julia089
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,
I was invited for an interview at imperial for the course biomedical engineering, since I haven't had any interview yet, I sort of don't know what to expect and how to prepare. I would appreciate it, if someone could help me out with some advise. Will they ask rather about my personality or about my academic knowledge?
Thanks in advance
HereForBanter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by julia089)
Hey,
I was invited for an interview at imperial for the course biomedical engineering, since I haven't had any interview yet, I sort of don't know what to expect and how to prepare. I would appreciate it, if someone could help me out with some advise. Will they ask rather about my personality or about my academic knowledge?
Thanks in advance

Hey, I'm currently 2nd year in bioengineering at Imperial. I had my interview 2 years ago in January 2015. My advice for you is to know your personal statement really well and to be able to explain everything that you put in there. If you did put some false information in your personal statement, be prepared to back it up in some way. The interview is really short so they won't really access how smart you are. They already know you’re good at school because they’ve seen your application on UCAS. They'll mostly ask about your motivations for doing bioengineering at Imperial and other standard interview questions to see how motivated you are.

They can also ask you some maths / physics questions (they have for me). If you are not doing A levels, you probably won't know the stuff they are asking (I did a french baccalauréat so I did not know) and you probably have to ******** your way through. I think they want you to give a reasonable answer or see the method you use to try to get a result if you don’t know the concepts. The most important thing is to not freak out! I think that staying calm and talking slowly with confidence is very important because in Bioeng at Imperial, you will be confronted with stuff that you have no idea about all the time and you have be cool with it.

Just know that if they take you for an interview, they most likely want you and are mostly checking that you are just like you describe yourself to be in your personal statement. They check that you are able to communicate more or less clearly and that you are not too awkward around other people. Most people that go to interview get an offer in bioeng (I’d say at least 60-70 %), so don’t stress out too much.

I ****ed up pretty bad in my interview and still got an offer so I’m sure you’ll be fine. Just remember what you’re getting into. This is Imperial in engineering, you will get ****ed all day, have to spend week-ends in the library, and have a summer term made of only exams . (This does not apply if you are extremely smart, in which case you’ll get an easy first and have a great time).

Anyway, good luck with your interview, I hope my answer helped!
2547ma
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by julia089)
Hey,
Thanks in advance
Hi Julia! So glad to see someone else asking this question, my interview is this week and don't know what to expect from it. I'm just going to be prepared to talk about my personal statement and some areas of the subject that really interest me. I'm an international student, so I'm not really going to any prep for science/maths questions cause I know any I'll get will probably be too difficult for me anyway
julia089
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2547ma)
Hi Julia! So glad to see someone else asking this question, my interview is this week and don't know what to expect from it. I'm just going to be prepared to talk about my personal statement and some areas of the subject that really interest me. I'm an international student, so I'm not really going to any prep for science/maths questions cause I know any I'll get will probably be too difficult for me anyway
Thanks for your reply, I'm relieved that your also not preparing for science or maths question as I didn't either. I would not even know where to start tbh :P
julia089
Rep:
?
(Original post by HereForBanter)
Hey, I'm currently 2nd year in bioengineering at Imperial. I had my interview 2 years ago in January 2015. My advice for you is to know your personal statement really well and to be able to explain everything that you put in there. If you did put some false information in your personal statement, be prepared to back it up in some way. The interview is really short so they won't really access how smart you are. They already know you’re good at school because they’ve seen your application on UCAS. They'll mostly ask about your motivations for doing bioengineering at Imperial and other standard interview questions to see how motivated you are.

They can also ask you some maths / physics questions (they have for me). If you are not doing A levels, you probably won't know the stuff they are asking (I did a french baccalauréat so I did not know) and you probably have to ******** your way through. I think they want you to give a reasonable answer or see the method you use to try to get a result if you don’t know the concepts. The most important thing is to not freak out! I think that staying calm and talking slowly with confidence is very important because in Bioeng at Imperial, you will be confronted with stuff that you have no idea about all the time and you have be cool with it.

Just know that if they take you for an interview, they most likely want you and are mostly checking that you are just like you describe yourself to be in your personal statement. They check that you are able to communicate more or less clearly and that you are not too awkward around other people. Most people that go to interview get an offer in bioeng (I’d say at least 60-70 %), so don’t stress out too much.

I ****ed up pretty bad in my interview and still got an offer so I’m sure you’ll be fine. Just remember what you’re getting into. This is Imperial in engineering, you will get ****ed all day, have to spend week-ends in the library, and have a summer term made of only exams . (This does not apply if you are extremely smart, in which case you’ll get an easy first and have a great time).

Thank you so much for your answer, this helped me enormously!!

TBH I am quite nervous as I thought they will just asked me about my academic knowledge (which would be difficult as I English is not my mother language and I have no clue about all the English terms in sciences)

So thank you again, I much more calm already
Ibukun Aribilola
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!
Thank you so much for this. I come from Nigeria and I have a skype interview this week. I was super nervous but now I think I can handle it- it's just 30 minutes anyways.
(Original post by HereForBanter)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.44%
No (414)
66.56%

Watched Threads