Worried I'll be disappointed when I start my course - what should I do?

Watch
kiiten
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, Im applying to uni this year but feel like i will be disappointed in my course/its not what ive expected. Ive been to many open days, researched modules but im still unsure. The course im looking at is biochemistry but at a level i really like chemistry more than biology. But i feel like pure chemistry will be too hard for me. Help :3
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kiiten)
Hi, Im applying to uni this year but feel like i will be disappointed in my course/its not what ive expected. Ive been to many open days, researched modules but im still unsure. The course im looking at is biochemistry but at a level i really like chemistry more than biology. But i feel like pure chemistry will be too hard for me. Help :3
Read some textbooks to see examples of the content: can you borrow some from a friend/relative's friend? Does your school have any? Public library? Cheap on eBay?
You could look at a MOOC, for example on Coursera or FutureLearn. You could also look at OpenLearn which will show you actual extracts from the degrees offered by the Open University. although I'm not sure they have biochemistry.
Check what careers you can do after, and see if you have limited your options or discounted something you would potentially want to do.
Have a look at TSR's revision notes, or ask in the biochemistry and chemistry sections to see if people are willing to talk about their degrees.
kiiten
Rep:
(Original post by Juno)
Read some textbooks to see examples of the content: can you borrow some from a friend/relative's friend? Does your school have any? Public library? Cheap on eBay?
You could look at a MOOC, for example on Coursera or FutureLearn. You could also look at OpenLearn which will show you actual extracts from the degrees offered by the Open University. although I'm not sure they have biochemistry.
Check what careers you can do after, and see if you have limited your options or discounted something you would potentially want to do.
Have a look at TSR's revision notes, or ask in the biochemistry and chemistry sections to see if people are willing to talk about their degrees.
Thank you - what do you mean by MOOC?

Yeah ive considered careers and chemistry graduates seems to be more employable and earn a higher wage (on average) compared to biochemistry graduates. Im not too sure if i want to stay in the industry after i graduate but both will allow me to continue in science or move on to a career i would consider (business/finance).

Ive spoken to students studying these subjects before but tbh im not too sure about what i should actually ask them. E.g. most will say they enjoy because its something they decided on from the start.

Where can i find revision notes for these courses? Please could you link me if you dont mind?

Thanks again for your help Im currently working on a biochemistry personal statement but ive applied to 2 chemistry based (not pure chemistry) degrees to keep my options open.
john2054
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Yeah ive considered careers and chemistry graduates seems to be more employable and earn a higher wage (on average) compared to biochemistry graduates. Im not too sure if i want to stay in the industry after i graduate but both will allow me to continue in science or move on to a career i would consider (business/finance).

Ive spoken to students studying these subjects before but tbh im not too sure about what i should actually ask them. E.g. most will say they enjoy because its something they decided on from the start.

Where can i find revision notes for these courses? Please could you link me if you dont mind?

Thanks again for your help Im currently working on a biochemistry personal statement but ive applied to 2 chemistry based (not pure chemistry) degrees to keep my options open.
Moocs are massive open online certificates. You can also do them with edx.
Juno
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

MOOC is a Massive Online Osomething Course. It's a short curse run by a university - usually they're around 4-8 weeks long. You study online through watching videos and reading articles. The "massive" part of the name means that others are also doing the course, so you can discuss ideas and share examples. The two main providers are Coursera and FutureLearn. They're free, although they don't provide you with a certificate or qualification for free; you can pay extra to get a certificate if you wish.

You could ask students what they actually do. How many contact hours do they have? How many lectures, tutorials, practicals etc. How many exams do they have? How much independent study do they do?
kiiten
Rep:
(Original post by Juno)
MOOC is a Massive Online Osomething Course. It's a short curse run by a university - usually they're around 4-8 weeks long. You study online through watching videos and reading articles. The "massive" part of the name means that others are also doing the course, so you can discuss ideas and share examples. The two main providers are Coursera and FutureLearn. They're free, although they don't provide you with a certificate or qualification for free; you can pay extra to get a certificate if you wish.

You could ask students what they actually do. How many contact hours do they have? How many lectures, tutorials, practicals etc. How many exams do they have? How much independent study do they do?
I see. Yes ive looked on futurelearn before but couldnt find any biochem courses. You mentioned revision notes on tsr - where do i find them for biochemistry/chemistry? Link?
john2054
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juno)

this isn't what mooc stands for. please don't make things up

it stands for massive open online course, as i said already. and i have done nearly ten of them, so i think i do know!
john2054
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I see. Yes ive looked on futurelearn before but couldnt find any biochem courses. You mentioned revision notes on tsr - where do i find them for biochemistry/chemistry? Link?
https://www.edx.org/course/principle...arvardx-mcb63x
https://www.coursera.org/learn/epigenetics

Here are two biochemistry courses, one with edx and the other with coursera respectively...
Juno
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by john2054)
this isn't what mooc stands for. please don't make things up

it stands for massive open online course, as i said already. and i have done nearly ten of them, so i think i do know!
:rolleyes:
kiiten
Rep:
(Original post by john2054)
https://www.edx.org/course/principle...arvardx-mcb63x
https://www.coursera.org/learn/epigenetics

Here are two biochemistry courses, one with edx and the other with coursera respectively...
Thank youu!!! - just enrolled on the edx course

And what about the revision notes on tsr fro biochem?
john2054
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thank youu!!! - just enrolled on the edx course

And what about the revision notes on tsr fro biochem?
I have no idea.

Please note that edx course is archived, so whereas it is still possible to watch the videos and read the texts, maybe even sit the exams, it is not longer possible to gain the final qualification (which also needs paying for). If you want to learn more about the subject area, maybe in preparation for a degree at a uk university, this is a good idea. But if you want to gain a certificate qualification from this work, which feels good, but you will have to look elsewhere.

I would still recommend you at least do the first couple of modules to see if you can hack it, but there you go.

Here are a list of the moocs i have completed with a passing grade by the way...

The Futures Award Recognition in Social Media

Bridging the Dementia Divide: Supporting People Living with Dementia

Innovating in Operations Management,

Understanding Autism, Asperger’s and ADHD,

Personal Finance 1: Investing in Yourself and Making the Most of Your Investment

Medicating for Mental Health: Judicious use of Psychiatric Drugs

From Atoms to Stars: How Physics Explains our World

AP Computer Science: Java Programming

AP Psychology - Part 1: What is Psychology
Legend15
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Watch a lecture on YouTube

Posted from TSR Mobile
kiiten
Rep:
(Original post by Juno)
:rolleyes:
You mentioned revision notes on tsr - where do i find them for biochemistry/chemistry? Link?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.3%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.48%
No (82)
26.54%
I'm not sure (33)
10.68%

Watched Threads