The Student Room Group

memorising vs 'proper intelligence'

Do you try and memorise things when you revise or just keep trying to understand them. Do you think memorising stuff is lame and just trying to pass exams or actually a good way to get better grades.
I do both.
When revising I'll go through the work topic by topic trying to understand and read around the subject a bit. Then I'll write it down repeatedly until I've memorised it. It's a mixture of both memory and understanding as many questions in exams are application questions. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MapleMaypole
I do both.
When revising I'll go through the work topic by topic trying to understand and read around the subject a bit. Then I'll write it down repeatedly until I've memorised it. It's a mixture of both memory and understanding as many questions in exams are application questions. :smile:

This :smile:
Since most exam questions past GCSE are application ones, I focus less on memorising and more on reading around the topic.
Reply 4
I don't know how to revise 😭😩😩😩😭

Anyone have any tips?
Reply 5
Original post by karl pilkington
Do you try and memorise things when you revise or just keep trying to understand them. Do you think memorising stuff is lame and just trying to pass exams or actually a good way to get better grades.

both obviously, even if you understand concepts you still have to keep them in your head lol
Memorising is for GCSEs - it's lame. I try to understand what I learn in lessons, and do a bit of research if I still struggle to understand. Once you actually understand the facts, you'll find that they are much easier to memorise.
All knowledge is memory really. Even if you understand something, you still need to remember your understanding of it. Understanding is a shortcut way of memorising information because it cuts down the amount you need to remember.
I try to understand maths, FM and physics. I just memorise history dates/facts so I have something to throw in my essays :tongue:
memory = proper intellegenec
Your absolutely right

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you truly understand something then you will never have to revise to remember it.

this is why i think writing notes and stuff are just stupid for maths. If you know what maths actually is then you don't need to remember much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending