esme1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I have a question about obtaining 3 A Level Maths in Edexcel. I saw the
specifications about Advanced GCE combinations (page 9) which states:

9371 Advanced GCE Mathematics
Core Mathematics units C1, C2, C3 and C4 plus two Applications units from the following six combinations: M1 and M2; S1 and S2; D1 and D2; M1 and S1; S1 and D1; M1 and D1.

9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics
Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units. Students who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit results from 12 different teaching modules.

9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics
Core Mathematics units C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, and either FP2 or FP3.

It appears that the topics overlap (i.e. the 9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics comprises of topics that the other two already have). So in this case is it possible to get 3 A-level Maths?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by esme1234)
Hi, I have a question about obtaining 3 A Level Maths in Edexcel. I saw the
specifications about Advanced GCE combinations (page 9) which states:

9371 Advanced GCE Mathematics
Core Mathematics units C1, C2, C3 and C4 plus two Applications units from the following six combinations: M1 and M2; S1 and S2; D1 and D2; M1 and S1; S1 and D1; M1 and D1.

9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics
Further Pure Mathematics units FP1, FP2, FP3 and a further three Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units; or FP1, either FP2 or FP3 and a further four Applications units (excluding C1–C4) to make a total of six units. Students who are awarded certificates in both Advanced GCE Mathematics and Advanced GCE Further Mathematics must use unit results from 12 different teaching modules.

9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics
Core Mathematics units C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, and either FP2 or FP3.

It appears that the topics overlap (i.e. the 9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics comprises of topics that the other two already have). So in this case is it possible to get 3 A-level Maths?
You can currently get 3 a levels in maths by completing all 18 of the units Edexcel offer.
The final 6 units lead to an award of additional further maths.

However, the new A level maths specifications that will be introduced for teaching in September 2017 only permit the award of Maths and Further Maths. The third A level will no longer be available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
esme1234
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply
esme1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
You can currently get 3 a levels in maths by completing all 18 of the units Edexcel offer.
The final 6 units lead to an award of additional further maths.
By the way, I still need to confirm this: would I be able to get 3 A Levels in maths if I do only 12 different units (e.g. C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2 and 6 Applications units), because the 9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics comprises of 6 units (C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2 or FP3) that the other two already have?

So initially I thought I only needed to satisfy the 9371 Advanced GCE Mathematics & 9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics requirements, then would automatically get the 9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics.
nomad609
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not to hijack this thread but if were to do AFM as this year, would I be able to do AFM A2 next year?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nomad609)
Not to hijack this thread but if were to do AFM as this year, would I be able to do AFM A2 next year?
Yes
Summer 2018 is the final year for entering any units for the first time. Any that you have previously taken at any time could be retaken in 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by esme1234)
By the way, I still need to confirm this: would I be able to get 3 A Levels in maths if I do only 12 different units (e.g. C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2 and 6 Applications units), because the 9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics comprises of 6 units (C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2 or FP3) that the other two already have?

So initially I thought I only needed to satisfy the 9371 Advanced GCE Mathematics & 9372 Advanced GCE Further Mathematics requirements, then would automatically get the 9373 Advanced GCE Pure Mathematics.
No, you can't use the same units twice and get two qualifications for the price of one. You would not get the Pure Mathematics A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.02%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.9%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (47)
10.71%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.75%

Watched Threads