Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at a lesser known university and was wondering whether I'll get into Oxbridge? - JUST KIDDING :p:

Firstly - you can't defer an entry/place on a MA course can you?

Secondly - has anyone taken a year off between their BA and MA before? If so, what was it like going back into the academic world?

ReputationRep:
    I deferred entry into my PhD and went travelling round NZ for a year. Good fun, didn't have any problems getting back into it.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers - that's good to know

ReputationRep:
    deferment and gaps are common.

have a good one.

ReputationRep:
    I took a year off between BA and MSt. It was a disaster really - I was bored stiff in a series of deadening jobs, wishing I could hit the libraries again. The good thing was it helped me to realise that life outside academia is not as thrilling as I'd assumed.

Before I enrolled on my MSt, I considered deferring a year because at the time I'd just landed a job which (I thought) was going to be great. But I was told that unless you're very ill, it's generally not possible to defer - you have to re-apply. Less stuffy universities might be more lax about this rule though, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys - I've been offered the chance of full time work for the company I'm working for at the moment. Means getting to do what was my partly dream job before I thought about saying in Academia.

Just thinking that a year off will a.) gain me some money b.) I'll know then that doing an MA will definately be the right thing to do (bascially missing the reading & researching)

ReputationRep:
    ooooh, may we ask what your job is?

ReputationRep:
    As you asked so politely,

I work part time for a well known casual/horsey/yachting type clothing company, purely as one of the shop assistants, but responsabilities have already increased (been with them 4 weeks now) so I'm gaining more business & management experience rather than retail.

Working full time though would mean doing the same job but at outside events, dealing with much bigger numbers of customers, the PR side, merchandise etc. They have trade stands at all the big equestrian events (which is my love & hobby) - some of the stands are bigger than the shop I work in.

So getting paid to deal with people, at events I go to anyway with a product I wear and know very well is ideal for me. Plus it's constantly changing every 8-12 weeks which is good.

But the interest in a subject and dealing with people is why I want to go into Academia to eventually be a lecturer of some kind.

ReputationRep:
    Most academics hate dealing with people (myself included :p:), and go into academia to get away from them. It's one of those jobs where, for many of us, one major perk is being able to spend vast amounts of working time keeping solitary hours and being left alone. The teaching and meetings are just irritating diversions. I speak here for myself and several of my academic friends. I've chosen it partly because it's the polar opposite of PR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    Most academics hate dealing with people (myself included :p:), and go into academia to get away from them. It's one of those jobs where, for many of us, one major perk is being able to spend vast amounts of working time keeping solitary hours and being left alone. The teaching and meetings are just irritating diversions. I speak here for myself and several of my academic friends. I've chosen it partly because it's the polar opposite of PR.
    lol, christ you sound like me!!!! the problem is that, as a "social scientist" *yaaaaaaawn* my role is to research and bring in big cash, which involves dealing with people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickytoria77)
    As you asked so politely,

I work part time for a well known casual/horsey/yachting type clothing company, purely as one of the shop assistants, but responsabilities have already increased (been with them 4 weeks now) so I'm gaining more business & management experience rather than retail.

Working full time though would mean doing the same job but at outside events, dealing with much bigger numbers of customers, the PR side, merchandise etc. They have trade stands at all the big equestrian events (which is my love & hobby) - some of the stands are bigger than the shop I work in.

So getting paid to deal with people, at events I go to anyway with a product I wear and know very well is ideal for me. Plus it's constantly changing every 8-12 weeks which is good.

But the interest in a subject and dealing with people is why I want to go into Academia to eventually be a lecturer of some kind.
    well if you love it, then good for you! im from a field where spending years working then coming back for additional higher ed. qualifications is the norm. i can't imagine too many historians turning you down, but it all depends on where you want to study and when i guess (and who with!).

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to defer a place if you ask your uni. I don't see why they would have a problem if they already accepted you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    haha - there's always one. Suppose I'm very lucky to have lecturers who teach first, research second and openly admit they prefer interacting with the students. There was a coloumn about teaching ability and those who inspire us in the latest THES. Don't get me wrong - I'm equally as happy sitting in a corner of the library surrounded by books in peaceful silence.

But I could never go into teaching in schools, primary or secondary. The NC for History makes me want to throw things (am doing a module in my 3rd year about it which will be interesting)

I suppose the biggest factor for taking a year out is money. Perhaps I'm too sensible but surely starting a PG course without being in debt is a pretty good (and lucky) position to be in?

ReputationRep:
    haha - there's always one. Suppose I'm very lucky to have lecturers who teach first, research second and openly admit they prefer interacting with the students. There was a coloumn about teaching ability and those who inspire us in the latest THES. Don't get me wrong - I'm equally as happy sitting in a corner of the library surrounded by books in peaceful silence.
    Well, I'm certainly not the only one who feels like this about academia! My partner, who is a very solitary soul, does enjoy interacting with students too - but that's something quite apart from the kind of people skills required of PR types. He'd be crap at PR, as would I and most academics I know. I always preferred teachers whose research I knew came first to them, but that's probably because I'm weird. The academics I know didn't go into academia in order to teach... but it doesn't mean they are bad teachers.

I suppose the biggest factor for taking a year out is money. Perhaps I'm too sensible but surely starting a PG course without being in debt is a pretty good (and lucky) position to be in?
    Do you mean Student Loan type debt? If so, that doesn't bother me at all, as I know I won't have to pay it back until I'm earning enough, which won't be until I have my PhD, and there's no interest to worry about, so it's really not an issue. Nearly all the money I earned in my year out (which wasn't much) went on rent, so it didn't help me financially (you'd probably be doing a better paid job than me though :p: ). But if you have to pay for your Master's then clearly earning some money first is the only option.

ReputationRep:
    I've not got any student loan debt per se - it's not been touched in 2 years. Could pay it back as soon as I finish uni if I wanted. Currently being saved in order to pay for an MA. But working for a year would mean I could afford the MA plus have money left over.

It's not PR in the true sense/stereotypical image as that would drive me insane (and the company isn't like that), I just couldn't think of any other way to describe it. With a constant changing variety of people with a product/subject that I enjoy and know about is for me interchangable between working and studying if you get my meaning.

All my lecturers are working/researching constantly and bar one of them, I would class them all as fantastic lecturers too. None of them (having random discussions over lunch one day) went into academia to teach. Just so happens, that it's something they can do well and enjoy doing it. Plus realise that there is far far more than filling in endless RAE forms.

I've been lucky enough to teach my other passion which is what got me interested in working with people in the first place.

It's a tough one because I enjoy reading, researching and constantly finding out new things, especially with a subject like History. I spent 3 weeks revising for an exam on my own in the library because I wanted to do it and loved pulling it all together into a form of answer. So in that sense, being on my own doesn't bother me, whether it's at home or in the British Library. On the other hand though, I'm a people person too which is where lecturing/mixing with students comes in. I couldn't just research, research, research.

It's all about getting a balance I suppose but would be happy doing either job. Arghhhhh never had career/future decisions before :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a gap year before my Masters - want to apply this September for 2008 entry. This is for the simple reason that I don't want to apply for grants because you need to have done amazingly well at degree level (ie. First Class Hons) and want to fund it myself. I'm currently working in a shoe shop and have quite a few hours per week but want something more office based so looking to move quite soon.

I think it would be quite common to take a gap year - i've been in education since I was 4 years old and want a break! I'm quite nervous about getting back into the swing of things but can't imagine it to be any worse than the summer holidays - you're dying to get back into work by the end of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    I'm taking a gap year before my Masters - want to apply this September for 2008 entry. This is for the simple reason that I don't want to apply for grants because you need to have done amazingly well at degree level (ie. First Class Hons) and want to fund it myself.
    wouldn't say that... my honours was only a second upper and i managed to win a scholarship paying the full 100% of my tuition fees... the secret is to start researching grants and scholarships early... as early as from next january i'm sure you'd be happy with the money you'd save, so don't give up!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcherry)
    wouldn't say that... my honours was only a second upper and i managed to win a scholarship paying the full 100% of my tuition fees... the secret is to start researching grants and scholarships early... as early as from next january i'm sure you'd be happy with the money you'd save, so don't give up!!
    Well I only got a 2:2 so don't think i'd get one. I'm applying now so theres no point waiting til January as i'll have already applied.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.