The Student Room Group

Noisy hallmates - every step has taken but nothing has changed

Hi,

I live on the 1st floor of my block. People downstairs and my own flatmates are quiet at night. The only problem is with those who live upstairs.

I don't care even while they are smoking weed, but they play loud music (with strong beats) all night until 2am/ 4am/ 6am. They also talk and laugh very loudly. Everything goes on in the room right above mine so it's very loud from my room even with my window shut.

I have personally gone upstairs and spoken to them several times for 3 consecutive nights. They would apologise and agree to keep the noise down but this never truly happened.

Until one night I could not take it anymore so I called the hall security at 1am. For THREE times. The noise would come back after the security has left their flat.

One major issue is, since they are all making noise in the room above mine, the noise is not really "loud" from outside their flat, or even in their hallway, because they are not in the kitchen, and they keep the bedroom door closed. But trust me it is very loud from my room.

For this reason, when I made repetitive calls to the security (in total 3 times), the security kind of got annoyed because it wasn't that loud from the entrance of their flat. And he even asked me what's my problem in my 3rd call. I was so pissed off, so I called the warden thereafter.

I assumed that the warden went to the flat upstairs, because the noise completely stopped (or at least no longer audible from my room), a while after I called the warden.

So this noise issue has been going on 99 nights out of 100. It's clear that even the security was not authoritative enough to control the noise. It's impractical to call the warden every midnight about this.

What can I do? Noise cancelling "music" never worked. I can't wear earplugs as they affect my blood pressure - that's what the doctor says. Moving is not an option either.

I don't care how much noise whoever makes from 7am to 11.30pm. But I can't sleep as long as these inconsiderate idiots are making noise.

For medical reason I need to sleep latest by 10/11pm. And the Hall Regulation forbids noise after 11.30pm. Yes I've told the people upstairs about all this but nothing has changed. I can't be sleeping at 4am every day.

What can I do??

Would appreciate your advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm afraid the killer for me was your: "For medical reason I need to sleep latest by 10/11pm"

Communal living simply doesn't work like that, and you're going to need to learn to compromise, medical condition or no medical condition. You're being unreasonable.
Reply 2
Well I never said people have to be quiet at 11pm. I clearly mentioned that the Hall Regulation states that noise is prohibited after 11.30pm. So regardless who sleeps at what time, everyone has to be quiet after 11.30pm. And fyi everyone who signed the contract to live here, agreed to abide by the rules.
Original post by joycelove
Hi,

I live on the 1st floor of my block. People downstairs and my own flatmates are quiet at night. The only problem is with those who live upstairs.

I don't care even while they are smoking weed, but they play loud music (with strong beats) all night until 2am/ 4am/ 6am. They also talk and laugh very loudly. Everything goes on in the room right above mine so it's very loud from my room even with my window shut.

I have personally gone upstairs and spoken to them several times for 3 consecutive nights. They would apologise and agree to keep the noise down but this never truly happened.

Until one night I could not take it anymore so I called the hall security at 1am. For THREE times. The noise would come back after the security has left their flat.

One major issue is, since they are all making noise in the room above mine, the noise is not really "loud" from outside their flat, or even in their hallway, because they are not in the kitchen, and they keep the bedroom door closed. But trust me it is very loud from my room.

For this reason, when I made repetitive calls to the security (in total 3 times), the security kind of got annoyed because it wasn't that loud from the entrance of their flat. And he even asked me what's my problem in my 3rd call. I was so pissed off, so I called the warden thereafter.

I assumed that the warden went to the flat upstairs, because the noise completely stopped (or at least no longer audible from my room), a while after I called the warden.

So this noise issue has been going on 99 nights out of 100. It's clear that even the security was not authoritative enough to control the noise. It's impractical to call the warden every midnight about this.

What can I do? Noise cancelling "music" never worked. I can't wear earplugs as they affect my blood pressure - that's what the doctor says. Moving is not an option either.

I don't care how much noise whoever makes from 7am to 11.30pm. But I can't sleep as long as these inconsiderate idiots are making noise.

For medical reason I need to sleep latest by 10/11pm. And the Hall Regulation forbids noise after 11.30pm. Yes I've told the people upstairs about all this but nothing has changed. I can't be sleeping at 4am every day.

What can I do??

Would appreciate your advice :smile:

I can't see you have any other option but moving.
Deary me, it's student accommodation - you should have expected and been prepared for this type of thing. Just let them have a bit of fun, I'm sure they'll always let you join in!
Reply 5
Original post by #ChaosKass
Deary me, it's student accommodation - you should have expected and been prepared for this type of thing. Just let them have a bit of fun, I'm sure they'll always let you join in!

Please change your picture unless this is actually you
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
I can't see you have any other option but moving.

Okay.. Thank you....

Let's say I'm not moving,

Should I continue reporting the noise until those people eventually receive fines, and get tired of being penalised?..

Since they are smoking weed they would want to stay away from the warden & security since my complaints put them at risk of being caught smoking weed
Original post by joycelove
Okay.. Thank you....

Let's say I'm not moving,

Should I continue reporting the noise until those people eventually receive fines, and get tired of being penalised?..

Since they are smoking weed they would want to stay away from the warden & security since my complaints put them at risk of being caught smoking weed

I suppose you can try if you want, but your just going to have more sleepless nights where they turn the music down for a bit then turn it up again. No idea how long it will take for security to impose fines.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
I'm afraid the killer for me was your: "For medical reason I need to sleep latest by 10/11pm"

Communal living simply doesn't work like that, and you're going to need to learn to compromise, medical condition or no medical condition. You're being unreasonable.

Seriously?

The rules say no music after 11.30 - so obviously it's within his rights to complain.

And you can't just ignore the medical condition. On one hand, as above, his claim is valid, and on the other it's much more important in comparison than people playing music incessantly.

OP, if they keep doing it, read your contract and threaten the accommodation provider with legal action. That should of course be the ultimate solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Fergo
Seriously?

The rules say no music after 11.30 - so obviously it's within his rights to complain.

And you can't just ignore the medical condition. On one hand, as above, his claim is valid, and on the other it's much more important in comparison than people playing music incessantly.

OP, if they keep doing it, read your contract and threaten the accommodation provider with legal action. That should of course be the ultimate solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the OP truly cared about their medical condition then they wouldn't have stayed in student accommodation. They knew what they were getting into, no sympathy is needed.
Reply 10
Original post by #ChaosKass
If the OP truly cared about their medical condition then they wouldn't have stayed in student accommodation. They knew what they were getting into, no sympathy is needed.

What?! How even did you reach this conclusion?

Every accommodation suite has rules regarding noise. He went there with the rightful expectation that these be applied.

Student accommodations aren't permanently noisy. And if they are, those responsible should be penalised. The OP shouldn't have to miss the experience because of some brats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems like you're already logging the incidents since you know it happens 99 days out of 100.

Suppose you could get the council environmental health department involved - I don't think student accommodation is exempt from the laws about noise nuisance, but don't know how rapidly they could act since council budgets have been given the austerity treatment. councils can lend you a noise monitoring system to collect evidence (it's possible to hire these systems yourself but they're expensive)
Student accommodation is always noisy, that's just the way it is. Also you mentioned that they aren't in their kitchen, they're in their bedroom so they are doing the responsible thing. Yeah you're hearing stuff because you live underneath that bedroom, but obviously even their own flat isn't bothered by it so it sounds like you're making this out to be a huge deal when it is a minor annoyance. Seriously, if they are in a bedroom it's not like they're having a huge party every night because there isn't enough space. Every uni has quiet hours (ours are 11pm-8am) but no one pays attention to them because life would be horrifically boring if people did. You'll adjust to the noise soon enough. If no one but you is bothered by it then it isn't a real problem
Well there's every chance that nothing will change. Security and wardens don't really care about whether or not these people are noisy. You're the only person who cares. A few options you do have:
1. keep complaining to wardens/security and insist they come to your room to hear how loud it is, call them repeatedly - I was a warden and had this happen to me and I in turn made a lot of complaints to my boss that I was being constantly woken up for the same reason which pushed them to take action
2. move on to making formal complaints to your halls of residence/whoever manages it
3. Once you've done step one and two request to be moved to a different room at no cost as they cannot provide accommodation suitable for your medical needs

be aware that if you move you may just encounter the same problems... noise is a pretty common occurence in halls
If you have a legitimate medicinal diagnose requesting a move because your needs are met where you are is your most realistic option.
Unfortunately my experiences with noisey neighbours are reporting fixes nothing if they want to be loud then there will be no amount of complaints will make them behave reasonably. You could literally mention the drugs to the warden and see if that gets you anywhere but I doubt it will.
Original post by _Fergo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Important according to whom? You? You're making the decision here that the OPs need for sleep at 10/11pm (far earlier than most students would consider normal) is more important than the other people's right to play and enjoy music. Why do you think you're in a position to make that judgement? Just because someone has some vague 'medical condition' doesn't mean that their rights get to trump everyone else's. If the medical condition is that bad, then you need to be asking why the OP thought that living in halls was a good idea in the first place - the fact that they are noisy is not exactly a secret.

Communal living involves compromise. The people upstairs should be abiding by the rules about no audible music after 11.30pm, but the OP also needs to realise that making statements about 'having to be asleep by 10/11pm' is incompatible with living in halls at university - she too needs to compromise.

Your advice about 'legal action' is totally over the top and likely to alienate her yet further from her fellow residents in hall. Throwing your weight around threatening 'legal action' is never a wise idea.
The security don't seem that strict with regards to fines etc. I got fined in halls, it was a one strike and you're out kind of thing!
Maybe you could ask them to play their music in the kitchen? They sound like they're at least trying to be quiet if they're in the bedroom and most people are unaffected!
Reply 18
Original post by Reality Check
Important according to whom? You? You're making the decision here that the OPs need for sleep at 10/11pm (far earlier than most students would consider normal) is more important than the other people's right to play and enjoy music. Why do you think you're in a position to make that judgement? Just because someone has some vague 'medical condition' doesn't mean that their rights get to trump everyone else's. If the medical condition is that bad, then you need to be asking why the OP thought that living in halls was a good idea in the first place - the fact that they are noisy is not exactly a secret.

Communal living involves compromise. The people upstairs should be abiding by the rules about no audible music after 11.30pm, but the OP also needs to realise that making statements about 'having to be asleep by 10/11pm' is incompatible with living in halls at university - she too needs to compromise.

Your advice about 'legal action' is totally over the top and likely to alienate her yet further from her fellow residents in hall. Throwing your weight around threatening 'legal action' is never a wise idea.

Because of rules. I'm not making any judgment out of my own - all university contracts have clauses of well-being, and 'resting' times are either directly or indirectly incorporated. In this case, it's no loud music after 11.30. The OP went in with the expectation that this general rule be applied. There's nothing more to it. There is not such thing as compromising. It's a rule that should be enforced if someone complains. End of.

But seriously even if this were not the case, you're telling me that some idiots' wants to play music till 5am almost every day trump another's medical condition? In what twisted way is this correct?

And 10-11pm is definitely not much earlier than most students sleep. I don't know what uni you're going to, but if there are lectures at 8-9am the next day, you can't wait till 4am to sleep.

And my advice of legal action is not at all over the top. Unfortunately some administrators will only take proper action if such a threat takes place. And the OP definitely has a claim if the contract specifies such rules. Even if not, there could be a claim in private nuisance, given the continuous disturbance.

So yeah, just because you want to be the bad boy and support those doesn't mean other students have to. There are things they can consider and they should not compromise if doing so risks their personal well-being.
Original post by _Fergo
Because of rules, dummy. I'm not making any judgment out of my own - all university contracts have clauses of well-being, and 'resting' times are either directly or indirectly incorporated. In this case, it's no loud music after 11.30. The OP went in with the expectation that this general rule be applied. There's nothing more to it. There is not such thing as compromising. It's a rule that should be enforced if someone complains. End of.

But seriously even if this were not the case, you're telling me that some idiots' wants to play music till 5am almost every day trump another's medical condition? In what twisted way is this correct?

And 10-11pm is definitely not much earlier than most students sleep. I don't know what uni you're going to, but if there are lectures at 8-9am the next day, you can't wait till 4am to sleep.

And my advice of legal action is not at all over the top. Unfortunately some administrators will only take proper action if such a threat takes place. And the OP definitely has a claim if the contract specifies such rules. Even if not, there could be a claim in private nuisance, given the continuous disturbance.

So yeah, just because you want to be the bad boy and support those jerks doesn't mean other students have to. There are things they can consider and they should not compromise if doing so risks their personal well-being.

What a bizarre rant, totally devoid of any answer to my points, instead some personal insults and a shaky grasp on the facts. And 'private nuisance'...in a university hall of residence :rofl: I think someone's taking their tort law paper a bit too literally!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest