Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going out in a few hours to get stuff and as obviously I'm used to GCSE's, I'm just wondering, should I be getting anything different? I'll obviously get the usuals, pens, pencils, ruler, rubber.. but do I need anything else? Ie should I get myself an academic diary, folders.. revision guides.. etc? I'm taking English Lit, Psychology, Sociology, Art and Spanish. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Get some folders. A lot of your work will now just be done on paper to put into folders.
    Don't worry about revision guides yet, you can get those later in the year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! :] One folder for each subject?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's probably best

ReputationRep:
    Folder dividers

ReputationRep:
    The only stationary I carried around with me in my first year, was a biro in my back pocket.

Will do the same this year.

I did have folders and paper though, in my locker. That's about the barest essentials you will need.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into as levels to and i got my dividers from Tesco, 9p for a set!

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to get some paper pads and notebooks, because our teachers don't give us any paper at all! If you're doing art maybe art materials but you probably know that anyway. Erm index cards maybe if you're gonna have a lot of words or things you need to learn the meaning of, eg. I used them last year for maths formulas.

As for books and revision guides, wait until you start because you don't know what exam board you'll be with and whether you can get them cheaper from school.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, if I do I'll post it.

ReputationRep:
    Diaries are useful to write down homework, coursework deadlines etc if you are as forgetful as me

ReputationRep:
    Does your school not provide you with an academic diary at the beginning of the year? (perhaps that's where all my school funds go for)

i think by buying revision guides now that you have advantage, as when in class the teacher may talk about something you don't understand then later you can look into it.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad, but buying stationery has got to be the best bit about getting ready to go back to school! I love it! In our school everyone seems to have a large folder and put all their subjects in it with dividers, although I can that using separate folders, especially if you have a locker to put them in, is a logical decision! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paint-paradise)
    It's sad, but buying stationery has got to be the best bit about getting ready to go back to school! I love it! In our school everyone seems to have a large folder and put all their subjects in it with dividers, although I can that using separate folders, especially if you have a locker to put them in, is a logical decision! xxx
    Haha samee! To my friend, in WH Smith, I was like, 'Do you think it'd be really sad if I bought white sticky labels for each folder and neatly write, like.. Psychology.. English literature.. so on.' Hahah. He was like 'Uhhhm..... no?' I love it, I love the atmosphere of WH Smith when everyone goes back haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm lazy - just a folder for each subject. And for Maths I make my own module dividers

ReputationRep:
    my college gave us all a folder for each subject and some paper (although not enough to last the whole year) and we also got a planner, to write homework and stuff in...so maybe you should wait til you go back til you buy planner/diary/folders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her-own-wings)
    Haha samee! To my friend, in WH Smith, I was like, 'Do you think it'd be really sad if I bought white sticky labels for each folder and neatly write, like.. Psychology.. English literature.. so on.' Hahah. He was like 'Uhhhm..... no?' I love it, I love the atmosphere of WH Smith when everyone goes back haha.
    I'm worse. For maths, I have a separate folder for each module and the folders are the same colour as the textbooks. (C1-4 are green, S1-4 are blue, M1-5 (when I get there) are orange and D1-2 are purple. Exception is FP1-3 which are black, for some unknown reason). Why, yes, I do have OCD... why do you ask? :rolleyes: (actually I don't but it saves me a lot of time having to think or work out what's in each folder, I just go for the colour. )
    And yes, they all have sticky labels on with my name and the module code.
    (Same for Physics/Chem/Blodge and Music, too. Shoot me now.)

But I love getting new stationery! The thing I miss about having colour-coded folders is that they're all boring plain folders and none of them are at all pretty or patterned.

ReputationRep:
    I have a stationary fetish! Staples might possible be one of my favourite shops!

I bought some coloured pens and biros before my exams so will probably use them, as they're still quite new, and we haven't been told about folders yet so I'll wait until we are.

My school gives us a homework diary.

ReputationRep:
    Rember to get highlighters for all the pages of notes your teachers give you.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the same thing actually so, thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    i got some revision guides because i found that after my gcse mocks (jan) i was constantly picking them up for reference with homework, even though i wasn't revising from them for my real exams. idk, i found them a real help when i had either left my textbook at school by accident, wanted more information or just didn't understand anything.

i'd get some! also waterstones are doing a 2 for 1 on revision guides, so it's the perfect time to get them tbh.

hahaha also i'm glad i'm not the only geek who likes to buy stationery...

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE stationary... but sadly, I don't think that going to university provides an excuse to go on a mass shop...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.