PC or laptop? Watch

gracefully
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Is either actually required, or are there enough facilities provided by the college to, say, use the library when required? Taking JMC course... Any input appreciated
Gimperial
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont understand why people are obsessed with spreading their love of Apple, especially when they add some kind of bull**** like "its better for multimedia" or something.

Someone care to explain what advantage a mac has over a properlysetup windows system? I can certainly think of a lot of advantages that Windows has. As far as I see, there is a big price premium attached to the Apple brand, while reducing the number of tasks you can do on your computer.
Maffian
Report 11 years ago
:dito:
abdulk87
Report 11 years ago
Hey, I have to decide on what laptop to buy for college. I'm not a big fan of apple either. What would you guys recommend out of this list?

1) Sony Vaio FZ
2) Sony Vaio CR
3) Dell Inspiron 1520
4) Hp Pavillion Dv6500/2500
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you do JMC (or Computing, or ISE, or EEE) a computer would be really useful, almost essential, especially if you're not in one of the halls next to campus (you could use the labs then, but they close at 23h00).

Lots of people in Computing (inc. JMC etc) have laptops. One or two bring them to lectures, but it's not really worth it unless you want to distract yourself playing games. There's always computers free in the lab, and the lecture theatres are above and below the lab so you're never far away. Personally, I wouldn't want to bother bringing the laptop in, and having to carry it round all day -- plus it's annoying because you might not want to go somewhere after College if you've still got a laptop with you. I came with a (old!) laptop, but soon got a PC, I wanted the bigger screen and proper keyboard and mouse. I think I took my laptop in to Computing once, ever! In Computing, a lot of the work is on a computer, more than half. Laptops are uncomfortable to use (more likely to give you bad posture, crampt, small screen, crap keyboard and mouse). If you're coming in a car, bring a PC. If you have to bring a laptop, at the minimum get a proper mouse for it, and consider a stand for when you use it at your desk, I've seen a few people with these at home and they look good. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like being hunched up over a laptop!

For other courses it's probably not as important, but I don't really know how much time you'd need to spend on a PC with them.
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wais)
I dont understand why people are obsessed with spreading their love of Apple, especially when they add some kind of bull**** like "its better for multimedia" or something.

Someone care to explain what advantage a mac has over a properlysetup windows system? I can certainly think of a lot of advantages that Windows has. As far as I see, there is a big price premium attached to the Apple brand, while reducing the number of tasks you can do on your computer.
and someone care to explain what advantage a properly setup windows system has over a mac? the tasks you can do on either are unlimited. there is no limit. u can do the same on both.
There are programs which are solely designed for MAC and others for Windows. There are others who are designed for both platforms. FULLSTOP.
They're just two different platforms.
Gatman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by andrikkos)
and someone care to explain what advantage a properly setup windows system has over a mac? the tasks you can do on either are unlimited. there is no limit. u can do the same on both.
There are programs which are solely designed for MAC and others for Windows. There are others who are designed for both platforms. FULLSTOP.
Most of the best programs are designed for PC's, also PC's have a million times more programs than MAC's.
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh I dont know.. Maybe games. The question is a bit silly I think, Windows does have 1 million more programs written for it. There is also a lot more software that works on windows and not on mac than the other way round.
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not really. There are a million programs for macs as well. Programs you've never heard of they exist. anyway.
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not really. There are a million programs for macs as well. Programs you've never heard of they exist. anyway.
And most of them have a better equivalent on windows / linux

Either way you can never beat the games argument :cool:
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
a better equivalent? I really doubt that. You can't beat Final Cut Studio 2 or QuarkXpress. My point is , both are two different platforms. You can work with both quite well, quite easily and do as much on both

Alright I can't beat the games argument I know.
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WhatTheDeuce)
I don't see why everyone gets such a hardon over PC gaming - barring a few exceptions, titles specific to the platform really aren't that great.

The ultimate setup is a Mac for work and general leisure and a PS3 for games :cool:
I SECOND THAT
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't see why everyone gets such a hardon over PC gaming - barring a few exceptions, titles specific to the platform really aren't that great.

The ultimate setup is a Mac for work and general leisure and a PS3 for games :cool:
Actually FPS and RTS are useless on consoles, nothing replaces mouse and keyboard! Also, why would you want to pay for an expensive computer as well as a very expensive console, when a single low cost computer could probably do the job of both!

a better equivalent? I really doubt that. You can't beat Final Cut Studio 2 or QuarkXpress.
Oh yes I can. I present to you, Adobe Premiere Pro and QuarkXpress for Windows: http://www.quark.com/service/desktop...ls.jsp?idx=653
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Those are the precisely the sorts of games I generally consider to be not that great (especially the latter) :p:
Really? Those are the only ones I find fun (through multiplayer, esp Lan so you know noone's cheating)
Ezekiel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im going to be using both a PC and a laptop i think.
MyNameIsFelix
Report 11 years ago
Right, I'm going to be doing ISE this year. I've already got a reasonable laptop that's great for anything that's not gaming, although not the most portable laptop. Do you reckon I should spend about a grand on a PC, or spend about half that and get an 360 and a new telly? Bear in mind I'm not too great gaming with a keyboard and mouse , but maybe that's because I've only ever had a laptop...
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it's your call. hehe, it depends, there are people who prefer gaming on computers, others solely on consoles! PS3, Wii and XBOX
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wouldnt bring an expensive TV. What happens when you have some drunk friends in your room :P
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What might happpen? circle jerk lol
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
HAhaha no. But it could get "vandalised"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads