tbator
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing my final year of Alevels, and i am studying Mathematics, Computer Science and Sociology. After finishing University (Studying Computer Science) I want to pursue a career in the RAF as a figther pilot.

I have heard conflicting rumours about how the RAF can sponsor and train you through University and just wanted a confirmation, and if not what is the best process to joining the RAF.

I
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
here's a start.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/r...aircrew/pilot/
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tbator)
I'm doing my final year of Alevels, and i am studying Mathematics, Computer Science and Sociology. After finishing University (Studying Computer Science) I want to pursue a career in the RAF as a figther pilot.

I have heard conflicting rumours about how the RAF can sponsor and train you through University and just wanted a confirmation, and if not what is the best process to joining the RAF.

I
There's an armed forces careers forum here with about 57,000 threads on joining the RAF. Go have a look.

Yes, sponsorship exists, but to say it's rare is an understatement.
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely read up on this career and ensure you are approaching it from the most advantageous route - from the little I know of it they have recently been cutting back on the numbers of fighter pilots with some, days from qualifying training being axed.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by VMD100)
Definitely read up on this career and ensure you are approaching it from the most advantageous route - from the little I know of it they have recently been cutting back on the numbers of fighter pilots with some, days from qualifying training being axed.
That was 6 years ago.
I know very well; I was there.

The only ones who get booted out that close now are the ones who fail.
tbator
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
That was 6 years ago.
I know very well; I was there.

The only ones who get booted out that close now are the ones who fail.
so do you know what the recruitment process is like today, in terms of difficuilty and competition.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tbator)
so do you know what the recruitment process is like today, in terms of difficuilty and competition.
Yes.

The process is moreorless identical, therefore the difficulty is the same.
The competition is the same.

Reading the threads here and the information on the RAF careers site will give you all the basic information you need.
Fritz Lansen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If we remove the word "fighter" and just concentrate on the pilot bit, there probably hasn't been a better time to be lookin to join the RAF.

The cuts of 2010, whilst life changing for those affected by the redundancy of around 200 from the pilot training pipeline, have very much been reversed by SDSR 15. Required annual numbers were already healthy, and now will increase by about 25%.

Add to that you'll be going into a training system with some very nice new aeroplanes!
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fritz Lansen)
If we remove the word "fighter" and just concentrate on the pilot bit, there probably hasn't been a better time to be lookin to join the RAF.

The cuts of 2010, whilst life changing for those affected by the redundancy of around 200 from the pilot training pipeline, have very much been reversed by SDSR 15. Required annual numbers were already healthy, and now will increase by about 25%.

Add to that you'll be going into a training system with some very nice new aeroplanes!
Perhaps I misunderstood the original post but I assumed they wished to be a fast jet pilot specifically.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps I misunderstood the original post but I assumed they wished to be a fast jet pilot specifically.
Yes, but whether or not you get there isn't up to you. You can't only apply to be a 'fighter pilot', you apply to be a pilot and they put you where they need you.
Fritz Lansen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SamAbs)
In recent years, there is probably not a better time to join the RAF as a pilot than now. With the latest defence review in 2015 announcing new front line typhoon squadrons and the introduction of the F35, I think they said there would be an extra 200 fast jet vacancies alone, thats on top of vacancies for rotary and multi engine pilots aswell. I have a friend who literally applied straight out of sixth form last year and he's on IOT now to become a pilot. Dependant on how set you are on wanting to go to universirty, Id say there was no reason on not applying now. As long as you have done or are doing things such as team sports, volunteering, things that demonstate that you are a good leader, there is no reason you wouldn't get in now. Also If you wanted to do a degree, there is no reason you couldn't do one in your RAF career and get paid for doing it, as opposed to getting into debt.
Whoa, let's not get carried away!

The pilot input numbers have (currently) gone up by about 20%; there's no recruiting X for FJ, Y for RW and Z for ME. That all depends on who is leaving at the other end, amongst other things.

As for the "in service degree", do your research - it is often discussed on here and isn't something you just do. If you want to go to uni, go to uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads