The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of being right-wing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Pensioners and the wealthy have much to gain from Tory policy, not sure about many others. Where do you get this idea they are centrist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Tories are in favour of remaining in the EU and of maintaining our rate of mass immigration, they've legalised gay marriage, they've lowered the benefits cap to around £23k which is still more than one person can make working full-time on the minimum wage. They've just struck down a policy whereby the children of illegal migrants would be treated anything but equally with the children of British citizens.

They're completely liberal on tonnes of policies. That's not to say that I like them. Their sanctioning system for benefits is awful and they certainly do all they can to massage the unemployment figures (there are tonnes of people un/underemployed), but they just aren't that right-wing.

I wouldn't vote for them, but Labour aren't getting my vote either.
Original post by Matthew7
The Tories are in favour of remaining in the EU and of maintaining our rate of mass immigration, they've legalised gay marriage, they've lowered the benefits cap to around £23k which is still more than one person can make working full-time on the minimum wage. They've just struck down a policy whereby the children of illegal migrants would be treated anything but equally with the children of British citizens.

They're completely liberal on tonnes of policies. That's not to say that I like them. Their sanctioning system for benefits is awful and they certainly do all they can to massage the unemployment figures (there are tonnes of people un/underemployed), but they just aren't that right-wing.

I wouldn't vote for them, but Labour aren't getting my vote either.

They held a referendum on the EU and are now wangling their way to leaving it. They hiked tuition fees, denied under 25s the living wage, took away EMA, and have led an austerity programme from day one which has come nowhere near to achieving their stated aim of deficit elimination. From this we see public services being cut or privatised all over the place, we see more people in food banks and the political dialogue in Britain continues to be dragged further right. They want to cut tax credits and got us into a needless intervention in Libya.

They hold young voters in contempt, I do not see why anyone under 30 should vote for them, or indeed anyone but pensioners and the rich. There is nothing centrist about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Every single right wing voter is a heroic genius who actually loves their respective country (even if they are from an inferior one) and understands the inner working of society. Left wingers are just rebellious undesirables who don't understand anything about our society. Little do they know our society would literately be perfect if we had no taxes, everything was owned by Mike Ashley, no "progressive" laws and of course constant war.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Scottish Person
Every single right wing voter is a heroic genius who actually loves their respective country (even if they are from an inferior one) and understands the inner working of society. Left wingers are just rebellious undesirables who don't understand anything about our society. Little do they know our society would literately be perfect if we had no taxes, everything was owned by Mike Ashley, no "progressive" laws and of course constant war.

Well, I think we can probably find some kind of a compromise between those two extremes somewhere...
Original post by Matthew7
Well, I think we can probably find some kind of a compromise between those two extremes somewhere...

You can't be right wing and an extremist only all leftists are extremists like Tony Blair, Winston Churchill or Margret Thatcher. Bring back witch hunting I say as that would fix our economy ruined by taxes and only taxes.
It's funny you say that you do not associate with right wing people, yet you say that you are right wing. I also don't think you know what right wing is because being liberal is not necessarily classified as being right wing. Check
Original post by Multitalented me
I'm more left-wing but my dad is more right-wing as he said it's more efficient and fairer for society. I don't totally understand what are the positives of a right-wing orientated system as I'm a strong supporter of equality and feel being on the left is the way to go personally.

I’m often labelled right wing, I’m not.

I take different supposed left and right positions on all sorts of issues.

Quick Reply