Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    How does private accommodation compare to uni accommodation pricewise for everyone else? I'm paying an extra £10 a week over the uni rate and that dosn't include bills or the cleaning I used to get at uni.
    Why is it more? thats quite unusual. mine is £25 less that university accomodation, but that was pretty damn nice and i had en suite and cleaning every day.

(Original post by joyabbott)
    It'll disappear Rah - By the time you pay your water, electricity, phone, internet, gas....... and all the other additional expenses that arise when living in a house.

However, living in a house is great. Whilst I loved living in halls in my first year, 2nd year wasn't as fun. I'd done the 'freshers' thing before, and 2nd time round it was incredibly annoying when I had huge amounts of work to be done.

Where's your house? I'm living in Dunkirk (Highfield Rd). Moved in here last year and am hoping to stay until I graduate. House hunting really was sooo time consuming and stressful.
    i know i know, however i convinced myself that the debt i'm busy running up this summer is going to be eaten up with the extra money, i like my dillusions

we are in lenton (of course), near the bag of nails. and the dog and topper. and the grove. can't think why we choose there i dont think we will have any problems but its gonna be weird as the two medics are never going to be in so its just me and my history friend with our 6hr timetables playing ps2 and snes all day.

i'm so going to fail next year hehe.

anywhere you suggest for second year bars/clubs? apparently we have to break away from our works-ocean-jaks-ocean-zone routine as thats a first year thing, curses!

(£96 is standard (not en suite/shared) nottingham catered accomodation, works out as like £2923 or something, bye bye student loan :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    I paid £81 last year (ensuite, cleaned everyday) and am paying £50+bills for my tiny little room in a gorgeous house next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    How does private accommodation compare to uni accommodation pricewise for everyone else? I'm paying an extra £10 a week over the uni rate and that dosn't include bills or the cleaning I used to get at uni.

An extra £5 a week on top of what my Self Catered Flat cost me last year, so it brings it up to £56.50 p/w, including only water rates.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, there seems to be a progression towards bars in higher years, though Ocean remains popular

You're living with medics, so that's excellent on the 'discounts' front. Think Quilted Llama have realised they were a little too generous with their 50% discounts, so not sure they're continuing it next year. Think the Living Room are doing some good promotions though,

I have to admit (I can't believe I'm saying this) to have taken to the Irish. I admit, it's a complete and utter dump in every respect, however, Thursday nights are a great laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    An extra £5 a week on top of what my Self Catered Flat cost me last year, so it brings it up to £56.50 p/w, including only water rates.
    That's cheap! I don't think I'll be paying that little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    That's cheap! I don't think I'll be paying that little!

Average private sector prices are £45-60 p/w. Prices tend to be at the lower end the further away from Uni / Student dominated areas, you go.

In Sheffield the more expensive places (£52-60) are Woodseats (Shef Hal), Broomhall (Shef Hal), Eccy Road (Shef Hal/Uni), Broomhill (Uni), Hunter's Bar (Uni), Greystones (Shef Hal/Uni), Crookes (Uni) and Crookesmoore (Uni).

Walkley, Fulwood, and places further afield tend to be at the cheaper end.

City Centre private accommodation for students tends to be stupidly expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Should have gone to Sheffield!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Should have gone to Sheffield!
    Cheap cost of living up 'ere int'north.

Bring your flat cap and t'wippet love

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to living in a house cause I've had such a great year in halls. However on the plus side I won't have to put up with the mess the lads used to make the kitchen constantly and some of my mates off my course who last year lived in different halls are gonna be like two minutes down the road so that'll be cool oh and the area it's in is a lot better than where my halls were.

Actually, thinking about it ... living in a house might turn out to be better than halls beens as the people I'm not living with from my flat are gonna be in same area.

The only real downside is I'm paying out more in rent cause we have to pay for the full year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    The only real downside is I'm paying out more in rent cause we have to pay for the full year
    Yeah it's annoying - I'm paying for 11 months but probably only need it for 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Well ya know if you wanna switch places, I'm sure you could cope in my room in Sheffield whilest I take the spare bed in the "dorm" room at yours.
    Lol I'm sure you'd enjoy that! If you can cook then even better, you can be our the man servant about the place !

Just got back from Norwich, the house is so much bigger than I remembered, we even have a pond! Got to sort out gas and electricity tomorrow though which might take a bit of time. My room does feel quite empty though as I hardly took any stuff with me, got no posters on my walls! I'm paying £225 a month, which doesn't include any bills, so I reckon it'll work out the same as I was paying for uni accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    yayyyyy im moving into mine on septeber the 4th...i cant belive how some of you are hardly going down anything in costs...im going from £97.44 a week last year to £56 this year!! so even with bills i should spend less this year!! yupeepep!!

with our house we have to be there (or at least 2 of us do) the day we get the house to get the keys and check the house.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Yeah it's annoying - I'm paying for 11 months but probably only need it for 9.
    Yeah I reckon I'll probably only actually there for nine months. Our rent is quite expensive compared to some of my mates too - £240 a month :eek: but then it is a lush house and apparently our landlord is one of the best for making sure everything is up to scratch. Shall have to see how we get on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    yayyyyy im moving into mine on septeber the 4th...i cant belive how some of you are hardly going down anything in costs...im going from £97.44 a week last year to £56 this year!! so even with bills i should spend less this year!! yupeepep!!

with our house we have to be there (or at least 2 of us do) the day we get the house to get the keys and check the house.

love Katy ***
    I think the price will work out like that for me too. My hall worked out at about £108/week (catered hall, ensuite shared room) and this year a house should be £50-60/week.

ReputationRep:
    Im paying more money and for a longer period, I had term time onbly last year in halls plus bills im going to have no money. To top it off im getting the box room!

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to snag the attic room, which as well as being the largest room in the house has the sun window which I can use to get onto the roof. Hurrah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    I've managed to snag the attic room, which as well as being the largest room in the house has the sun window which I can use to get onto the roof. Hurrah!
    And not forgetting offers fantastic views over the city.

I managed to spot Meadowhall and Don Valley Stadium from my room up at Crookes; Meadowhall mainly through the lights on the dome at night, but Arena/Don Valley/EIS/IceSheffield is easy to spot anytime - and can be spotted from Hicks, or the Art Tower no problem at all.

Technically I've got the smallest of the bedrooms, but even that clocks in at 12 ft x 12 ft, so I aint complaining.

The Pizza Hut Takeaway on Crookes offers 25 % off to Students too !

ReputationRep:
    i have the smallest room....but its in the attick...with my own personal stairs and its pink.

athought as my bf moans i didnt think of him as i have to duck on the stairs and im only little!! i think whoever carries me to bed in freshers week is going to have quite a sore head!!

bless.

love Katy ***

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.