1tnedutS
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently studying for my AS levels (maths, biology, chemistry and geography) and want to go into drug development. I have so far done some work experience in a lab for developing a drug. I am wondering how to get into this field of work and am thinking about studying biochemistry, is this the best option?
Rockyboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Completely misleading
Spoiler:
Show

Thought he asked how to start doing drugs
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 1tnedutS)
I am currently studying for my AS levels (maths, biology, chemistry and geography) and want to go into drug development. I have so far done some work experience in a lab for developing a drug. I am wondering how to get into this field of work and am thinking about studying biochemistry, is this the best option?
It depends what kinda aspect you want to go into. Drug development involves biologists who look at and study drug targets and chemists that actually find the molecules that bind to these targets and synthesise them. Biochemistry (despite its name) tends to be more towards the biology side of things. Biological chemistry/medicinal chemistry/just straight chemistry would be a good option for getting more into the chemical side of things. Any biological course would be good for studying targets but biochemistry/molecular biology would probably train you best.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rockyboy)
Completely misleading
Spoiler:
Show

Thought he asked how to start doing drugs

I was about to hit the report button until I read the OP.
Rockyboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
I was about to hit the report button until I read the OP.
:laugh:
1tnedutS
Rep:
?
Thanks Asklepios, i want to go into the chemical side of it. What is the biology/chemistry ratio in biochemistry roughly?
1tnedutS
Rep:
?
Haha i should have phrased the title better sorry oops
PeteM01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also biological chemistry and pharmacology (not pharmacy!) degrees, but a general biochemistry or chemistry degree would give the widest choice of career.

Biochemistry tends to be quite light on the actual chemistry these days, but a combination with biological chemistry or straight chemistry is available. Alternatively, chemistry plus biomedical science might be a good option for you.
DarkEnergy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pharmacology maybe?
1tnedutS
Rep:
?
I was thinking about maybe studying pharmacology but I can't find much information on it, is it a new course?
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was thinking about maybe studying pharmacology but I can't find much information on it, is it a new course?
Pharmacology is essentially the study of how drugs act in the body, from what their biological action is to how they are absorbed, metabolised and excreted. It wouldn't give you very much in terms of the chemistry of drug discovery though. Though like a previous poster said, a joint honours is always possible.

I would go for straight chemistry or biological chemistry as your main degree then pick up outside courses in biochemistry/pharmacology, but it depends what you enjoy.
1tnedutS
Rep:
?
Ok thankyou very much for replying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads