This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1075 – Monarchy Abolition Referendum Bill 2016, joecphillips MP
Monarchy Abolition Referendum Bill 2016

A bill to make provision for the holding of a referendum in the United Kingdom on whether the United Kingdom should abolish the monarch.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 The referendum
(1) A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should abolish the monarchy.
(2) The Speaker of the Model House of Commons must appoint the day on which the referendum is to be held (the poll opens).
(3) The day appointed under subsection (2) must be no sooner than 30 January 2017 and no later than 13 February 2017.
(4) The question that is to appear on the ballot papers is— “Should the United Kingdom abolish the monarchy?”
(5) The poll options are to be— “Yes - abolish the monarchy”, “no - keep the monarchy”, and “Spoilt Ballot”
(6) The poll is to last for seven days.

2 Entitlement to vote in the referendum
Those entitled to vote in the referendum are the ones eligible to vote in TSR General Elections when the voting begins.

3 Authority
(1) The option with most votes when the poll ends will be binding.
(2) Section 5 will be enacted if yes - abolish the monarchy receives the most votes.

4 Campaign and debates
(1) A TSR-wide private message is to be sent at the Community Team’s discretion while the poll is open.
(2) The debate will be conducted with two campaign groups. Each supporting one of the potential outcomes.
(3) Each campaign group will nominate their leader and deputy leader. They will oversee the campaign group.
(a) Campaign groups will be created 21 days before the date the vote opens.
(b) Campaign group leaders must be elected within 5 days of the campaign group being created.
(4) Debates shall be held a week before the poll opens as follows:
(a) A thread will created in UK politics by the Speaker of the MHoC a week before the debates asking for questions to be submitted. Anyone can post questions.
(b) On the night of the debate (chosen by the Speaker), the leader and deputy leader from each campaign group will take part to answer questions selected by the Speaker from the thread.
(c) In the event of a leader or deputy leader being unable to attend at short notice, they may appoint another campaign group member to take their place.

5 Abolition
(1) The monarchy is abolished
(2) All assets belonging to The Crown are hereby seized by Parliament and are under Parliament's control.
(3) All assets belonging to The Crown Estates are hereby seized by Parliament and are under Parliament's control.
(4) All assets belonging to the Duchy of Cornwall are hereby seized by Parliament and are under Parliament's control.
(5) All assets belonging to the Duchy of Lancaster are hereby seized by Parliament and are under Parliament's control.

6 Extent, commencement, and short title
(1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Monarchy Abolition Referendum Bill 2016
username1751857
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely not.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye!!
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Interesting, I can't remember when the last monarchy referendum was done on here so a provisional aye, for now.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Poorly drafted. The way this operates is 'let's hold a referendum but **** it we're going to abolish the monarchy either way'.

Aye though.

Edit: could the Speaker please confirm whether a Bill would be effective to create an actual TSR referendum?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think we need to further outline what happens in the case of a vote to abolish the monarchy. Are they replaced by a President? Does the Prime Minister become Head of State? Etc
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Poorly drafted. The way this operates is 'let's hold a referendum but **** it we're going to abolish the monarchy either way'.

Aye though.

Edit: could the Speaker please confirm whether a Bill would be effective to create an actual TSR referendum?
TSR's EU Referendum was legislated for with a bill
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
TSR's EU Referendum was legislated for with a bill
Doesn't mean it was right that that was the case.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think we need to further outline what happens in the case of a vote to abolish the monarchy. Are they replaced by a President? Does the Prime Minister become Head of State? Etc
Hence the reason my bill was so long.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Hence the reason my bill was so long.
Your bill did a lot of other things too though.

Perhaps I'll work with joecphillips and help him draft a second reading
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your bill did a lot of other things too though.

Perhaps I'll work with joecphillips and help him draft a second reading
Because provisions needed to be made for almost everything when you get rid of the queen.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Despite the concerns with this bill, I'll vote aye. Any step toward abolishing the monarchy, a concept which is entirely outdated and unnecessary, I will support.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And this bill proposes a referendum contrary to the GD
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Because provisions needed to be made for almost everything when you get rid of the queen.
Your bill did more than just abolish the monarchy though. You could just replace a Monarch with a President and give the President Royal Prerogative Powers, could you not?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hell no, thank you!!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your bill did more than just abolish the monarchy though. You could just replace a Monarch with a President and give the President Royal Prerogative Powers, could you not?
You could but it would raise constitutional questions.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
You could but it would raise constitutional questions.
Could copy the American System, but try to iron out some of it's flaws.

We need Federalism tbh
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Meh, a referendum is a lot of hassle. I'll have to think about it.
ATW1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.

Bunch of good for nothing scroungers.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads