Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Go for Dell.Cheap and good.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably build one myself, since I've been working as a PC builder this summer

I never mentioned an expensive telly, just a better one than my cheap and nasty 17"! How big are the rooms at southside going to be?

ReputationRep:
    Ok... all you need to know about macs on campus.

A bit about myself.. I'm the Apple Campus Rep for Imperial, so you'll see me around campus promoting macs. But in this post I will try to debunk some of the myths I see in this thread, as well as clarify some facts:

1) There is a higher education store from Apple which gives 15-20% discount for university students, as well as a free upgrade to 3 years warranty. This store is online (http://www.apple.com/uk/education/hed) or by phone (0800 039 1010)

2) The online store is only accessible through an IC network connection. So if you want to buy online before arriving, please use your IC login and do a VPN. (PM me if you need help). Otherwise, order by phone.

3) The high street apple stores do the same 15% discount, but no free 3 years warranty.

4) You can dual-boot the mac to run both Windows XP/Vista and Mac OSX. It is also possible to triple boot to run linux too.

5) I won't lie... not all programs recommended by your department will run on a mac. But 90% of programs needed do.

6) There is Microsoft Office for the Mac which is fully compatible with Word/Excel/Powerpoint in windows and compatible with the Outlook mail servers that IC uses.

7) Macs get on the IC wireless and wired networks perfectly fine.

8) There "may" be a back to school promotion starting end of this week where if you buy a mac you can get one of the new ipod nanos for free.

9) Macs don't get blue screens.

10) You will probably never ever have to install a driver for a peripheral that you are trying to install.

11) They just work. Unless you really think windows is awesome, or are a pro gamer (you're going to flunk your course at IC).

In any case, as the apple campus rep, you can always come to me for help with using your mac, or if there's something you need help with. I'm a student at IC as well, so I'm around mon-fri on campus.

ReputationRep:
    laptop leo.. definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shushi)
    laptop leo.. definitely
    hey lu!

i really want a laptop as well, how cool would it be to go and study in hyde park with friends? in fact, how unproductive does that sound?!

before getting too trigger happy buying a laptop i'll wait until i get to uni and then shop around a bit..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't count on being able to use your laptop in Hyde Park... Most of the time it'll be too wet, and if it's sunny that's no good either

ReputationRep:
    im bringing my macbookpro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arias)
    hey lu!

i really want a laptop as well, how cool would it be to go and study in hyde park with friends? in fact, how unproductive does that sound?!

before getting too trigger happy buying a laptop i'll wait until i get to uni and then shop around a bit..
    Please use any outside space for pleasure, not study. I beg of thee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arias)
    hey lu!

Yeah I am going to get either Toshiba Satellite or Dell XPS M1710 when my mum comes back from holiday.
    I've had enough with Vaio!:mad: LOL going to Hype Park with laptops to watch movies/playing games is probably more likely. We can find a few friends and play multiplayer games together (ahem I won't mention any games in case I get hammered by someone in this forum)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am going to get either Toshiba Satellite or Dell XPS M1710 when my mum comes back from holiday.
    I've had enough with Vaio!:mad: LOL going to Hype Park with laptops to watch movies/playing games is probably more likely. We can find a few friends and play multiplayer games together (ahem I won't mention any games in case I get hammered by someone in this forum)
    FWIW the Dell M1720 is coming out very soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkgm1)
    FWIW the Dell M1720 is coming out very soon.
    after Americans enjoyed it for a few months, it's finally going to come over. It's ridiculous how long we have to wait for iPhone as well.

ReputationRep:
    after Americans enjoyed it for a few months, it's finally going to come over. It's ridiculous how long we have to wait for iPhone as well.
    Not sure why you're waiting -- apart from the touch thing (which isn't so good for texting quickly) there's better phones available already! The iPhone can't even send/receive an MMS (with it's 2MP camera)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaxa)
    Not sure why you're waiting -- apart from the touch thing (which isn't so good for texting quickly) there's better phones available already! The iPhone can't even send/receive an MMS (with it's 2MP camera)!
    I like things minimalistic I like a little block that doesn't have any buttons :p:
    That touch screen is just too sexy (two fingers to zoom in and out, and dash across movement to delete etc) Was planning to upgrade to LG Prada until iPhone was launched. Since I was planning to get the new ipod as well now I can just upgrade both of them at the same time with iPhone. I don't want to send MMS anyways :p:

ReputationRep:
    just get the ipod touch. thats what the iphone should have been. No need having the phone functionality (if one can call it that) on an ipod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuppatopbrer)
    just get the ipod touch. thats what the iphone should have been. No need having the phone functionality (if one can call it that) on an ipod.
    Then I have to carry two things in my bag again :p: You won't believe the sort of crap you can find in my bag.
    Why not just get one with two functions instead of getting phone and ipod touch separately?

ReputationRep:
    Because you have coped in the past with no trouble. Otherwise no-one would have bought an mp3 or phone.

Personally as long as I have mp3 functionality on my phone then I'm happy. I'm more interested in having a good phone than having a flashy mp3 player. Hence why I have an N95 with a soon to be purchased 4gig memory card the size of your pinky finger nail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuppatopbrer)
    Because you have coped in the past with no trouble. Otherwise no-one would have bought an mp3 or phone.

Personally as long as I have mp3 functionality on my phone then I'm happy. I'm more interested in having a good phone than having a flashy mp3 player. Hence why I have an N95 with a soon to be purchased 4gig memory card the size of your pinky finger nail.
    If I had to choose between a phone and ipod. Then forget the phone. Music is very important to me and quality of music is also VERY important. That's why iPhone is the best for me. It's mainly an ipod but it can also be used to call other people. I only ever use my phone when I am calling other people and the amount of miss calls I have on my phone just tell you how unimportant phone is to me.

N95 is very cool indeed. I love the cameras although my friends are so lame :p: checking themselves out with the second camera. Hehe the SD micro card are amazing but hope it doesn't mess up you N95. I hope 4G is enough for you to watch videos and to put your music library onto.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to choose between a phone and ipod. Then forget the phone. Music is very important to me and quality of music is also VERY important. That's why iPhone is the best for me. It's mainly an ipod but it can also be used to call other people. I only ever use my phone when I am calling other people and the amount of miss calls I have on my phone just tell you how unimportant phone is to me.

N95 is very cool indeed. I love the cameras although my friends are so lame :p: checking themselves out with the second camera. Hehe the SD micro card are amazing but hope it doesn't mess up you N95. I hope 4G is enough for you to watch videos and to put your music library onto.
    I'm tempted by the N95...but I've heard lots of bad things about its battery life.....

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, not the best.

If I were you I would wait for the N95 8gb model. Larger screen, Bigger battery capacity amongst other minor modifications.

ReputationRep:
    When does it come out?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.