Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cass Business School watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondered what everyone thinks of the Cass Business School (City University). Although im not doing MSc level yet, on their website it has a post about an article in the Financial Times:

"Cass Business School was delighted to be cited in Barclays Global Investors latest recruitment ad in the Financial Times, July 22 issue.

BGI is currently looking to recruit “the world’s most talented quantitative minds” and is clearly encouraging postgraduates from a list of European MScs in the quantitative field to apply. The top 3 courses of this list are Cass MScs.

We already knew that companies do value our students but it is always good to be recognised! "

I should be going to the undergraduate school this September to study Investment and Financial Risk Management. Looking very forward to it. Anyone known anyone whos done this course or how good it looks to employers?

ReputationRep:
    go LSE, screw cass, they suck more than ever

ReputationRep:
    why is that then?

ReputationRep:
    i forgot to say: I rang Goldman Sachs during the week and asked them for their advice, and they stated that a degree from Cass Business School is fine for an application to themselves in the future.

Rob

ReputationRep:
    cass aint bad, for undergrads, its good, postgrads they charge stupid money.

its just a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    i forgot to say: I rang Goldman Sachs during the week and asked them for their advice, and they stated that a degree from Cass Business School is fine for an application to themselves in the future.

Rob
    What does that prove?

ReputationRep:
    Try finding out more about the course. If it doesn't appeal to you, go for something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    What does that prove?
    Well the idea of a degree is to ge ta good job, Goldman Sachs is the most prestigous investment bank to work for (but debatable) and it would be them recruiting me come the end of the day.

FAO Goldenboy Yes, i wouldnt study there for an MSc, if i do one- i would try for London Business School. I just thought that it reflected the overall image of the school well, and wondered what you thought.

ReputationRep:
    I've done some stuff at Cass through one of my old employers... the tutors were thorough and conscientious, but intellectually I didn't find it as stimulating as Templeton/Said in Oxford. I think it was because they offered too much on a plate to me at Cass... I kind of wanted to go away with a reading list and come to those conclusions by myself.

Mind you, the free laptop bag they gave me was ace!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzylou)
    I've done some stuff at Cass through one of my old employers... the tutors were thorough and conscientious, but intellectually I didn't find it as stimulating as Templeton/Said in Oxford. I think it was because they offered too much on a plate to me at Cass... I kind of wanted to go away with a reading list and come to those conclusions by myself.

Mind you, the free laptop bag they gave me was ace!
    Which undergraduate (& postgraduate (?)) courses have you done?

Which field of employment are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I did PGDip at Templeton/Said with Kingfisher and then a mini MBA at Cass with another employer. (My first degree was Langs at ChCh Oxon).

THe PGDip was equiv to an MA - same level of dissertation and exam requirements, but they don't do MA's at Templeton/Said as they will get mixed up with the MA(Oxon).

It may of course be that I prefer the Oxford style of teaching - but langs and mgt were taught in ENTIRELY different ways, so I don't think it was that. Ohmigod the number of LECTURES for mgt versus langs... jeez, I never used to bother with lectures...

I now work for a US media/entertainment company btw.

Lizzy

ReputationRep:
    I did PGDip at Templeton/Said with Kingfisher and then a mini MBA at Cass with another employer. (My first degree was Langs at ChCh Oxon).

THe PGDip was equiv to an MA - same level of dissertation and exam requirements, but they don't do MA's at Templeton/Said as they will get mixed up with the MA(Oxon).

It may of course be that I prefer the Oxford style of teaching - but langs and mgt were taught in ENTIRELY different ways, so I don't think it was that. Ohmigod the number of LECTURES for mgt versus langs... jeez, I never used to bother with lectures...

I now work for a US media/entertainment company btw.

Lizzy
    That sounds like quite an original course of study (and a cool job too!).

Did you find that management involved a lot of maths?

ReputationRep:

I dont mean to be rude, but are you talking about the undergraduate courses?

ReputationRep:
    i just thought- if it was through one of your employers- it must have been a postgrad degree- silly me!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it was postgrad. I'm just giving my opinion on the place - course content of course will vary dependent on the level of the degree you do.

I'm using these boards as a mature student doing A-level politics, but saw your posts and thought I might be able to help.

Lizzy

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a fun job, but I did have to do all the normal gimpery at junior level to get there. A post grad in management does help you skip a lot of that though, so bear that in mind....

Happy studying!

Lizzy

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that does sound interesting. Do you get to travel regularly?

ReputationRep:
    Not really - mainly UK based. Travel is overrated anyway. You rarely get to see much of the places you go to, only the airport, the hotel and the meeting room!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.