The Student Room Group

King's College London - A102 Medicine Applicants 2017

Hello! I've been searching for a King's graduate entry thread but couldn't find one, so I decided to make one :smile:

Hopefully everyone is just about coping with the horrible waiting game :P

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I've applied to King's though I'm not too hopeful.... 2.2 undergrad degree and a merit at MSc, with 690 at UKCAT. I've got a much better chance at the GAMSAT unis :P
Hey I applied both 5 year course and the Grad Course.
OK GCSEs (4A*, 6A, 2B)
Not too ok A Levels (ABC in Bio, Maths, History) and AS chemistry to grade c
UKCAT: 703
Currently studying BSc Optometry at city university and working part time at St Thomas' hospital!

This wait is killing me!
Hey guys I've also applied, to A100 as well! I haven't heard anything back yet - but my stats are:
-International B.Sc. Biology with predicted 2.1
-UKCAT 753
-And the classic work experience etc.

Fingers crossed good luck to you all!! Reallyyyy hoping we hear back soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied to both

Biomedical Science Achieved 2.1
UKCAT 750
Applied to both as well. Heard back from the A100 (Feb interview) and am waiting on the A102.

Canadian B.Sc. 2:1 equivalent
UKCAT 833
I hope you guys don't mind me asking, but how are you planning to fund the 5 year course?
Reply 7
1st class degree in Biomedical Science
674 UKCAT

Hoping the degree class helps with the lower UKCAT, I know kings weights them both and then works out who'll get an interview from then. Last year I applied with 663 and predicted a 2.1 and was rejected on the 6th November saying my scores weren't competitive enough. Lasted longer already this year!
Applied to A100 and A102 (I am an overseas student)
Currently doing BEng Biomedical Engineering at King's, first year 84%, second year 82%, predicted first.
UKCAT: 730
Work experience: 1 year of volunteering on ICU, 1 week clinical experience placement on Respiratory Medicine, 3 months summer research studentship on Haemodynamics at St Thomas' Hospital in 2015, 3 months paid summer research studentship by Wellcome Trust on Cardiac MR imaging at St Thomas'

Haven't heard back :frown:
Original post by Rndons19
1st class degree in Biomedical Science
674 UKCAT

Hoping the degree class helps with the lower UKCAT, I know kings weights them both and then works out who'll get an interview from then. Last year I applied with 663 and predicted a 2.1 and was rejected on the 6th November saying my scores weren't competitive enough. Lasted longer already this year!

I called them before I applied and they told me they didn't discriminate based on degree class.
They look at applicants from the top 25% of UKCAT scores for the A102. They then look at all the factors to determine who gets an interview. So it mostly depends on whether or not your UKCAT is in that 25%.

In terms of degrees, I read a couple of FOIs and there were pretty much equal numbers of 2:1 and 1 degrees that were considered.
Original post by Hormonal
I called them before I applied and they told me they didn't discriminate based on degree class.

They don't I know that but they put weighting on it so say you have a high UKCAT and a 2.1 it would be looked at similar to an average UKCAT and a 1st degree, that make sense?
One you hit the minimum academic, they don't put any bearing onto it. It's all about the UKCAT (at least when i applied it was).
Original post by Rndons19
They don't I know that but they put weighting on it so say you have a high UKCAT and a 2.1 it would be looked at similar to an average UKCAT and a 1st degree, that make sense?

They don't. I directly asked if I would be at a disadvantage vs someone with a similar UKCAT and a 1st and I was told I wasn't. It was just UKCAT. What you're saying is, they do discriminate with regards to degree class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
1st in Optometry
717 UKCAT

Pretty please :3
Original post by Baylo1
1st in Optometry
717 UKCAT

Pretty please :3

Hey! I'm a 3rd year optom student! Have you graduated and if so are you on your pre reg atm lol?
I wonder how much longer until grad interviews go out. They're supposed to be early January, correct?
Reply 17
Original post by guptkhalsa84
Hey! I'm a 3rd year optom student! Have you graduated and if so are you on your pre reg atm lol?

Yep - I've finished my pre-reg, and working in practice :smile: It's good, but I don't like having to refer all the pathology :frown:
Has anyone else received an email asking for further information about their reference?
Original post by neuralgal
Has anyone else received an email asking for further information about their reference?

Nope- not yet, at least! Was your reference academic? If not, then thats probably the reason!

Quick Reply

Latest