The Student Room Group

Have you ever watched a women's football match?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by joecphillips
it's like saying why can't the owner of a corner shop earn as much as the owner of Sainsbury's

And why can't they?

Answer: racism
Reply 21
Original post by Wilfred Little
I have actually considered boycotting the sport for this reason.

Only because of sexist fans. They idolise men and will attend matches, purely because they are men!

No because men's football tends to be higher paced and at a higher level when the USA women's team played against a u17 team they got beat 7-2.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Do you really think this?

Yeah, some of the footwork you see from the women that aren't really at the top (The Lionesses aren't up there with the USA women at all, so them for example) rivals some of the top forwards in the Premier League.

Original post by joecphillips
I watched part of USA u20 w v Mexico u20 w this morning

Are you sure that isn't because they have smaller goalkeepers than men but have the same size goals

That would account for some of it, but I'm seeing Phillipe Coutinho style goals from the USA women (I think it was them, it could also have been Liverpool or Chelsea women, I've usually had about 4 drinks by the end - same with the men), and it blows my mind. To be that accurate at that angle from that distance is a proper skill, whether the keeper reaches it or not. If the keeper does reach it it's still an excellent strike, just also an excellent save!
(edited 7 years ago)
As it happens I am going to see a Ladies match in Tamworth this Sunday then again the following weekend in Durham.
I don't care for it at all but I do find it rather baffling that Manchester United still don't have a womens team.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Went to see England play Scotland and I've seen Everton ladies play Chelsea ladies
Got their autographs at the end :smile:
I love Jill Scott

That's awesome, I'm a bit jealous! :tongue:

Have you been to (m)any other matches?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's be real here, women just fail at sport compared to men
Original post by Tom Jickleson
Let's be real here, women just fail at sport compared to men

If that's the case, how come women have made it to the olympics as well as men? What a **** comment to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous1204
If that's the case, how come women have made it to the olympics as well as men? What a **** comment to make

Posted from TSR Mobile

because of gender equality and all that nonsense. Tell me, have you ever watched women's football yourself?
Original post by shadowdweller
That's awesome, I'm a bit jealous! :tongue:

Have you been to (m)any other matches?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are the only women's football matches I've been to but I've seen plenty of men's :smile:
I'd love to see some more! :woo: :jive:
Original post by Anonymous1204

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because women compete against other women. If they competed against men they wouldn't get near the Olympics.
I think there's no denying men's football is on another playing field (:ahee: puns) but I'd still watch women's from time to time, sure.

I would LOVE to see Germany's men vs the USA's women, just for the lolz
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm all for women's football but for me I find a men's match more entertaining and of higher quality. I don't really see the argument of why can't the women be paid more; I think most of us agree footballers are overpaid in general but at the end of the day it's the sponsorship deals, the match day attendances and the rich owners of football clubs choosing to invest in these men's teams which contribute to paying their contracts.

Sport is sport and played for the love of the game, if you look at the Iceland men's team who beat England over the Summer some of them had other jobs on the go as they didn't get paid enough to live by football alone.
I have seen it on TV a couple of times. If I wanted to watch **** football, I could go and watch a Sunday league game for free.
watched most of the women's world cup. Was interesting but honestly the level of skill was much lower, a lot of very basic passing/on the ball errors, conference stuff. Obviously for most a big part of it is they're part timers, they don't have the wages to make it a full time thing. On the flip side the big positive, and something you also see in the MLS (for now..), is that there's practically no simulation at all, they're not going to ground when someone causes the air molecules next to them to move, No diving for free kicks/pens, they actively try to stay up and go for the ball.
I've seen quite a few. Frankly, if you are going to use elite mens football as a comparator, then the womens matches are awful in standard.

If you're going to watch womens sport, then the minority sports are much better to watch as the standards are very equal, or in some cases womens sport is better. Obviously things like netball and hockey or judo etc. Otherwise, it's really disappointing and boring.
Womens football is more a comedy than a sport
Original post by Jimmy Seville
Womens football is more a comedy than a sport

Have you actually seen a women's football match?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by VaticanCameos

Posted from TSR Mobile

[video="youtube;OzPYRFSUlCQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPYRFSUlCQ[/video]
Original post by VaticanCameos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many. Their world cup final was like a slapstick comedy. The defenders were doing the mannequin challenge.

Quick Reply

Latest