Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always heard in the news how the A levels are getting easier every year and is this because more and more students are getting tuition? How important is tuition and does it really help? Is it possible to get 4As at AS and 3As at A2 without tuition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VBK14)
    I've always heard in the news how the A levels are getting easier every year and is this because more and more students are getting tuition? How important is tuition and does it really help? Is it possible to get 4As at AS and 3As at A2 without tuition?
    To be honest i haven't heard anything in the news about tuition being the reason for our higher grades- in fact i'd welcome such a story rather than our successes being put down to easier A Levels :p:

Tuition will be a great help for obvious reasons but by no means is it neccessary to achieve straight A grades. I achieved my A grades without any tuition and i know lots of other people on TSR and in the real world ( ) who did.

I suppose if you find it difficult to get your head around certain topics or if your teachers/classroom environment isn't very good then it wouldn't do any harm

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends had tuition for things at GCSE where you were obliged to take certain subjects (say Maths, English etc.)
    But I don't know of many who got tutoring for their ASs. Some did because the Chemistry teacher they had for one or two units was terrible, but that was about it.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 A's without any tuition. This wasn't through lack of trying though! I was the only member of my chemistry and biology classes not to find one, but it was allright in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I never had any tuition and got 3 As and a Merit in AEA RS. None of my friends had any extra help either and they all got the grades they were hoping for. Since when did tuition become 'common'? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Nop, didn't need it.

ReputationRep:
    I went to revision classes for my GCSEs, and largely attribute my success to them. I was really worried when revising for my AS levels because I just couldn't afford another revision course. I got 4 As at AS level without tuition, so don't worry it's possible. Just keep up with the work as you go, such a big help.

ReputationRep:
    *awaits attempted humour from 'hey' *

ReputationRep:
    I don't think tuition/how good your teachers are has anything to do with getting straigth A's.
    I had 4 decent A's and and a high B(0.7% from an A) without any tuition, I'm not sure about other colleges but all my teachers did was give us loads of papers which is probably the main reason more students getting good grades.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have tuition, got 4 nice grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    I didn't have tuition, got 4 nice grades
    Yeh but you're just naturally clever mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend Killer)
    Yeh but you're just naturally clever mate
    Sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MOBA2006)
    I don't think tuition/how good your teachers are has anything to do with getting straigth A's.
    I had 4 decent A's and and a high B(0.7% from an A) without any tuition, I'm not sure about other colleges but all my teachers did was give us loads of papers which is probably the main reason more students getting good grades.
    I really don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessary to have tuition...(okay, sometimes the people on TSR aren't great to go by as some of them are really clever!)...but hard work does do the trick!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.