since the first humans were around and no, all heterosexuals are not running around copulating like bunnies.

I was also under the impression that many people believe homosexuals are born that way...not that they have "blown a fuse in their brain", but that there is some sort of genetic abnormality which would suggest that how they are is not "normal" or "natural".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Because we hardly ever have sex for natural purposes so why deny homosexuals this on such a basis? It's not natural to have an abortion, but those who advocate that homosexulaity is not natural think that abortion is.
    What a generalistaion. When you've asked every person who thinks homosexuality is unnatural what their view on abortion is, maybe you could come back and say that again. And, again, I never said that homosexuals should not be allowed to have relationships, or have sex, or live. Someone said that homosexuality is completely natural and normal, I wasn't sure whether that could be justified.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're not bothered about infertile people because they "will die out so as not to pass on their faulty genes" then why should you care about homosexual couples? They're not going to reproduce their 'faulty gene'. Dont worry! You won't be infected!

I just think you're frightened of homosexuality. How are you to say what is 'natural'? The simple fact is, you cannot prove nor disprove that homosexuality is natural. Unless, of course, you're some sort of genius scientist that knows all these answers. If so, I do apologise!

You find homosexual dogs and horses, so it isn't like it's a human trend.
    It's not like the homosexuals' fault they're like that. Blame the heterosexuals!

ReputationRep:
    I was also under the impression that many people believe homosexuals are born that way...not that they have "blown a fuse in their brain", but that there is some sort of genetic abnormality which would suggest that how they are is not "normal" or "natural".
    I think he was referring to Darwin’s theory of evolution, in which changes are made to our genetics at certain points in our genetic history, these then become absorbed into humanity and so become the norm.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're not bothered about infertile people because they "will die out so as not to pass on their faulty genes" then why should you care about homosexual couples? They're not going to reproduce their 'faulty gene'. Dont worry! You won't be infected!

I just think you're frightened of homosexuality. How are you to say what is 'natural'? The simple fact is, you cannot prove nor disprove that homosexuality is natural. Unless, of course, you're some sort of genius scientist that knows all these answers. If so, I do apologise!

You find homosexual dogs and horses, so it isn't like it's a human trend.
    Please stop making assumptions abut me. I didn't say homosexuals had a faulty gene, I said SOME infertile people COULD. I'm not "worried" about homosexual couples. I never said they should be got rid of and I never suggested I wanted them to die out! Yes, you cannot prove whether homosexuality is natural is natural or unnatural. Most things in this life cannot be proven. If they could, what would be the point of this forum? And no, I don't have the answers, if I did i wouldn't be wasting my time discussing any of this.

Your last comment is rather irrelevant. So there are homosexual animals too, good for them!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, thanks for that. Well, firstly, no I don't have a clue what causes homosexuality. Do you?
    Secondly, I don't find the thought disturbing, and even if I did, I don't see why it matters, I'm trying to discuss this from a biological point of view.
    Yes, I do realise I will get into trouble if I say it is wrong, and that's what annoys me. I'm not trying to condemn anyone for their way of life, just have a discussion about it but as soon as I try to question anything I am immediately attacked as if I said all homosexuals should be burnt at the stake.
    I wish you'd read my arguments. The reason I said it was unnatural was because the first person I replied to said it was natural, so as my view is the opposite, to use the word which means the opposite seemed the most appropriate thing to do.

By "unnatural" all I mean is that I thought human instinct was to reproduce. That's all I'm trying to say! Yes, things have changed since the first humans were around and no, all heterosexuals are not running around copulating like bunnies.

Remember that the consequence of Love and affection is not merely that it causes people to reproduce, but also that it keep us together and causes us to value other people existance. Eaven steril people benefit greatly from falling in love as it offers stability and security. Love is much more than just reproductive instinct, and thus it is far to neglectant to simply dismiss homosexual love as "unnatural" or "against human nature".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I think he was referring to Darwin’s theory of evolution, in which changes are made to our genetics at certain points in our genetic history, these then become absorbed into humanity and so become the norm.
    I see. Thank you, I did not know that. I'm no scientist by any means! This is what I was trying to say, that I didn't know whether the natural tendancy of a human was to be homosexual or not, and I didn't think it was, but obviously I recognise that humans have been around for billions or years and things change!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.