Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcspence)
    Possibly somewhere along the way the developing fetus realizes a defect and puts a command into action made to prevent passing on this gene? .
    Your argument is flawed as you are assuming the "Gay Gene" is always dominant, if its recessive then a person can carry the gay gene but not be gay. But if they have a child with another carrier of the "Gay Gene" then the gene becomes dominant and the child is therefore gay..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    there is a more 'natural' method of keeping the 'fruit fresh', which involves changing the sheets.
    Well thats at least what scientific american said a couple of years ago so dont blaim me if its wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Your argument is flawed as you are assuming the "Gay Gene" is always dominant, if its recessive then a person can carry the gay gene but not be gay. But if they have a child with another carrier of the "Gay Gene" then the gene becomes dominant and the child is therefore gay..
    that is a good point, but like i said. I am just trying to bridge the gap, and i would still tend to think that the gene has something to do with purposefulling preventing propogation. i would be interested to see a study cross refferencing carriers of this gene with other geneticly transmitted conditions. I think this would lend much more credibility to the entire arguement of "gay genes". to put it simply i will not completely accept it, till somebody can show me that it is either a flaw of somekind or that it serves some real biological purpose. For the moment i lean towards the genetic kill switch idea.
    as for the dominant thing, you are assuming that once activated it's influence is so strong as to make a person incapable of choice? I have a friend with diabetes, which is generally a genetic condition. She still fights it everyday? yes the influence is there but she doesn't just lay down and die?

ReputationRep:
    homosexuality aside.... I tend to think the non-reproductive arguement tends to deal more with a fear of commitment and desire not to pass on your issues tot he next generation.
    yet you have to see that this is an issue non the less. if we are going to look to genetics.... i would tend to say that the "gay gene" would serve more as a genetic kill switch. possibly there are self checking functions in developement, we know in some cases a mother will miscariage, upon examination there are defects in developement. Possibly somewhere along the way the developing fetus realizes a defect and puts a command into action made to prevent passing on this gene?
    how do you like that..... i think that bridges the gap on why a natural gene would interfere with the need to pass itself on.... not the most politically correct view though.... just an idea.
    Why not just stick to the idea that to rapid population growth will simply cause starvation and undesirable scarcity of resources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Why not just stick to the idea that to rapid population growth will simply cause starvation and undesirable scarcity of resources?

I don't think my genes are that aware of what is going on in the world.... Now we are getting into the idea of collective conscious and are we all spiritually link, which opens up religion which makes this a much bigger arguement, sorry disscussion., so lets avoid that, for now.

I also don't see this as a factor in the nurture side of things as a child growing up isn't thinking of how he doesn't want to bring more kids into this world but dangit he is still horney so have to find an alternative..

put it simply, if this where a real factor as far as genes go, you would only see homosexuals coming from overpopulated areas where hunger and starvation where real concerns? unless you think your genes are intelligent to the point that they can plan for the future? maybe i missed something in biology.

ReputationRep:
    as for the dominant thing, you are assuming that once activated it's influence is so strong as to make a person incapable of choice?
    No i don’t think that. I think its much more likely a dominant "Gay Gene" will mean a child has a genetic predisposition to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    No i don’t think that. I think its much more likely a dominant "Gay Gene" will mean a child has a genetic predisposition to be gay.
    already agreed with you on that one. much the same way the gene for large breasts will predisposition a girl to be popular with the guys.

btw allot of this is sarcasm....

ReputationRep:
    Question on the nuture and environmental anti choice argument, how many homosexuals grew up in a "gay" household... wouldn't one assume that their parents where straight? I am just curious and would love for people to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    Question on the nuture and environmental anti choice argument, how many homosexuals grew up in a "gay" household... wouldn't one assume that their parents where straight? I am just curious and would love for people to elaborate?
    Lots of gay people have really conservative parents who couldn't be any less gay, hence all the teenage strife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Lots of gay people have really conservative parents who couldn't be any less gay, hence all the teenage strife.
    ok, now how about actually answering the question. this was my point, i am so happy you were awake enough to catch that.

ReputationRep:
    ok, now how about actually answering the question. this was my point, i am so happy you were awake enough to catch that.
    I think homosexuality is genetic but campness is due to your upbringing and environment.

ReputationRep:
    ok, still not answering the question, it is not geared to the gene freaks....
    it is only for the people who say it is environment and not choice....
    please pay attention.

ReputationRep:
    ok, still not answering the question, it is not geared to the gene freaks....
    it is only for the people who say it is environment and not choice....
    please pay attention.
    I'd tell them that homosexuality involves 2 persons of the same sex having a loving relationship together, just as mummy and daddy do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I'd tell them that homosexuality involves 2 persons of the same sex having a loving relationship together, just as mummy and daddy do.
    And quite right so.

ReputationRep:
    ok.. read the friggen post.... i am asking how do you account for the phenomenon if you claim that it is environmental... not choice.... not genes.... when well.... prety much all homosexuals come from a hetero family....
    sheesh, please pay attention....

ReputationRep:
    ok.. read the friggen post.... i am asking how do you account for the phenomenon if you claim that it is environmental... not choice.... not genes.... when well.... prety much all homosexuals come from a hetero family....
    sheesh, please pay attention....
    For all you know you could actually have an inverse relationship ( eg A heterosexual family increases the chance of having gay children... ). The thing about the environment is that it is very complex. For all we know homosexuality may be somewhat dependent on how much vitamin-c you digest. The only thing we do know for certain is that it is not only genes that determine if someone becomes homosexual or not. You cant simply conclude that if a family is heterosexual it means its more likely for the children to be heterosexual. These things are very complicated. Heres one for you: I prefer coke to pepsi, whereas both my parents prefer pepsi to coke. Still I cant merely chose which taste I prefer. Does this mean that my preference for coke is pre-determined by my genes? Not necessarily so. It could simply be that someone once in my childhood served me a warm old pepsi and then a cold fresh new coke and that caused me to like coke. It doesnt mean I chosed to like coke, nor does it imply that I have it in my genes.

ReputationRep:
    The environment is much much more than merely the sexuality of your parents. Furthermore you assume that a heterosexual environment would decrease the chance of children being gay, whereas teh relationship may be inverse. Environmental factors include everything from what color your house is til what spices your mother uses in the sallad. It is fully possible that a seemingly unrelated environmental factor greatly affecting the probability of a person becoming gay or not. It could be a closely related factor (such as the relative number of men and wommen in your environment ) or it could be a factor which you would never suspect to have anything to do with homosexuality (such as how much milk you drink). The bottom eline is that noone really knows what causes homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    it should be: as you can guess by the name, im gay: and one of my friends has a lil sister of 4, and shes fully aware that "uncle peter loves men, but we still love him just as much..."

the only way we can stop ppl growing up to be homophobic is to make them aware of the diversity of society....

ReputationRep:
    Yes you think a lot of things. Could you please explain why, if homosexuality was determined genetically at birth, a gay person could very well have a non-gay identical twin?
    Genetic mutation during feotus development in the womb.

Basicly all you have done so far is to say that homosexuality means a person does not want to have heterosexual sex, and therefore you say its unatural. Your entire argument rests on the idea that it is unatural not to want to do something that may decrease your chance of reproducing.
    Again, I affirm that I was not merely arguing that because the sex does not lead to procreation it is unnatural, but that it is unnatural because the 'sexuality' and the desire for sex with people of the same sex actively prevents procreation from taking place.

Well, heres a question for you. A bee dies directly after stinging an animal because its back gets torn to pieces. This surely prevents that bee from reproducing. Is that also unnatural behaviour? Is it unnatural for bees to sting ?
    Bees are a completely different species. Logic could show that sacrifical acts from bees would be evolutionary beneficial on a group scale. As earlier mentioned, they can't reproduce anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    Again, I affirm that I was not merely arguing that because the sex does not lead to procreation it is unnatural, but that it is unnatural because the 'sexuality' and the desire for sex with people of the same sex actively prevents procreation from taking place.
    Does that mean that you think that people who have no sex drive infact the idea of haveing any kind of sex and going any further than kissing are unatural. I think they refer to themself as a-sexual (but I am not cirtain) but they do exist.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.