bittersweet13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why would it be a disadvantage to have a stratified squamous epithelial in the lining of the heart?
Which consists primarily of simple squamous epithelial.
h3rmit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittersweet13)
Why would it be a disadvantage to have a stratified squamous epithelial in the lining of the heart?
Which consists primarily of simple squamous epithelial.
One of the main purposes of squamous epithelial cells is for rapid diffusion/osmosis due to a short diffusion/osmosis distance. Putting lots of squamous cells on top of each other for a stratified lining counteracts that purpose, making the diffusion of glucose and oxygen in/CO2 out slower, which is a very Bad Thing for a muscle that's working continuously, as you get more anaerobic respiration (less ATP per glucose), which could then lead to some contractions not being able to happen, despite the impulse. This would probably manifest itself in missed heartbeats, or your heart locking in a contractile state as the myosin heads have to hydrolyse ATP to revert. You would also get higher acidity due to more carbonic acid, which at very, very, very extreme levels could disrupt the hydrogen and ionic bonds of the proteins in your heart (actin, myosin, collagen etc.) weakening your heart's muscles and weakening the heart itself.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
NB: the simple epithelial tissue which lines the heart and vascular system's vessels is known specifically as endothelium.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (122)
41.5%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (33)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.48%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (65)
22.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.22%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise