Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all.

I have just recieved my AS level results, and I would appriciate some advice on my options for next year. I have really enjoyed maths for the last year, and my confidence in the subject has improved greatly; as a result I find it especially rewarding. My question is, would it be inadvisable for me to do a further maths AS in my second year? I study four subjects currently, and at AS level I found the workload very managable. While I appriciate A2 has a higher workload, I was wondering if people who have done maths/f. maths believe this is achievable?

Thanks in advance.
    Ida.

ReputationRep:
    I did 3 subjects for A2 and started AS Further Maths as well. Didn't find the workload too bad actually (especially since I'd only done 3 subjects for AS). Some of the modules weren't to my liking, but I got through ok. If you enjoy it, I don't think it would be inadvisable you studying it.

ReputationRep:
    'tis achievable, if you're willing to put in the effort, and have the ability.

do what u want. never do cos a gal u fancy is doin it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    do what u want. never do cos a gal u fancy is doin it
    Very good point, as if you do it for this reason, you'll probably find yourself in a different class, or she'll drop out at the last moment, and then you'll be buggered,

Phil

(Original post by PHIL)
    Very good point, as if you do it for this reason, you'll probably find yourself in a different class, or she'll drop out at the last moment, and then you'll be buggered,

Phil
    I have a boyfriend anyway

ReputationRep:
    I have a boyfriend anyway
    Minor difficulty for my point, but nonetheless

Phil

It depends really... if you enjoy maths and did well, then I'd give the further maths a try. If you enjoy maths and got a B or a C then I'd think a bit harder. Further maths is very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot - and isn't as easy or rote learning based as P3 and that. I did further maths as one of five A levels and it was fine - I worked hard especially towards the end of the course, but it was well worth it. Maths and further maths are a good combination too, because with all the practice you get for further maths, you'll find P2 and P3 dead easy.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definately do further if I was you, I didn't do it becuase I felt at the time it would be too much work and now I'm really regretting it. Apart from the fact that I think I would've really enjoyed it, I'm doing a maths degree and the extra back ground work would've come in really useful. I'd say if your looking to go on and study it after A level, it would be advisable to have some more knowledge of the subject.

I'm not wanting to study it after A-level, in all honesty. I just find it very interesting. My boyfriend is very good at maths, and I'm sure he'd be willing to help me. I'm just worried about overburdening myself and having my other subjects suffer.

Anyone able to give me a rough idea how much time itød need a week? My AS was an A, if that's any help at all.

Thanks once again.
    Ida.

I'm not wanting to study it after A-level, in all honesty. I just find it very interesting. My boyfriend is very good at maths, and I'm sure he'd be willing to help me. I'm just worried about overburdening myself and having my other subjects suffer.

Anyone able to give me a rough idea how much time itød need a week? My AS was an A, if that's any help at all.

Thanks once again.
    Ida.

If you do enjoy math just go for it! I remember getting 25/100 for a mock M1 paper but I was so interested in the subject I ended up with 97 in my AS! I did A2 in the same year and my lowest score was 90. You see when the interest is there u automatically adjust to your surrounding. As for study time Im never specific on that. Id study when I feel like it. Id advise three steps for learning math

1. learn the method to the fullest (do practice q's on every part of the syllabus)
    2. Check for accuracy (remember the kinds of mistakes u r prone to, i remember I used to always put < instead of <= for some q's and use sin when arcsin should be used on the cal. once u remember those mistakes u r likely to make u wont make them
    3. Speed- once u master the above 2 go for speed. it should be as fast as possible so that no major mistakes. Once u finish quickly u cood always check back.

ReputationRep:
    I tried Further Maths because I got an A* at GCSE, and the teachers said I'd be good at it.

Well frankly, I wasn't. But luckily, because I'd been taught a full maths A level in one year, I dropped down to standard Maths, and had the opportunity to be retaught P2, M2, and P3.

Yes, it cost me an AS level, but it was far better to get a B in Maths, than it would have been to fail both Maths and Further Maths.

My advice to anyone is - if you like maths, try it. It works for some people, doesn't work for others.

Just respect the awesome people who can do Further Maths and get good grades in it

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I have just recieved my AS level results, and I would appriciate some advice on my options for next year. I have really enjoyed maths for the last year, and my confidence in the subject has improved greatly; as a result I find it especially rewarding. My question is, would it be inadvisable for me to do a further maths AS in my second year? I study four subjects currently, and at AS level I found the workload very managable. While I appriciate A2 has a higher workload, I was wondering if people who have done maths/f. maths believe this is achievable?

Thanks in advance.
    Ida.
    I am sure you are capable to do AS futher maths. I believed that if you have a good maths foundation, AS further maths will not be a tough challenge for you.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)

Phil
    Or fluffing a subject you weren't right for - like I did!!!

Elisabeth=)
    Grown up since then....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2003
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.