The Student Room Group

Don't think I'm confident enough for uni

My anxiety is worse than ever now I'm at uni. I'm completely lonely and miserable. I'm seriously considering dropping out. I don't think I have the confidence required for something like uni :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pallettmatt13
My anxiety is worse than ever now I'm at uni. I'm completely lonely and miserable. I'm seriously considering dropping out. I don't think I have the confidence required for something like uni :frown:

Hi,
Sorry that you're going through a difficult time, and that you're feeling alone and miserable. There is a lot of support out there, so I would definitely recommend doing some research and finding the right support service who can help. Your uni should have the most useful links on their student support webpage - best to google "X university student support" and you should get to the right link.

You can speak confidentially with a counsellor, who will also be able to give you more information about how anxiety may be affecting your studies, any can put support in place for things like deadlines and exams (particularly with busy exam halls if that's a reason for anxiety!).

For anxiety there's a few really helpful organisations who have good information too:
- www.anxietyuk.org.uk have an infoline and text service.
- http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.WDMNcvmLSUk have some good basic information about what anxiety is.

You can also visit the Student Minds Blog to read stories from lots of other people who may be going through a similar situation to you right now - we've got lots of blogs about anxiety at uni especially: http://studentmindsorg.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Anxiety

I hope these are a helpful start. Please do let me know if you have any other questions, or I can help at all!

Nick
Student Minds

Before you leave do speak to either your Personal Tutor or ask how you access the Counselling Team. Starting university can be an anxious time for lots of students but generally your confidence can grow if you get the right kind of support. Do access the Careers Department and have a chat with the staff there as they may be able to support you with making the transition into employment, should you decide to leave. Do bare in mind, should you leave university, you may have to focus on finding a job .

Good luck
Thank you for your help :smile:
I'll see if I can get in touch with a counsellor
Reply 4

Uni is only 3 years of your life that can help shape your future. Do not give up, get help. All unis have a counselling service. If yours doesn't then go to the doctor and they can get you counselling.
Reply 5
Hello Pallettmatt13.
Many students were, are and will go through the same. Whenever you feel lonely and miserable, ask yourself why? You in no way differ from others, do you? Remind yourself you've got no reason to feel like that. Remind yourself that you're the same as everyone else.
There's absolutely no shame in not having many friends this early in university. During my whole first year, I used to stick with two guys and I barely talked to anyone else. Find somebody who shares same interests as you. And don't ever say that nobody does, look at these forums for example, they are full of people like you.
Dropping out of university will change your life forever. Endure these three years, even if it's not the most pleasant thing to do.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending