The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hey, Im gonna be doing Fashion buying next year, no doubt this is seen as mickey mouse. I could have done something respectable as im getting very good a level grades hopefully, but id rather do a degree doing something i love and having a job at the end of it which will pay me 30k a year starting off and if i work my way up ill be getting between 60-90k a year. So id rather have that than the respect of an online forum tbh. :smile:
Reply 181
Yay, good for you!

Yeah; I'll never understand why people take degrees/do jobs they don't enjoy - is the opinion of others, or the money, really all that they feel is worth anything?

I'd never heard of fashion buying until recently, when people were ripping it to shreds in another 'Mickey Mouse Course' thread. It's all about buying clothes in for retailers isn't it? Predicting fashions etc?
Sounds really interesting and fun too! Good for you. I was looking at jobs with Arcadia the other day and a lot of the roles specify fashion graduates, so no one can say it's a useless degree as there is a definite career path. I hope you get the offers you want!
Ah ! Fantastic day :biggrin:

I don't know if anyone else has to yet, but one of our modules (1/2 module) is allocated towards our final year project next year.
The idea is to get people thinking and to create a proposal... which, if done well, can be used next year and the marks carried over.

Anyway... I just have one of those moments today, you know the ones, when you seem to brainstorm to death, then out of no-where, a glimmer of light shows itself (or less poetically :p:) and everything just...'clicks'.
It's such a good feeling... all that research i've done leading up to now pays off and hopefully I it justice and get some good marks.

If anyone's interested, it's regarding the G1G1 scheme, which is such a great scheme and works on so many different levels. I don't know the ins and outs of how the project will focus yet (research/evaluation based), but my "project supervisor" seemed as keen as me, so i'm dead chuffed. Glad I got something, I was always thinking in my first year, what if I couldn't find anything good.

Oh, and one more thing... on their site, they have a bit which gives the press a number & email to request information, so I thought I would try and see, not thinking much would come of it (have tried numerous companies in the past, to no luck), but they replyed in a matter of hours :eek: and they were SO nice in their email back to me, very personal and friendly, they sound like a great team who really want to spread the word :^_^:

To be honest, I don't know why I typed that... but I enjoy reading how everyone else is getting on, so I thought i'd chip in :p: Kinda makes having to get up at 7.30 tomorrow a little easier.
yay CJ, sounds like the project has all the potential to get a really good mark! Especially as the company are so eager to cooperate with you, that's what will give it the edge. :biggrin:
Reply 185
Yay <CJ>, good to hear that you've got a good plan sorted out. I just had a read about that G1G1 scheme, and what a great scheme it is!

I don't have to start thinking about my third year for a while yet, but I've got to admit I won't have a clue where to start when it comes to choosing that all-important dissertation topic!

It's also great to hear that you've gotten a good response from them after contacting them. I hear so much on my course about how people are ignored, or treated rudely, when they ask for information - and it's great when you hear differently, and find out that someone's been supportive and helpful! Well done!

I know this is a complete sidenote here, but it's something I want to add into this thread.

I don't know if anyone's seen my other thread lately, but it's here if people want to read:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10076813

In short, I've never known my real Dad, and have been searching for him since I was 16, in secret, because my Mum would tell me nothing other than his name, and I was forbidden from ever mentioning him. Anyway, a few days ago, he traced me on Facebook and we've been speaking via messages on there every night.

He's told me how proud he is of the course I'm doing; and asked about my plans for the future once I've gotten my degree - he seems really enthusiastic about it all, which in turn has made me feel even better about my degree choice.

Just wanted to mention that, hope nobody minds it not being COMPLETELY relevant!
just read through your thread cpj and I'm so happy for you! :hugs: I guess it must be a very confusing and emotional time, so best of luck building the relationship with your dad and getting some answers from your mum.

And great to hear that he's proud of your degree!
Reply 187
strawberry_wise
just read through your thread cpj and I'm so happy for you! :hugs: I guess it must be a very confusing and emotional time, so best of luck building the relationship with your dad and getting some answers from your mum.

And great to hear that he's proud of your degree!

Thanks very much. Yeah, I can't exactly do much more until my Mum knows; but we'll see where it goes from there. :biggrin:
Yes, I am studying International Development w/ tourism. No, I don't want to be a travel agent.

I want to work in sustainable development/tourism which requires a degree (plus masters in some cases), so why not do a degree in something related.

Oh, and I'm Laura and I studying at the University of Chester. I wanted to go here; I got offers from "better" universities, but didn't want to go there. Why do people have a problem with that? x
Reply 189
Haha, well said Laura!

Welcome to the society. :smile:

I completely agree with the point about the university too; I have people who STILL ask me 'So, you could've gotten any grade you wanted, why aren't you at Oxford?'; and my answer's usually 'Because I'm human'. The whole concept of working hard to get the highest grades possible, to me, seems ridiculous when I had the choice between that, enjoying every aspect of my life, and becoming a well-rounded person.
Similarly, UCLan's the best university for ME; and I believe that the best university is the one that's right for the individual; NOT the one highest in the league table - I didn't even look at those things when I applied; and it amazes me still, looking on here, how many people seem to base the whole, or the majority of their decisions on them.

If the university's right, and so's the course...why go anywhere else? :biggrin:
Reply 190
'
Of course, what constitutes a real degree has nothing to do with what one actually enjoys. To paraphrase a greater man than me, if everyone just did what they enjoyed, we'd all spend all day watching the Poker Channel, *******, and eating those expensive German biscuits (probably).

Yet, this won't make it any more of a legitimate choice when the degree in Poker Channel Masturbation and Biscuits is launched for next academic year - at Manchester Met, I believe, with Edge Hill and Liverpool Hope following.

Of course, the students of said course will refuse to ever admit that they're taking a lesser degree with even slightly narrowed career prospects, and will probably put the views of their detractors down to pure jealousy. And as much as we'd like to spend three years (four with Masters) tossing off, we realise that we might want something with a little more intellectual rigour.

I'm sorry to kick some sense into your sorry skull, but not all degrees pitch at the same level. In fact - as it may shock and disturb you to hear - some even have applications processes, to filter out those unable to cope with the level of their teaching! And yet - in some apparently illogical twist - these people then cope perfectly well at other (I'd say "lesser") universities! What has happened here? If it's not that the course is different, what then? Did the applicant just forget to switch his brain on until he got to Lancaster?

If we're going to repeatedly delve into pseudo-psychology, then I reckon you're probably just a little bit jealous of those getting the academic (rather than vocational) degrees, from the less modern universities. Of course you're doing the subject you want - and good luck to you, it sounds fun - but your course will never replace those degrees with a firm requirement for not just learning, but actual original thought. And that's why us non-Mickey-Mousers would stand a pretty good chance in pretty much any career we choose.'

The above are comments by a certain TSR member. I won't name names, do a search if you want, but I'm arguing with him now, and can't believe how ridiculous some of the comments he's making are. Amazing how un-informed and insecure some people are...just thought I'd vent on here.
Hehe, I read it. I think you did well. I had a little pop too if it makes you feel any better. :hugs:
Reply 192
Haha, well done you!

I'm calmer this morning :p:

Usually, stuff like that doesn't wind me up. If people think my course and my uni are rubbish, and have based their opinions on nothing other than a league table; that's no problem to me.

However, when people start deliberately targetting individuals and causing offense, using ad hominem methods of attack; it annoys me.

Telling me I'm stupid, and I'm spending 3 years doing nothing...I'd like to see him even TRY and do a bit of my course.
Reply 193
*Applauds*
:clap2:

:bumps: :bunny: :clap2: ;dancejf;

:hugs: to this society.
Reply 194
Aww, thanks Laus :smile:
Reply 195
*bounces in, whispers 'nicely put' to strawberry_wise regarding that other thread, and leaves again*
Reply 196
'THE HEAD of Imperial College in London, Sir Richard Sykes, believes students should pay a higher rate of interest on their loans to make them think twice about &#8220;Mickey Mouse&#8221; courses.
Sir Richard, the Rector of the university, said that students would be deterred from taking &#8220;damn silly courses&#8221; if the loans were pushed closer to the high
street bank rates.
His plans would mean graduates would come out of university with well over £30,000 worth of debt.
His opinions echo those of many senior university figures, who view the growth of degree courses such as golf management and surfing with growing alarm.
He has also said that fees must also rise when the payment system is reviewed in 2009.
If his predictions prove correct, future UCLan students may be paying £5,000 in fees with an interest rate raised to mirror &#8220;market level.&#8221;
Sir Richard said: "When the cap comes off there has to be a real rate of interest.&#8221;
&#8220;Then you will make people think, 'Is this what I want to do, because I'm going to have to pay this money back at a real rate?'
His views challenge Labour&#8217;s policy of sending more school-leavers to university within three years."

Hi everyone.

This was in my Uni's student newspaper today, and I thought I'd copy it into here and gauge your opinions on it!
Mine's kinda mixed:

Firstly, I think that this discrimination between degrees is ridiculous - especially calling them 'damn silly courses' - when in fact, to get high grades in our degrees we have to work just as hard as anyone doing Maths at Cambridge, in my opinion. Anyone else believe that?
Those people that say 'you've got it easy', or 'you're doing a slacker's course' clearly don't have a clue - although I will admit that sometimes I play along, and say that, when my friends have more contact time than me, whilst I'm off doing self-study.

Secondly, as much as I hate the idea of this discrimination; I admit that I WOULD pay extra to do this course, because it's what I want, and need to do, to get where I want to be. So, I could argue the case against it for ages, but if it turned out I did need to pay the extra, I would. Luckily, I graduate in 2009 anyway so I won't be affected at all, according to the predicitions above, but still!

Thirdly; Maybe I've got the concept of interest wrong, but surely it's much more harmful to raise interest rates, than to raise our tuition fees. It's a debt more difficult to get out of if interest is constantly rising. Maybe that's what they want, but personally, I see that as an incredibly dangerous way to treat people who're going to be giving back to the country/government anyway. I'd love to know what my taxes would be for if I got treated like a 'lesser person' because of the degree I'd taken, and had to fight through extra debt because of higher interest rates, whilst others got it easy. Though, maybe I've got the whole concept wrong here.

So yeah, there's my opinion - some of which I know has been discussed before, but I wanted to see what some of you lot thought on the article!

:smile:
Hmmm was interesting reading that.

My first thoughts were that, why is he getting involved? Imperial is well known for providing some top courses, that well over subscribed and respected by just about everyone... so it's easy to critisise when you're in his position. Does he have a genuine interest in such things, or is there an alternative motive there? as he isn't calling for the "damn silly courses" to have higher interest, but every course as a whole.
Secondly "Well over £30,000" is a horrid figure, and those looking to continue their eduction through a masters etc will have to think twice and wonder if it's worth it... you'd be in so much debt after that.
I also don't like the thought of people who want to go to university, but can't because of the money issue. I didn't like it when it was introduced and I still don't. Especially as an increase will cause more to think twice (not just about the course, but university at all - not good).

I hope the fees get capped fairly in 2009, but who knows. THe last thing i'd want to see is different uni's with different fees and different courses with various prices. That would be dreadful.
Reply 198
<CJ>
or is there an alternative motive there? as he isn't calling for the "damn silly courses" to have higher interest, but every course as a whole.

Ah yeah...I read that wrong the first time, and thought he wanted higher interest on just those courses he called 'damn silly'.
Either way, it's ridiculous. :p:
Reply 199
Here's a question for you - am I a "mickey mouser"?

I'm doing a BA in Film and Literature, after which I'll be doing an MA in Literature, and then probably go on to do a Literature doctorate, as long as I do well enough in my MA.

I get kinda frustrated with people who say "Why are you doing film? What are you gonna do with that?". First thing - I do it with Literature, and secondly, I want to get into academia, hence the whole doctorate plan - I'd love to get some of my writing on film published. It's not just a slacker course like some people might suggest, and the associated prejudices people have is tiresome when they don't know the individual facts.

Latest

Trending

Trending