i quit my job without another one lined up Watch

Articultr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
is this bad? i'm 19 and quit my job today due to stress and illness. i really just want to take christmas off and get another part time job next year. i have enough money to keep me going until next year but my mum is saying i shouldn't have quit without a backup job as future jobs will ask why i quit. i don't see what's wrong with quitting my job if it's what i want to do and i need a mental health break, what does everyone else think have i made a bad decision?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is harder to get into a job when you aren't already in one,however it sounds like you made the right decision if it's was harming your health by staying
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Articultr)
is this bad? i'm 19 and quit my job today due to stress and illness. i really just want to take christmas off and get another part time job next year. i have enough money to keep me going until next year but my mum is saying i shouldn't have quit without a backup job as future jobs will ask why i quit. i don't see what's wrong with quitting my job if it's what i want to do and i need a mental health break, what does everyone else think have i made a bad decision?
Yes, you'll probably find it was a mistake. Employers like to employ people who are employed, it's like another reference.

In some circumstances it can affect your ability to get benefits, because you have effectively chosen to become unemployed when you didn't need to be (or only by your decision).

Taking a break for mental health reasons isn't going to endear you to employers either, without a formal medical diagnosis and evident treatment, it just makes you look flaky and lightweight. The next employer will worry that you will do the same thing to them.
Articultr
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Yes, you'll probably find it was a mistake. Employers like to employ people who are employed, it's like another reference.

In some circumstances it can affect your ability to get benefits, because you have effectively chosen to become unemployed when you didn't need to be (or only by your decision).

Taking a break for mental health reasons isn't going to endear you to employers either, without a formal medical diagnosis and evident treatment, it just makes you look flaky and lightweight. The next employer will worry that you will do the same thing to them.
i wouldn't tell my next employer that i took a break due to mental health reasons i'm just stating that's why i did it here. i've been extremely sick over the last week and my doctor has put it down to stress as my blood pressure is very high and i'm having bad chest pains linking to anxiety. he told me to cut down on my hours but as this is not possible at my job i have quit as my health is more important than my job. in future, i would just tell an employer that i quit due to health issues not mental health
lily237
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Articultr)
It sounds like you made the right decision to leave your job if it was affecting your health. From my own experience, there is nothing worse than going to work knowing that it is breaking you down and making you feel unwell. Try not to stress and worry too much and have a good break over Christmas so you feel refreshed for the New Year. Take some time to get to feel better. You will find it does the world of good, especially for your confidence and self-belief!

As for what to tell prospective employers, you don't have to go into too much detail and you certainly don't have to tell them that you left your job due to stress. You could say that you felt you couldn't grow and develop any more where you were working, that the role became less challenging, or that your commitments changed at home. If you do go for another job in the New Year, try and put a positive spin on it - say what you learnt and what you can bring to a new job!
Trevish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Resigning is not a solution but a break could be.. One week off and go enjoy yourself to break that stress...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Articultr
Rep:
?
(Original post by lily237)
It sounds like you made the right decision to leave your job if it was affecting your health. From my own experience, there is nothing worse than going to work knowing that it is breaking you down and making you feel unwell. Try not to stress and worry too much and have a good break over Christmas so you feel refreshed for the New Year. Take some time to get to feel better. You will find it does the world of good, especially for your confidence and self-belief!

As for what to tell prospective employers, you don't have to go into too much detail and you certainly don't have to tell them that you left your job due to stress. You could say that you felt you couldn't grow and develop any more where you were working, that the role became less challenging, or that your commitments changed at home. If you do go for another job in the New Year, try and put a positive spin on it - say what you learnt and what you can bring to a new job!
thank you for the advice! it's been a few days since i quit and i already feel miles better and it's made me actually want to get out of bed every day and do something as i now have the time and energy, so happy i'll get to actually enjoy christmas this year!
Articultr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trevish)
Resigning is not a solution but a break could be.. One week off and go enjoy yourself to break that stress...

Posted from TSR Mobile
bit late for that as i've already quit taking a week off wasn't an option for me as we're not allowed time off during christmas and i was working night shifts 6 days a week so :/ i'm a lot happier now i've left anyway the job was an absolute joke!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)

I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed