I haven't graduated from my current masters. Do I qualify for the postgraduate loan?

Watch
spidersax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

I am a UK national, currently studying a master's in Europe. I want to do another master's in the UK.

I understand that the rules are: you cannot apply for a postgraduate loan if you already have a masters degree. But I was wondering if there might be a way around this.

If I applied for the postgraduate loan now, before I graduate from my master's in Europe, then I would technically not have a masters degree at the time of application. In this scenario, would I qualify for the postgraduate loan?

Alternatively, I could arrange with the university to "defer" my official graduation from the master's in Europe, until after I begin the masters in the UK. Again, in this scenario, I would not have a a master's degree when applying for the postgraduate loan. Would I therefore qualify?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question.
Brian SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there.

When does your Masters course in the UK begin and when does your overseas course finish?

Thanks.
spidersax
Rep:
?
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I am due to graduate from the overseas course in January 2017.
The UK course begins in September 2017.

What are the rules surrounding the start/finish dates of the courses?
I ask this because I have the option of postponing my graduation from the overseas course up until January 2018, if this would be necessary to achieve eligibility.

The only relevant question on the online application form for the postgraduate loan asks something along the lines of "do you already have a master's degree?" To which I could, at this moment in time, answer (truthfully) "no". Would this answer be deemed incorrect or fraudulent (thereby rendering me ineligible) if it is later discovered that I do have a master's degree at the time I begin to receive the loan?

I am not trying to attain a postgraduate loan dishonestly. But I cannot find the rules appropriate for my situation.
Morven SFE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

If you have a masters degree then you would be classed as ineligible for funding. If you defer your masters degree achievement in Europe until after you get the UK masters you should be fine to receive funding from us.

Thanks
spidersax
Rep:
?
Hi,

Thank you for the explanation.

Is it ok to be explicit about this when applying for masters courses in the UK?
As in, can I say something along the lines of:

"In 2018 I will graduate with a masters in Chemistry from Paris university. I will be awarded X grade, but I have postponed my graduation in order to qualify for a postgraduate loan for a masters in the UK" ?
Morven SFE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

Youre welcome,

You would be best to leave it out completely as it could cause problems when we go to process the application. I would answer the questions as No for the "do you already hold a masters degree"

Thanks
spidersax
Rep:
?
(Original post by Morven SFE)
Hi there,

Youre welcome,

You would be best to leave it out completely as it could cause problems when we go to process the application. I would answer the questions as No for the "do you already hold a masters degree"

Thanks
Sorry, just to be clear on this:

I am asking whether or not it is appropriate to mention my situation when I am applying for a particular masters course, not when I am applying for the postgraduate loan.

Or do you mean that Student Finance also checks over the individual applications for masters courses, before granting the loan?
Pamela SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi again

If you mean the application for the actual course with the University/learning provider, then this is something you would need to discuss with them.

Thanks
spidersax
Rep:
?
Ok, I understand.

Thank you for your help. I'm really glad that this method of communication is available.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads