Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't know the word it basically means happiness because of the misfortune of others.

I started thinking about this because recently on results day a friend of mine didn't do as well as they thought they would. We're both about on the same level, except I would describe him as more of a socialite while I'm more of a nerd (not complaining, I've learnt enough social skills to get by recently). He often went out, parties, friends etc while I didn't so much. Now when he got his results and they weren't as good as he was expecting (and more to the point mine were good) I kinda thought "haha!".

Now there are 3 feelings going on here. Part of me feels good. It feels like there is some sort of fairness. Another part of me feels bad, he is my friend after all and even though we're competitive we're still friends. The other part feels bad that I feel good about the whole situation.

I think one of the reasons for feeling this might in part be jealousy. Me being jealous that he has a better social life than me (or more accurately, I perceive him to have a better social life than me, I don't have any hard facts).

Is it right to feel like this? Do people in general feel like this? What other experiences have people had involving schadenfreude? I'd love to hear anything.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, everyone feels it. They just don't talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously enough people feel it for there to be a word for it... There's nothng wrong with feeling like that, as long as you don't act on it and laugh in his face!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a very common feeling.

And Schadenfreude is the basis of a lot of "comedy". You've been framed, Beadles about, Jackass (I think). So everyone has it, you just feel guilty when the victim is a friend.

ReputationRep:
    I must agree - everyone feels like this from time to time.
    The difference between reasonable feelings of schadenfreude and unreasonable is that the unreasonable person will make it very clear that they feel that way and the reasonable person will go to the aid of the person, and show a caring front.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse everyone feels like this mate: I did aswel!

I mean I had a rough year between chopping 'n changing my subject in my sixth to please universities that rejected me anyway but when I found out I kicked the crap out of the kid doing physics at Oxford in the Adv.Higher and got better grades than some people who were applying for the same course - it made it all worthwhile.

I mean it's not an admirable thing but everyone thinks it.

Except Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Schadenfreude is totally normal. I get this feeling frequently when dealing with a particular friend of mine. He constantly asks me and my other friends for advice......and NEVER....literally NEVER listens to the advice. Then he comes and complains when things don't work out...so in the back of my mind I have to laugh sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's just human nature to feel that way.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get that word of The Simpsons? I did.

ReputationRep:
    We all laugh at stupid people - that's what they're there for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_1989)
    Yeah I saw that episode, where Flanders business goes under.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I think it's completely normal. I got bullied by a group of girls at uni, and I couldn't help but feel smug when on results day they were all really upset with their 2:2s, whilst I celebrated my 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    I picked it up in a review for Notes of a Scandal and Schadanfreude is delicious

ReputationRep:
    I think I have heard the word a long time ago, but it was cemented in my mind by a Avenue Q (an excellent musical with puppets for those that don't know).

It's good to see that other people feel this way. I mustn't succumb to it though, because then I think you'd need more and more of people's misfortune. Best just to hope it doesn't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, never heard it on the Simpsons, but there is a song in the (amazingly fabulous and hilarious) musical Avenue Q. The song is actually called Schadenfreude.

ReputationRep:
    It's a perfectly cromulent word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
    It's a perfectly cromulent word.

:rofl:

Meh. I think Schadenfreude is a healthy way of embiggening ourselves. It feels sacrilicious, but it's a craptacular notion that there is something wrong with it. Those who suggest otherwise must be kwyjibos.

ReputationRep:
    It's worse when you feel the opposite. That is, feeling bad because good things have happened to someone else and not to you. Jealousy is really not a nice feeling.

ReputationRep:
    I thought revelling in the misfortune of others was the West Bridgford way.

Oh and to the above, the emotion you're describing is envy. Jealousy is not wanting others to have something that you already possess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy cola)
    I thought revelling in the misfortune of others was the West Bridgford way.

Oh and to the above, the emotion you're describing is envy. Jealousy is not wanting others to have something that you already possess.
    It's not all rosy on bread and lard island anyhow...
    Where in Nottingham are you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.