The Student Room Group

Please!! advise!!

I am really confused and worried.
I'm an international student,
got 5A*(Maths, Sciences, B.S) ,
3A(Electronics, Geography, Additional Maths),
2B (eng, eng lit) for GCSEs and
4As (Mahts, physics, chemistry and economics) for AS
A in A2 Maths, and going to start further maths for A2.

I know my GCSEs are not good enough to apply to Cambridge or LSE
but I was aiming for LSE till now.
Ive met some friends who are in oxbridge and told me to have a go at applying to Cambridge as it is life-time opportunity. I looked at the entry process and realised that Ive got a lot to do (essays, interview practice, TSA, books etc). Also, Ive heard that top unis tend not to give offers to the same person. (eg. if i apply to cambridge, LSE may reject me) and Im worried that by me trying at cambridge would mean LSE (or other good unis) will not give me an offer?? is it too risky? Ive got a lot of valuable work experience and going to spend some time now preparing for the personal statement.

The exams start in Jan and Im not sure whether it is worth spending a lot of time for this application.

I really need some advice and would very much appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply 1
star8890
I am really confused and worried.
I'm an international student,
got 5A*(Maths, Sciences, B.S) ,
3A(Electronics, Geography, Additional Maths),
2B (eng, eng lit) for GCSEs and
4As (Mahts, physics, chemistry and economics) for AS
A in A2 Maths, and going to start further maths for A2.

I know my GCSEs are not good enough to apply to Cambridge or LSE
but I was aiming for LSE till now.
Ive met some friends who are in oxbridge and told me to have a go at applying to Cambridge as it is life-time opportunity. I looked at the entry process and realised that Ive got a lot to do (essays, interview practice, TSA, books etc). Also, Ive heard that top unis tend not to give offers to the same person. (eg. if i apply to cambridge, LSE may reject me) and Im worried that by me trying at cambridge would mean LSE (or other good unis) will not give me an offer?? is it too risky? Ive got a lot of valuable work experience and going to spend some time now preparing for the personal statement.

The exams start in Jan and Im not sure whether it is worth spending a lot of time for this application.

I really need some advice and would very much appreciate it.
Thanks

1) correct. Most successful L101 economics applicants for LSE have 10A* at GCSE (although once they get through those they start working their way down and you find several 7A*, 6A* etc but its still a very unlikely occurrence). In regards to Cambridge, check THIS THREAD :smile:

2) Wrong wrong wrong wrong :smile:. Uni's want good students not give up on them because they think they might go somewhere else. Besides, whats the damage in e.g. York/Southhampton giving an offer to some one with 12A* and all As at A-level? sure his virtually guaranteed to get into LSE but whats the worse that could happen? theyd get a very smart student. so no. Uni's dont do this.

if i were you id probably apply to:

Cambridge
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham
York

But then again if your feeling confident you could always substitute one of them for LSE...it really is up to you :cool:

good luck :yy:
Reply 2
so you think it is easier to get into Cambridge than LSE???
why get rid of LSE, instead of cambridge?
star8890

Unless you have great GCSEs, it's pointless going for L101 at LSE. Cambridge take a lot of other things into account - interview performance, AS marks, written work/test etc. so GCSEs don't play a heavy part in the decision.
Reply 4
LSE is a bitch with GCSEs.

I've got 9A*s and an A. I thought when i got them that i'd be comfortable applying to somewhere like LSE for econ, but even i'm thinking that it's pretty risky and there's a damn good chance i'll be rejected.

Edit: Just re-read that and it sounds kind of boastful - really didn't intend for it to sound like that
Reply 5
star8890

With Cambridge you atleast have a chance (provided you write a good statement, good essay and have good references and UMS).

With LSE im sure they don't even bother with us "lesser" applicants and lets be honest...they already have plenty of "grade machine" candidates with perfect grades.

@ XIII, nothing wrong with your post. I would apply to LSE if i were you. If you have a good statement, ECs and other stuff (maybe PM wazzup...he had 7A* or something but a v.v.good PS with lots of neat stuff, so ask him for advice if hes kind enough), then you have a perfectly reasonable chance.
Reply 6
star8890
(eg. if i apply to cambridge, LSE may reject me) and Im worried that by me trying at cambridge would mean LSE (or other good unis) will not give me an offer?? is it too risky? Ive got a lot of valuable work experience and going to spend some time now preparing for the personal statement.

You know, if every 'top' university were inclined to reject any candidate who had the audacity to tender their application to any other 'top' (i.e. similarly prestigious) university, that'd be an awful lot of 'grade machine' students out of the running. A prohibitive number, in fact.
Reply 7
I got 2A*, 9As and 1B and was hoping to do Government and Economics at LSE. After having looked at other people's results, I'm left wondering whether I should bother.

I got 4 As and 1B at AS (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History & Law)

I am also doing an AS in Further Maths next year

Latest

Trending

Trending