TheDuder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi! I have a few questions regarding getting a maintenance loan. Here is my situation, first of all:

I am a Year 3 (Final) BA student and I already have the tuition fee sorted, all of that has is a done deal. I am from the EU. I work a part-time job with a modest income and I get financial help from my parents, who also live in the UK. I live with my girlfriend and she is also studying and working part-time. As certain unexpected events came up, I can't afford to live just on the money I'm making, so that's why I want to apply for a Maintenance Loan now.

- Is it too late to apply for the maintenance loan, given that I already have the tuition fee loan?
- Being from the EU and having been here since the end of 2012, does that make me ineligible for a maintenance loan? I heard there was some change in the rules brought in last year.

Thanks.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheDuder)
Hi! I have a few questions regarding getting a maintenance loan. Here is my situation, first of all:

I am a Year 3 (Final) BA student and I already have the tuition fee sorted, all of that has is a done deal. I am from the EU. I work a part-time job with a modest income and I get financial help from my parents, who also live in the UK. I live with my girlfriend and she is also studying and working part-time. As certain unexpected events came up, I can't afford to live just on the money I'm making, so that's why I want to apply for a Maintenance Loan now.

- Is it too late to apply for the maintenance loan, given that I already have the tuition fee loan?
- Being from the EU and having been here since the end of 2012, does that make me ineligible for a maintenance loan? I heard there was some change in the rules brought in last year.

Thanks.
To be eligible for the maintenance loan EU students need to have been resident in the UK for 5 years (this increased from 3 years in April - the new time applies to all new applicants for funding) prior to the start of their course. If you're in your 3rd year then presumably you started your course in 2014 - and so were only resident for 2 years before your course started. On that basis you wouldn't be eligible for a maintenance loan.

Have you approached your university for hardship funds/additional financial support?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads