What is a good time for a beginner runner to run 3k? Watch

Charlotte492
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've been running for a few weeks now, 3k is my usual distance with my fastest time being 21:56 minutes? I'm not a quick runner just looking to get fit and lose some weight . What do you think of this time and any tips? Thanks!
ni1834
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its not a great time to be honest but the important thing is that you are making an effort to keep fit and enjoying it. It takes work when i first started running it took me 10mins to do a mile i can now do a sub 7minute mile you just have to work at it. Also are you a boy or girl because girls tend to be slower. Just keep working at it and im sure youl get faster some people are just naturally faster than others but keep at it its good your actually doing something!! Even if you run slow your still running faster than the people who couldn't be bothered to get up off the sofa and make an effort.
Keep at it!
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you are running for fitness then don't get too worked up over the time. The only reason to think about time is relative to your own previous times, as a gauge of your improvement.

Rather than stress about the time taken to run 3k look to just gradually increase the time you run for: 25 mins, 30 mins, 40 mins etc. If you have only been running a few weeks then you will definitely be able to reduce your time for 3k after a while but you will probably be more interested in your times for 5k and 10k by then as well.

Also build up gradually so as not to end up damaging your unconditioned knees.
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am overweight by around a stone and run 6.5 k in 30 mins but i am a rugby player so i am fairly fit. You should be running faster than that but you will improve over time, since i have lost 2 stone, i am much faster now.
Shelbz_anne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’m a girl and I have ran 3k before when I was 7 8 and 9 but got into an injury and hadn’t ran in 4 years until Friday. On Friday I ran 3k in 23 minutes and 17 seconds and I just can’t wait to beat that next Friday☺️🥳😍
TracyK36
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I can't believe people are saying 'its not a great time' and 'you should be 🏃 faster' . I think it's a fab time. I do 3k in just under 22 minutes. The way I see it is, I get out there and run. I'm only in competition with myself and want to beat my own time. Well done for doing it . I'm hoping to do 3k in 20minutes as that's my own personal goal. Not sure I'll ever do it though 🤣🤣
M..
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How do people run so fast!? I run 3k in 40min and I’m not overweight. I do have mild asthma and I’m running at a VERY high altitude (9000ft asl) but still I’m amazed by all your times! I’m giving it all my effort and have been running 4 times a week for a month now, cutting my time in half doesn’t even seem like realistic goal 😔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
18.82%
Labour (105)
41.18%
Liberal Democrats (52)
20.39%
Green Party (15)
5.88%
Brexit Party (7)
2.75%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.57%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)