Driving test, fail it five times and your out, is it fair?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just read in the news that there are tough new plans for the driving test. One of those is that candidates who fail 5 times within 2 years can't apply for anymore driving tests until 24 months after their last fail.

The government claims that people who fail multiple times are not likely to be competent drivers should they pass their test and also questions if they're actually safe having lessons on the road.

Also plans to require the theory test to be passed before a provisional licence is issued so you can't take practical lessons on the public road until you've passed your theory test.

How the hell is this fair?
ddrrzzeerr
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Sounds fair enough to me. 5 failures is a lot. You should learn to drive properly rather than just keep taking the test until you get lucky. With how long the wait is at test centers, people shouldn't be able to take unlimited numbers.

I know there are a few people who can drive well but then get so worked up and nervous during the test, they do something stupid and fail but I think if you have failed 5 times, it's probably time to have a break. 2 years isn't long to wait.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have to agree with the above. At first when I read the thread title I thought they would be prevented from ever learning to drive again. I was thinking how unfair and unjust that was. But having to wait 24 months is probably a good idea.
Stacyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems fair, even if you've had some small slip ups due to the pressure of examination. It is very unlikely you'd fail 5 times unless you weren't ready.

Also I think everyone should know theory first before being allowed on the roads at all. It's not like the theory test is that long or time consuming.
ManiaMuse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds perfectly fair to me. It's a waste of the examiners' time as well if someone is failing a test 10+ times a year that could be used for examining other candidates who are actually ready for the test. There is enough of a waiting list at many centres as there is.

Failing a driving test on the first attempt isn't that uncommon. In fact it's almost a right of passage, I probably know more people who passed second or third time than first time. Nerves can get the better of a lot of learners, especially on the first attempt, and occasionally they can get unlucky with being asked to perform their least favourite manoeuvres or being taken on one of the trickier test routes from a driving centre.

But really if you fail five times within two years, that probably means you've had (or at least should have had) at least 80-100 hours of lessons, you really should be competent enough to pass the test by then. I think this proposal is more just to discourage learner drivers who are struggling with lessons from feeling pressured to attempt the test before they are actually ready because they've had X hours of lessons and feel they should be taking the test by then.

The theory test before being issued a provisional licence makes sense to me as well. It's not hard to pass, in fact I'd say it's hard to fail.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[Citation required]
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems fair to me,
first of all you can have the theory over and done with in a month..it's hardly time consuming. Then you get 2 years to pass your test..
Personally I think if you mess up on the test because of the pressure you shouldn't be driving anyway. Driving isn't always smooth sailing, sometimes you are put into extremely stressful situations and if you can't cope with that in a safe, controlled environment (the examiner can always stop you if they absolutely need to) how are you gonna cope in a stressful situation on your own...
If you fail 5 times you need to go away and completely revaluate (and probably get a new instructor) and start again
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I failed 4 times and passed fifth

you need luck on a driving test and you also need a none asshat of an examiner. I think the idea is ridiculous.

There are a lot of very good drivers that are simply bad at the test.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You most certainly do not need luck on a driving test. If you are able to do all the maneuvers that shall be tested and are proficient at driving then you are passing based on skill, not luck. The risks of driving don't magically decrease once your test is over (if anything they increase) but people that do not have an accident are not "lucky" but safe.
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VMD100)
You most certainly do not need luck on a driving test. If you are able to do all the maneuvers that shall be tested and are proficient at driving then you are passing based on skill, not luck. The risks of driving don't magically decrease once your test is over (if anything they increase) but people that do not have an accident are not "lucky" but safe.
I've failed a test for driving on the right of the dual carriageway for too long before...
username2703735
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yaboi)
I've failed a test before for driving on the right of the dual carriageway for too long before...
The right hand lane? So how can cars pass you without having to undertake?
Yaboi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VMD100)
The right hand lane? So how can cars pass you without having to undertake?
That's the thing, it was judged 'too long' because I was waiting for a way to go back onto the left. Because I was around 5 seconds over what the examiner wanted I got a fail for that.

Hardly unsafe.
username2703735
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yaboi)
That's the thing, it was judged 'too long' because I was waiting for a way to go back onto the left. Because I was around 5 seconds over what the examiner wanted I got a fail for that.

Hardly unsafe.
It is nigh on impossible to cast judgement without all facts, such as the time the examiner expected you to return to the left hand lane. It could be unsafe in the sense other drivers may not be as cautious as someone on their test/a new driver and therefore make the decision to undertake you - endangering both you, them and other road users.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yaboi)

you need luck on a driving test and you also need a none asshat of an examiner. I think the idea is ridiculous.

In year 1 you could have a driving test in Jan and fail. Fail the test in June, Fail in November.

Year 2 Fail the test in April and again fail in September and that's it no more tests for another 2 years! I mean how gutted would a candidate feel after failing their last test?

Some ministers are even considering limiting it to only 3 tests which is even worse

It's like at the college there are some students who are excellent A* grade students at coursework but fall to bits in exams.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackieox)
Seems fair to me,
first of all you can have the theory over and done with in a month..it's hardly time consuming. Then you get 2 years to pass your test..
Personally I think if you mess up on the test because of the pressure you shouldn't be driving anyway. Driving isn't always smooth sailing, sometimes you are put into extremely stressful situations and if you can't cope with that in a safe, controlled environment (the examiner can always stop you if they absolutely need to) how are you gonna cope in a stressful situation on your own...
If you fail 5 times you need to go away and completely revaluate (and probably get a new instructor) and start again
I think it could lead to more people driving without a full licence, people getting fake pass certificates or even bribing officials for a pass.
Its not a good idea.
l'etranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yaboi)
I've failed a test for driving on the right of the dual carriageway for too long before...
I passed second time so I don't care about this proposal, but this is the reason I am so opposed to it, you can fail for such petty reasons. I mean I am a nutty as hell driver who was jumped red lights doing 40mph and all sorts of **** but tbh it's too easy to fail.
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds fair to me...

If you fail 5 tests there's something wrong somewhere. It also prevents people taking tests when they aren't ready, which should reduce waiting times somewhat.

As for the theory test? That's a bit grey for me tbh. I can see instructors teaching a lot of that in lessons. But saying that, I was also taught a bit of theory in schools, which, imo, should be done across the country as well as some basic first aid.
Saying that though, a good portion of the theory test is honestly just common sense. The HP part... I don't even know how people fail it, it's simple.

I do have to say that 2 years seems a bit lengthy... Personally, I would say 6 months would be better. It's a nice, short amount of time to get more experience on the road.

"But nerves, hurr durr"
If a driving test gets you worked up, how do you think you'd feel doing a hill start in front of a queue of cars, or what if you stalled (even experienced drivers stall every now and then) and then had to do that? How would you handle emergency vehicles approaching? ect... If you fail 5 times because of nerves, then I can only do one of two things... Call you out on your BS and tell you the truth (you're a bad driver and shouldn't be on the road) or only emphasise my point even more.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
Sounds fine to me. Just dont try another attempt without more practice.
username2908878
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yaboi)

Same here, i passed on my fifth go ! I paid for it all myself so it's not like I'm 'taking someone else's space ', I was ready just suffered From terrible nerves! Even if I failed again I wouldn't feel less nervous 24 months later , Id probably make me More anxious
will'o'wisp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Just read in the news that there are tough new plans for the driving test. One of those is that candidates who fail 5 times within 2 years can't apply for anymore driving tests until 24 months after their last fail.

The government claims that people who fail multiple times are not likely to be competent drivers should they pass their test and also questions if they're actually safe having lessons on the road.

Also plans to require the theory test to be passed before a provisional licence is issued so you can't take practical lessons on the public road until you've passed your theory test.

How the hell is this fair?
Fair but it's all about the money, bit more on the money side than safety but still, if u wantin to get lucky that's a no no.
Also that theory test thign is so they can ring in more money too for the DVLA
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (17)
31.48%
No - I have already returned home (8)
14.81%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (10)
18.52%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (2)
3.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (17)
31.48%

Watched Threads