username2905396
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I have a chemistry exam on Tuesday. I'm little bit confused as how I could identify whether a substance is an acid, alkaline or salt:

Acid+Alkali-->Salt + water.
Acid+Metal--> Salt+hydrogen.
Acid+metal carbonate--> salt+water+carbondioxide
Acid+metal--> salt+water

How would I know what would be a salt and how do I know which reactant is acid/alkali?
Many thanks
lizardlizard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you know what form the reactants will be given in? e.g.
HCl + NaOH -> H2O + NaCl
or
Hydrochlorid acid + Sodium hydroxide -> Water + Sodium chloride
If you're given the names, a lot of acids have "acid" in their name, and a lot of alkalis have "hydroxide".
If you're given formula, you should know 3 main acids, sulfuric acid H2SO4, nitric acid HNO3, and hydrochloric acid HCl. One rough definition is that a lot of acids will only contain non-metals, whereas a lot of alkalis contain metals and non metals e.g. KOH.
This is a really difficult question to answer, and even at higher levels there is no absolute definition of which chemicals are alkalis. I highly doubt at GCSE level they would give you a chemical formula and expect you to work out if it is an acid or alkali.
A.J.Rimmer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Acids produce H+ ions when added to water, alkalis produce OH- (hydroxide) ions when added to water, so if you have the formulae that can help you decide.
For example, HCl is hydrochloric acid (H+ ion and Cl- ion), and NaOH is sodium hydroxide, an alkali (Na+ ion, OH- ion).
lizardlizard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by A.J.Rimmer)
Acids produce H+ ions when added to water, alkalis produce OH- (hydroxide) ions when added to water, so if you have the formulae that can help you decide.
For example, HCl is hydrochloric acid (H+ ion and Cl- ion), and NaOH is sodium hydroxide, an alkali (Na+ ion, OH- ion).
This is completely true, but you have to be really careful with this definition, as you have things like carboxylic acids (for example HCOOH) which would seem like an alkali due to the OH at the end, but are actually acids. Also remember that not every compound with H is an acid, for example methane CH4 is not acidic or alkaline.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed