Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any advantage in taking AEA examination for applying good universities in UK? Is the grading system the same as that as the A-level (A,B,C,D and E).

I should be very grateful if someone can provide an answer to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rb211524)
    Is there any advantage in taking AEA examination for applying good universities in UK? Is the grading system the same as that as the A-level (A,B,C,D and E).

I should be very grateful if someone can provide an answer to me.
    there's not really any great advantage, i did AEA Chemistry and Maths - the grading system is distinction/merit/pass/fail..

ReputationRep:
    I did AEA French and German. It can make a difference when applying to universities, as they could make you lower grade offers because they are able to see your commitment to your subject. Two universities I applied to gave me lower offers compared to my friends who didn't write them on their ucas form and who applied for exactly the same course.

(Original post by DavidH)
    Two universities I applied to gave me lower offers compared to my friends who didn't write them on their ucas form and who applied for exactly the same course.
    Same personal statements too?!? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the danger with writing them on your UCAS form is that they then might include them in an offer when otherwise they wouldn't have asked - which can be a lot of extra pressure i would think!

also, you send the UCAS relatively early if you're applying to oxbridge/medicine/vet etc. so haven't really got into A2 work yet, so it's hard to judge whether you really are suited to the AEA. & bear in mind i think they have a ~40% pass rate? & this is the top 10% of A2 students.. i know A grade Further Mathematicians who failed the AEA in Maths (which should be accessible to those with single).

plus i was originally planning to do both AEA History & Biology - but later decided to do just Biology, otherwise a clash would have lead to over 7 hours of AEA exams in 1 day for me, which just seemed like too much effort after all my other exams were basically over!

so, i didn't bother putting my AEA Biology in qualifications pending session, although mentioned in my PS the 'extension programme' for both History & Biology i was involved in, which i thought was a decent compromise .

(although with hindsight, i did well, so maybe i should have, just to show off & have it on my uni file! )

ReputationRep:
    When I went to an Open Day at Peterhouse College in Cambridge, the tutor for History said that because of the controversy over "grade inflation", they might include an AEA as part of an offer.....so that could work both ways....extra pressure if it's part of an offer....but maybe an edge over other candidates who aren't taking it? (maybe?) But I think that most Unis wouldn't include it in an offer....bearing in mind that Peterhouse is one of the very popular colleges for History....and I had a friend who got in there and her offer did not include AEA.

Personally, I did the History AEA because I went to the sessions that were put on, and then thought I wasn't going to lose anything by doing the exam. As it was, it was the day before 2 nasty Politics exams and took up 3 hours which could have been spent revising for Politics. I'll have to see on results day whether it was worth it or not. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I heard the main appeal is it can save your life if you don't meet the grades! For example at cambridge they would review your case if you didn't get the grades and with a "distinction" AEA under your belt it would probably mean you are still given the place! (and IMO you can get AEA distinction without A at A-level because they are quite different)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    there's not really any great advantage, i did AEA Chemistry and Maths - the grading system is distinction/merit/pass/fail..

I don't think you can get a Pass in AEA there's only Merit(50) or Distinction(75) atleast thats what i know of... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're planning on Oxbridge, there's little point. And even then, there's not much use in doing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Unless you're planning on Oxbridge, there's little point. And even then, there's not much use in doing them.
    Thank you very much for your information. I intend to use the AEA examination results (Economics and Politics) to apply for a course in LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rb211524)
    I intend to use the AEA examination results (Economics and Politics) to apply for a course in LSE.
    better make sure they're good then!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.