NASA: Earth’s magnetic poles are ‘switching’ Watch

Golden_joy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The only thing causing rising sea levels and change in climate has to be Pole Shift with the magnetic pole moving from Canada towards the UK the last 50 years I think this is a likely cause in such event changes and recent techtonic activities.

With pole shift affecting atmosphere I can see temperature rise links:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...?client=safari
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Golden_joy)
The only thing causing rising sea levels and change in climate has to be Pole Shift with the magnetic pole moving from Canada towards the UK the last 50 years I think this is a likely cause in such event changes and recent techtonic activities.

**** and I just got a new compass.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Geomagnetism has practically nothing to do with climate change and this is an appalling piece of journalism that is misrepresenting the science. It has been known for a long time that the earth's magnetic field is weakening, this is not exactly breaking news.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Geomagnetic shifts aren't new in the grand scheme of things. They happen about every 450,000 years & there hasn't been one in 780,000 years so the Earth is definitely due one. However the actual shifts themselves happen a long period of time - from as little as a hundred years to as many a 20,000 years .

I really don't think it's worth losing any sleep over.
Golden_joy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am certain pole shift must have some impact on climate. I don't think we know enough about it because no recent humans have observed such an event.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am certain pole shift must have some impact on climate. I don't think we know enough about it because no recent humans have observed such an event.
Why are you 'certain'?
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And you believe that you understand this problem better than the scientific establishment for what reasons, exactly? Do you think it might perhaps be a good idea to actually start learning about the science rather than reading alarmist tabloid newspapers?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The article claims, in its infinite wisdom that the last such change killed off the neanderthals, who coexisted with humans, yet the last such change happened over 400,000 years ago. The author can't quite seem to think things through.

Climate researchers believe we are heading towards a reversal of the planet's magnetic field, an event that has happened before and has been attributed to wiping out the Neanderthal species.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:beard:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (137)
47.08%
No (37)
12.71%
I'm not old enough (117)
40.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed