Claudia Brito
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm been doing AS AQA Law and I didn't understand what GBH s.18 or s.20 is all about .. Im finding myself lost with the meaning's of it , and also with how the actus reus and mens rea works alongside with those. If anyone could try to simplify that in a easy way to understand i would be really grateful
Audrey18
Badges: 21
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Claudia Brito)
I'm been doing AS AQA Law and I didn't understand what GBH s.18 or s.20 is all about .. Im finding myself lost with the meaning's of it , and also with how the actus reus and mens rea works alongside with those. If anyone could try to simplify that in a easy way to understand i would be really grateful
believe me many students till now have never understoord 18, 20 and 47 cos most lecturers aren't that good to begin with. I suggest u read the textbook first. then tell u what u make of it and then wait for others to reply to u.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It took me awhile to understand both s20 and 18. It can seem rather daunting at first, but it can be relatively understood.

The main difference between s20 and s18 is the level of intention required for them. s20 has both intention and recklessness, but s18 only has intention. s18 is requires a higher level of intention. S20 is inflicting grievous bodily harm and malicious wounding, but s18 is causing grievous bodily harm and resisting arrest. In law, causing GBH is seen as more serious than inflicting GBH.

Furthermore, s20 has a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment. This is in stark contrast to s18, which can hold a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (115)
86.47%
No (18)
13.53%

Watched Threads