Dissertation or Exams in the 3rd year of uni... is there a choice?

Watch
briadawes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm in my second year of university, studying criminology and sociology at St Mary's Uni.
I'm already thinking ahead to my dissertation next year.
One of my friends at a different university said to me she has the option to pick exams or her dissertation. I was just wondering if that's the case at every university or she is just lucky enough to have that option.
Thank you!
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my uni only those who chose a joint honours could choose between taking an exam based or dissertation unit.

I can't imagine why anyone would rather choose exams though!
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends very much on the university - for me, it I had picked a different major (e.g. the general Biological/ Physical science options) I could have done a dissertation, but for Chemistry it is almost entirely exam based. If your university hasn't mentioned the option to do exams instead of dissertations I would imagine it isn't an option for you - but you could always just ask your course tutor/ check your course handbook or something to find out for sure?
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wtf? who ever can pick exams or dissertation is really lucky. I thought most of us have to do both. I have 4 exams in Jan, roughly one or two assignments every week (last deadline is the last week till xmas) and then dissertation hand in in April.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by briadawes)
Hi, I'm in my second year of university, studying criminology and sociology at St Mary's Uni.
I'm already thinking ahead to my dissertation next year.
One of my friends at a different university said to me she has the option to pick exams or her dissertation. I was just wondering if that's the case at every university or she is just lucky enough to have that option.
Thank you!
It definitley varies by uni. At my uni in third year I had the choice of a dissertation or just doing another standard module and most of our final year modules were 100% coursework.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.22%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.09%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.64%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.8%

Watched Threads