metaljoe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The function y=sin^3x has five stationary points in, negative pi is less than or equal to x and positive pi is greater than or equal to x.
Find dy/dx and find the coordinates of the five stationary points:
I have found dy/dx: 3cosxsin^2x and made it equal to zero but don't know where to go from there!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nerak99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The equation 3cosxsin^2x=0 has solution between -pi and pi where either cos x is zero or sin^2x is zero.

sin^2 x is zero at -pi, 0 and pi. Cos x is zero at -pi/2 and +pi/2 and so you have turning points at -pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2 and pi.

To see them, plot sin^3x and 3cosxsin^2x on the same axes. (fooplot.com is good). (attached)

Name:  save.png
Views: 89
Size:  19.8 KB
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by metaljoe)
The function y=sin^3x has five stationary points in, negative pi is less than or equal to x and positive pi is greater than or equal to x.
Find dy/dx and find the coordinates of the five stationary points:
I have found dy/dx: 3cosxsin^2x and made it equal to zero but don't know where to go from there!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
When solving trigonometric equations in C2 you used identities to simplify equations that had a mixture of trig functions.
Use one of those identities to replace the sin^2x and rewrite in terms of just cosx
Factorise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
metaljoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by nerak99)
The equation 3cosxsin^2x=0 has solution between -pi and pi where either cos x is zero or sin^2x is zero.

sin^2 x is zero at -pi, 0 and pi. Cos x is zero at -pi/2 and +pi/2 and so you have turning points at -pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2 and pi.

To see them, plot sin^3x and 3cosxsin^2x on the same axes. (fooplot.com is good). (attached)

Name:  save.png
Views: 89
Size:  19.8 KB
Thank you for the help!! Have a nice rest of your week
metaljoe
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
When solving trigonometric equations in C2 you used identities to simplify equations that had a mixture of trig functions.
Use one of those identities to replace the sin^2x and rewrite in terms of just cosx
Factorise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will use the advice. Thank you !!
nerak99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by metaljoe)
I will use the advice. Thank you !!
It is worth pointing out that 3cosxsin^2x=0 is already factorised and going through the process described by gdunne42 is possible but entirely redundant.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nerak99)
It is worth pointing out that 3cosxsin^2x=0 is already factorised and going through the process described by gdunne42 is possible but entirely redundant.
True, I didn't consider that when I looked at it. Guess I was locked in trig identity mode from doing other questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads