The Student Room Group

Jo Cox murder verdict given

Guilty of murder, whole life tariff given

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not surprised due to the overwhelming evidence found against him, and the fact that he did not offer up a defense. I hope that this, in some way, gives closure to her family and friends.
The guilty verdict and the punishment given don't surprise me, although I am slightly surprised that the punishment was given today. But then I suppose the evidence was pretty insurmountable, so the judge will have had time to consider the punishment before the jury determined the guy's guilt.

The jury apparently deliberated for an hour, which is a little surprising considering how overwhelming the evidence was, but maybe they spent the time discussing the three other charges rather than the murder charge. We'll likely never know as the jury aren't supposed to say what they talked about. I can't say what I talked about when I did jury service and the case we dealt with was nowhere near as high profile.
Does anyone know how much it costs to look after a person for around thirty five years or so in a maximum security prison,with three meals a day, snacks, hot water, electricity, gym access, educational classes, etc? There must be info on it somewhere.
this moron caused so much grief with his retarded actions.
Good. Glad to see a whole life tariff imposed.
And they said white terrorists don't exist...
Original post by markova21
Does anyone know how much it costs to look after a person for around thirty five years or so in a maximum security prison,with three meals a day, snacks, hot water, electricity, gym access, educational classes, etc? There must be info on it somewhere.

From what I've read before, far less than the death penalty would, even if it did still exist in this country.
Original post by Dodgypirate

Lord's Resistance Army, Dylann Roof, etc.
Reply 10
Original post by Dodgypirate

Nobody has ever said that white terrorists don't exist.
Original post by Wōden
Nobody has ever said that white terrorists don't exist.

Well I've heard several people criticise how we all too willingly call brown skin people terrorists and avoid calling whites terrorists... that's close enough.
Reply 12
Feel so sorry for her kids
Both under 5 will have no mother because of this evil evil man. Even in the police interview they released, he just sat there without a care in the world. How can one be that evil?
Original post by Mactotaur
From what I've read before, far less than the death penalty would, even if it did still exist in this country.

Yes, I have heard that actually.
Reply 14
Poor guy.

From what I've read, it's about £40k/yr.
Original post by Drewski

Thanks. Was just interested to know.
Pft, maybe the media can stop endlessly banging on about her now.

Original post by Mactotaur

Serious? That's why gallows or firing squads should be brought back, rather than pissing around with expensive methods.
Reply 18
Original post by MildredMalone
Pft, maybe the media can stop endlessly banging on about her now.

Serious? That's why gallows or firing squads should be brought back, rather than pissing around with expensive methods.

If a politician gets murdered, it's going to be talked about a lot especially in a country as westernised as the UK.
What's your problem? Has it annoyed you so much?
Reply 19

Original post by Drewski

Last year, the Government's average cost figures showed the overall resource expenditure per prisoner for a male Category A prisoner to be £59,470 a year.

Quick Reply

Latest