The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tsrholicc
I'm from Yale.

Lol was just a joke dear.

Erm both Oxford and Cambridge received Gold (the highest) ranking on the last TEF. And there haven't been student satisfaction scores for Oxbridge for about 5 years so a bit bold to say they are 2nd class.

Yes, you are mistaken about mental health - or at least I've never seen any evidence it's worth there than any other university.

I mean you can find rankings which put UCL and LSE on top and others which put Ox and Cam on top. Couldn't really care which is "supreme" I just chose Oxbridge because I liked the teaching style more.
Original post by tsrholicc
Two years ago. Because today, London is supreme. Most international rankings (QS, THE etc.) and all national rankings are of little value. Student satisfaction are the domains of St. Andrews and Aberystwyth. Oxbridge have the tourist brands.

But let's look at research excellence. REF overall rankings here: https://intranet.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/documents/pdf/refoverallrankingsofinstitutionsbythe.pdf

1) LSE
- It is leaps and bounds ahead of both Cambridge and Oxford in terms of the quality of its papers.
- LSE graduates earn lots more money according to almost every single survey.
- LSE, taking its size into account, has produced way more heads of states or international organisations.

2) UCL
- It ranks higher than every other university for total research power - leaps and bounds ahead of both Ox and Bridge.
- It received significantly more UK government funding than every other uni for the past 2 years. It is the UK government's #1 university of choice.
- UCL has even received much more COVID-19 related funding because of its best research proposals.

- According to a ranking of universities produced by SCImago Research Group, UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in terms of total research output.
- According to a 10-year analysis released in July 2008 by ISI Web of Knowledge, UCL is the most-cited university of Europe.
- UCL is ranked 3rd in the world (1st in Europe) in the 2019/20 University Ranking by Academic Performance.
- UCL is ranked 6th in the world (2nd in Europe) in the 2019 National Taiwan University Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.

UCL is expanding rapidly and Oxbridge will soon have to rely heavily on their touristy value to be able to compete (even more than they already do). The most important thing is that Oxbridge graduates are only still earning a good amount because their graduates are in positions of power - There were hardly any universities a few decades ago - But now that that's a thing of the past, these Oxbridges will be hard pressed to attract the best. They are second class.

I'm not a historian, but Oxbridge were mainly a celibate schools / centres of christian "knowledge" till the 19th century and that's about it. They had nothing to do with education.

I don't think any university can claim to be good if it doesn't even bother to interview it's students. If I want a job at Lidl... interview. UCL...nah just come on in!
Original post by nexttime
I don't think any university can claim to be good if it doesn't even bother to interview it's students. If I want a job at Lidl... interview. UCL...nah just come on in!

UCL is leading the UK, Europe and the whole world with its research.... perhaps because it was meant to be a real education institute for everyone unlike Oxbridge which, until the 20th century, was mostly about celibacy, priests, bishops, preachers, pastors, religious ministers etc. Oxbridge does not hold interviews for both taught and research masters degrees and UCL holds interviews for PhD (that's why it has the best) so the interview stuff may only differ at low levels. In fact, UCL and LSE probably have better systems that's why they are better.

I may be wrong, but unlike UCL, Oxbridge are supposed to be biased against Celts, non-whites including eastern europeans and non-christian whites. That's what they seem to mainly look for whenever they hold interviews. They are obviously missing out on the world's best if they have they are so terrified of others.
(edited 3 years ago)