Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sixth Form Colleges UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which Six Form College do you go to and how difficult was the admissions procedure? Did you refer to League tables before making your choice?

(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Which Six Form College do you go to and how difficult was the admissions procedure? Did you refer to League tables before making your choice?
    I attended Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College. The minimum entry requirements are 5 GCSE'a at grades A-C. I did not refer to the league tables because geographically it was a choice between the Sixth Form and the local College which provides AVCE's and BTEC's only. I wanted to do A'2 therefore my choice was forced upon me.

ReputationRep:
    I go a 'top ten' sixthform college, which is a massive achievement because you only need 5 A-Cs and we still get 100% pass rate in the majority of subjects, my choice was made in mainly the same was as you, there was only a choice of 2, one rubbish one great, i think most good sixth forms are spread out and you have to pick the best and nearest

i really had no choice so i stayed at school, only other option for me really. We have one sixth form college and in my opinion it is not very good at all..well it is near the bottom of the local legue table whereas my school is the 3rd state school..the top few are all private schools so not an option either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I attended Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College. The minimum entry requirements are 5 GCSE'a at grades A-C. I did not refer to the league tables because geographically it was a choice between the Sixth Form and the local College which provides AVCE's and BTEC's only. I wanted to do A'2 therefore my choice was forced upon me.

Eeeeeeeeeh my dad went there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    I go a 'top ten' sixthform college, which is a massive achievement because you only need 5 A-Cs and we still get 100% pass rate in the majority of subjects, my choice was made in mainly the same was as you, there was only a choice of 2, one rubbish one great, i think most good sixth forms are spread out and you have to pick the best and nearest

Which College is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Which College is this?
    NEW college in pontefract, www.newcollpont.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    There are league tables for sixth form colleges? I didn't know that. Can someone tell me the website for it?

ReputationRep:
    I go to a top 10 college; I only needed 2 Bs and 5 Cs and an interview. It is the local sixth form for me though as my high school did not have one, not that I would've gone to it if it did

ReputationRep:
    I had a pretty good choice of colleges near. Most you need is 5 C's, but at one there were interviews and you needed 8 B's I think. Ended up going to my the college attatched to my high school. Others involved to much travel.

ReputationRep:
    I go to one of a few local 6th form colleges. As my school didn't have a 6th form I had the option of a few different private school 6ths or a college and I chose a college as I believe that I'd get similar grades whichever and the college would be much better socially. I think it was 5Cs inc 2Bs and Maths and English to get in, although you needed A/Bs for certain subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I just continued on at my school (6th form) to do A-Levels. The minimum entry requirements are 4 A-C's at GCSE, so it wasn't competitive. Some people left, the rest stayed on.

Regretting not changing 6th forms now though.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I live out in the woods somewhat I simply progressed to the sixth form at my secondary school. Their entry requirements are 5Cs and Bs in the subjects you wish to pursue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    I simply progressed to the sixth form at my secondary school.
    The same for me. The entry requirements were 5 A-Cs, including at least C grades in English lit and Langauge.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite sure that more than 10 people all going to different sixth forms have claimed to be going somewhere in the "top 10"!!

My choice of college was quite simple - it was the one nearest to me (about 10 minutes away). Me and a friend picked up a form and filled it in at the pub. No interview or anything, just got a letter telling me I was accepted. I'm not even aware it has entrance requirements!!

Its nowhere near top 10, infact if anything its probably lingering around the bottom, but educations what you make it (unless your one of these stuck-up gits who insist on only going to "the best" in the hope Oxbridge will be impressed). I'm still leaving my college with AAAA predicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I am quite sure that more than 10 people all going to different sixth forms have claimed to be going somewhere in the "top 10"!!

I agree!! I doubt all of you go to a top ten college! These require grades like AAAAA in GCSE........

Misleading info... And i know for sure that New College is not top ten:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,3321,00.html

Well... Im going to Bradfield College. Anyone heard of it?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to go to the sixth from at my school, even thought I automatically had a place.

I had a choice between Aquinas in Stockport and Hyde, in Hyde, both of which I think wanted 5 A-Cs. I had an informal interview at both of them, but I think I had a good chance at Aquinas anyway because I was Catholic. I went for Hyde in the end, because it was 15 minutes down the road rather than a long bus journey every morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    That is true, though they vary from paper to paper, and there is the sixth form college and the school with sixth form list

ReputationRep:
    Harris CTC: it was easy for me cause i went to thte seconady school. however to enter the sixth form college you have to have an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    I just continued on at my school (6th form) to do A-Levels. The minimum entry requirements are 4 A-C's at GCSE, so it wasn't competitive. Some people left, the rest stayed on.

Regretting not changing 6th forms now though.
    Same here. But I didn't regret staying on at all. This was my last year in Sixth Form and grades pending, I am off to uni in September.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.