Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm attempting to sort out some funding for my Masters for 08/09, but am a little confused.
    Do i apply personally to the board/trust/ charity that covers the area of my study, or do I apply to the University, or do they apply on my behalf?
    Appologies if this is a basic question but done a bit of reading on this and still none the wiser :confused:

ReputationRep:
    depends what the scholarship is.

generally speaking, you apply "to" the university (e.g. for departmental scholarships or research council scholarships where the research council has given scholarships to the university to distribute) or, you apply "through/with" the university (e.g. when departments have not been given scholarships to dish out personally, but have been granted the right to apply for research council for the scholarships).

there are occasions when you apply to funding bodies directly, but i can't think of any at the moment.

the university you wish to apply to will be able to detail the procedures.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clarifying that, i was getting a bit confused :confused:
    So do i wait until I've applied for the course, and then persue funding (9from whatever source), or by then would it be too late?
    I was intending to submit my application later this year, how is that with regards to funding?

ReputationRep:
    You apply first for the course, and only after you have been accepted can you apply for funding from government bodies and the like.

ReputationRep:
    OK so say I apply in the Autumn (hopefully) get accepted, I should have enough time to sort it out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eee-tee)
    OK so say I apply in the Autumn (hopefully) get accepted, I should have enough time to sort it out?
    Yes you will. I was in the same position last year. I applied for the course around the end of October, was accepted by December, and spent the Christmas holidays researching funding possibilities. Most scholarships for the year 2008-9 will be available from January to June... so you have ample time. Good luck with your quest

ReputationRep:
    ah thanks for the help

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.