Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was talkin to my mate who smokes and there's me who doesn't, anyway I said surely you'd become addicted after say 20 **** in a few days, and he said nope..would take a few hundred **** over the space of a few weeks to become addicted

Thoughts? How many does it actually take to become addicted? obviously everyone is different but there must be an average

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were addicted after only about four...?

I have probably smoked somewhere between 500-700 in my life (over a space of about 6 years). I'm not hooked. Having said that, I smoked about 50 in the past two weeks (I was around a lot of smokers) and for the first time, since getting home, I have found myself thinking about smoking. I haven't smoked for about three days though, and am not planning to.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about addiction but i do have a cure...

I am reluctant to reveal it but it worked for my friend. I found this cure whilst drunk with my mate who smokes.

Its all about pain. If he/she light up, jab the lit fag end into thier neck, the immdeiate pain will remind them not to smoke again. failing this cause more damage. I admit this was accidental, i jabbed a glow stickk up his nose and it bleed for 3 weeks and he had to have it quarterised. I said to him 'thats what will happen when the tar blocks your heart and you die'

He is now only smoking weed and rollups!

RESULT.

ReputationRep:
    Rollups are still **** so hows that a result? Still have loads of crap in them

I think a few **** a week isnt guna cause any harm/make you become addicted tbh. Not sure though as obviously ive never had the cravings of a smoker. I reckon 20+ in a few days would do it.

ReputationRep:
    How is smoking weed and rollups better? I think you can get addicted after 5, but i suppose it depends on the individual. I think a lot of smokers deny they are addicted even though they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    after say 20 **** in a few days
    I hope you used condoms...

ReputationRep:
    It is a result because he is no longer smoking ****.

Yes weed and roll ups are still dnagerous but they are not ****.

ReputationRep:
    When you smoke cannabis you mix it with tobacco and I've started to crave tobacco as a result of smoking cannabis 4 or 5 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    i socially smoked for about a year; on average i'd have about 10 cigs a week.
    i wasn't hooked, and i've been clean for a year. i'm not even tempted anymore, it smells nasty and makes your teeth yellow.
    i guess it depends how much willpower you have, really.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what brand of cigarettes you smoke and how much nicotine is in each fag. So basically it's different for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's just stupid altogether. Why are we talking about the possibility of smoking without addiction, when smoking in the first place is utterly pointless? It tastes nasty (unless you're a masochist), it has no physiological effect on you (until you're addicted), and immediately makes you stink. Why? Why not put a cigarette into your ear? It would do less harm and make your breath better, and you'd still be carrying out the action of putting a little burning stick into an orifice!

When you walk past someone sucking on a little paper roll of burning leaves, and really consider it for a second, it's no less ridiculous than walking past someone sticking pencils up their nose, or pouring screenwash over their head. Except the pencils might remove bogies and the screenwash might get grease out of your hair. Smoking has far worse effects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    It's just stupid altogether. Why are we talking about the possibility of smoking without addiction, when smoking in the first place is utterly pointless?
    No it isn't, I'm not physically addicted to it (well, I don't really believe in addiction as such...) and I enjoy smoking thoroughly on occasion.

When you walk past someone sucking on a little paper roll of burning leaves, and really consider it for a second, it's no less ridiculous than walking past someone sticking pencils up their nose, or pouring screenwash over their head. Except the pencils might remove bogies and the screenwash might get grease out of your hair. Smoking has far worse effects!
    Um, if you really consider most things in modern life they seem faintly ridiculous.

(Original post by Foobso)
    I thought you were addicted after only about four...?
    Ha! No.

ReputationRep:
    Some people feel addiction after one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    Um, if you really consider most things in modern life they seem faintly ridiculous.
    What could possibly be more ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    That's probably addiction to the act of smoking as opposed to addiction to the drug - the two are very different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persuasion)
    That's probably addiction to the act of smoking as opposed to addiction to the drug - the two are very different things.
    Perhaps techically different, but they are both an addiction that causes further smoking.

ReputationRep:
    What could possibly be more ridiculous?
    Moving a mechanical instrument shaped vaguely like a fat rat in order to make little pixels on a screen move about...

Frankly, TSR is ten times more ridiculous than sticking things you like in the appropriate receptor.

Some people feel addiction after one.
    And some people get 'addicted' to PC games after seeing them in a magazine... it's an illogical basis on which you use the (already very debased) concept of addiction.

ReputationRep:
    From what I understant physical cannabis addiction is virtually non-existant, its mainly mental addiction. However smoking it with tobacco produces that nicotine dependecy in regular smokers of it, just like regular smokers.

As for myself, I'm not addicted to smoking, I smoke 20 a day and can proudly say I'm not addicted whatsoever. At all. Brb, need a fag...

ReputationRep:
    It's just stupid altogether. Why are we talking about the possibility of smoking without addiction, when smoking in the first place is utterly pointless? It tastes nasty (unless you're a masochist), it has no physiological effect on you (until you're addicted), and immediately makes you stink. Why? Why not put a cigarette into your ear? It would do less harm and make your breath better, and you'd still be carrying out the action of putting a little burning stick into an orifice!

Actually I like the taste. This is purely because of my ENT problems, I have virtually no taste at all, I can taste only strong/spicy things, extremely sweet and tobacco. Which is why I also love cigars. Does this make me a 'masochist'?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.