The Student Room Group

Unable to get a job as a graduate for 5 months

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by manny0121
I always say.... if people are struggling to find work.... You can't go wrong getting a job in a bank .. looks good on your cv +banks are huge companies so you can move around internally

is this satire?

You don't just get a job in a bank, unless you're talking about retail banking.
Original post by Yaboi
is this satire?

You don't just get a job in a bank, unless you're talking about retail banking.

yes i mean retail banking
Original post by IAMNOOB
A careers adviser on my uni they only take surveys from people who finished Uni. they do help but they most likely help those who are on a year placement, not for people who already finished the course as far as i am aware.

check this out properly because afaik it's now pretty standard for the uni career people to be available to graduates for 2 years.

Unfortunately i am not close to anybody, we are more like acquaintances. I spent most of my years at Uni alone, those guys nowadays have good jobs, most are outside of kent. and most seems to be doing things outside of multimedia. Thanks.

Have you ever heard of 'The strength of weak connections'?
basically it's people you're not connected to very strongly who can help you the most... you're not asking them to donate a kidney to you, you're just asking them if they've heard of any jobs.
when people 'get a job through networking' it's usually not that their favourite uncle runs half of Goldman Sachs.
Original post by IAMNOOB
Its been over 5 months since i been trying to look for a job. I graduate in multimedia and technology and design but i am not good at it and lacked real skills in that department. luckily managed to reach 2:1 on the degree

as a result i just want to work on simple jobs like retails and don't mind low pay jobs. but the issue is over 100 jobs i've applied none of them wanted me. none would phone or send me emails and all i got on my emails are jobs advertisement.

I spent hours writing job applications and never got any response back. I've done several work experience before but they are course-related and is not paid, over 200 hours. unfortunately i had no connections nor do i have close friends/ families that can offer me a job at their place.

I tried to applied through graduate training programs but they don't want me either since i dont have the skills in any graduate courses , most i applied told me they only want people who failed in GCSEs or graduated from college (not Uni)

i also tried to applied through jobs from my Uni and they said i am not the person they're looking for and wish my best luck elsewhere

I am starting to feel depressed and i feel like i will be unemployed living in my parents house for the rest of my life. My sister and my mum said i will be kicked out in the next year should i not able to find a job.

I've looked on my facebook on my acquiantances/ fellow classmates and almost all of them are working else where/ with a good graduate job.

i just at the very least want to start working and earning some real job experience, even working at the minimum wage i will be happy with it should it be for the rest of my life. i am very worried

My suggestion is you could look into what jobs you want to do (other than retail and easy jobs) what career areas interest you? go on the prospects website and do some quizzes and tests and see what comes out.

also maybe go speak to a careers guidance person and discuss what ideas you have and theyll suggest stuff too. they can also look at your cv and give you help with it.

if youre not getting replies from applications then your cv might need improved.. if you dont get an interview then its your cv, so ask for feedback from employers so you know what you need to do differently.

you could also try volunteering or joining clubs/classes/organisations to learn new skills and meet new people. even hearing what jobs other people do/have done might give you some ideas.

also challenge yourself, minimum wage jobs might be easy but thats all they are, you arent pushing yourself or putting yourself out there and going for things outside your comfort zone.
Reply 24
First of all I would say this: When you try something and it doesn't work over and over, re-evaluate your methodology, there must me something you are not doing right so ask yourself that question - What am I missing here, is it my CV? the way I am doing interviews? Cover letters? When am I applying, early? late? Am I using recruitment agencies? Directly applying to employers? Am I chasing up my applications? How can I change strategy in order to be more attractive to an employer.

I admit it could be hard to find a job and heartbreaking when you get rejected but there are a few techniques you might want to use

1. When searching for jobs online, try to sort them out by date (most recent), the early you apply as soon as a job is advertised, the more likely you might progress to an interview stage because even though some of the adverts still show as open, usually once an employer has enough people who have applied, they might be ignoring further/late applications - Apply early

2. Never underestimate skills you might have acquired in any type of job you have done in the past. It could be as basic as helping out in the kitchen in some event, organizing kids party...anything you might have done, see how you can extract skills such as communication, team building etc Employers also want someone who is human, not just technical skills like software, pc etc - Examine your past jobs and sell your skills.

3. Assuming you have reached an interview stage - Be yourself and relaxed, don't be robotic, for instance if there is something actually funny during your face to face interview, gently smile/laugh...speak to the interviewer like a member of family, polite and respectful adding professional (not using informal language). This has worked for me over and over

4. Have a workbook (word, excel, paper notebook etc) and track your applications, why? Because, as all of us are, employers/HR can also make mistakes and forget things. My current graduate job as a civil engineer was actually an employer I chased up weeks after I had applied and they got back to me saying, sorry the position you applied for has been filled in the locations you wanted, but there is a vacancy at this other location, would you be interested? And obviously I was, got a telephone interview, then face to face and I have just passed my 3 month probation yesterday. Hadn't I chased them up but rather just stressed myself for the fact that they never got back to me, I wouldn't be in this job which pays well (just under 30k)! I studied in Northern Ireland but here I am working in South England.

5. During summer and holidays between university term times, I found that recruitment agencies could be a very quick way to get job in pretty much any industry! Do try them.

6. Find something good about the company/employer to say why them, employers like it when an applicant really knows what they are about and why they have been chosen by applicants. Don't go with the mindset that an employer is choosing me, that is a position of weakness, rather go with the mindset that YOU ARE choosing the employer, without sounding arrogant, make them see why they should employ you.

These are just some of the things I could think about. I hope you find a job soon.
sounds like the Up needs to up their job search game and /or find out who the local agencies are however it;s gettign later and later for the christmas / january sales roles and employers will be looking at which of their temps / agency staff they will be laying off ...
Original post by IAMNOOB
Its been over 5 months since i been trying to look for a job. I graduate in multimedia and technology and design but i am not good at it and lacked real skills in that department. luckily managed to reach 2:1 on the degree

as a result i just want to work on simple jobs like retails and don't mind low pay jobs. but the issue is over 100 jobs i've applied none of them wanted me. none would phone or send me emails and all i got on my emails are jobs advertisement.

I spent hours writing job applications and never got any response back. I've done several work experience before but they are course-related and is not paid, over 200 hours. unfortunately i had no connections nor do i have close friends/ families that can offer me a job at their place.

I tried to applied through graduate training programs but they don't want me either since i dont have the skills in any graduate courses , most i applied told me they only want people who failed in GCSEs or graduated from college (not Uni)

i also tried to applied through jobs from my Uni and they said i am not the person they're looking for and wish my best luck elsewhere

I am starting to feel depressed and i feel like i will be unemployed living in my parents house for the rest of my life. My sister and my mum said i will be kicked out in the next year should i not able to find a job.

I've looked on my facebook on my acquiantances/ fellow classmates and almost all of them are working else where/ with a good graduate job.

i just at the very least want to start working and earning some real job experience, even working at the minimum wage i will be happy with it should it be for the rest of my life. i am very worried

Hi I am noob, i also graduated this summer, and i also have yet to find paying work. Try to keep yourself busy with some kind of charity job is my advice, beggars can't be losers remember!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending