Help! Doing an economics degree but don't want to work in finance/corporate work? Watch

fayeztheman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing an economics and finance degree at uni, first year. I initially chose the degree because I really liked the subject at school and got an a* in it and I still do really enjoy it at uni. But the thing is that I was previously quite interested in pursuing a career in banking or accounting. It's something that I've always been surrounded with since my family is made of mainly accountants and people working in business/marketing. I did some work placements last summer and enjoyed it so I thought 'hey, let's do economics and go into finance or accounting'.

But lately, I've just lost passion for it. I don't see the value to society in it and I don't feel that working with financial statements and stuff is really helping anyone. If you think about it, audits are just something the company has to do. Accountants are just people that the company has to hire. I don't feel that I'm benefitting society that much and won't be making a big difference to the world. But I'm stuck a bit because I'm doing economics, and there aren't any career options that I know that I can do with it apart from finance or business.

Do you guys know any economics-related jobs that involve helping society and helping make decisions that can have a big effect? I'm considering doing a MSc in economics after my degree because I do really like the subject itself.
fayeztheman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Maybe the GES graduate scheme via the Civil Service Fast stream?

Plenty of charities and NGOs will recruit graduates too in Finance type roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, the GES looks interesting. I'll have a look at the NGO finance jobs as well
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Civil service, economic consulting, economics teaching
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fayeztheman)
I'm doing an economics and finance degree at uni, first year. I initially chose the degree because I really liked the subject at school and got an a* in it and I still do really enjoy it at uni. But the thing is that I was previously quite interested in pursuing a career in banking or accounting. It's something that I've always been surrounded with since my family is made of mainly accountants and people working in business/marketing. I did some work placements last summer and enjoyed it so I thought 'hey, let's do economics and go into finance or accounting'.

But lately, I've just lost passion for it. I don't see the value to society in it and I don't feel that working with financial statements and stuff is really helping anyone. If you think about it, audits are just something the company has to do. Accountants are just people that the company has to hire. I don't feel that I'm benefitting society that much and won't be making a big difference to the world. But I'm stuck a bit because I'm doing economics, and there aren't any career options that I know that I can do with it apart from finance or business.

Do you guys know any economics-related jobs that involve helping society and helping make decisions that can have a big effect? I'm considering doing a MSc in economics after my degree because I do really like the subject itself.
I don't see a rule anywhere that destines your post-university fate to one specific sector? Just pursue what you want to pursue.

Be that NGOs, development work, your own side biz, marketing, journalism - whatever. Get some exposure to the area via internships/networking/shadowing and put your best foot forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (73)
23.93%
No (232)
76.07%

Watched Threads