Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    got 59% in my finals but sat the exams with my dad in coma.

i told them this, but was still given a 2.2 (very hard done by after a bad year with family)

I want to appeal, but how does this procedure normally work?

how successful can it be?

ReputationRep:
    59%? 2.1?

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, seems like they accounted for your circumstances and moved you a class up-

ReputationRep:
    I never heard of 1st with less than 70 or even 60%

ReputationRep:
    yeah you should of got a 2:2 surely? so they've done you a favour by bumping you up to a 2:1 surely?

yeah i agree i've never seen a 1st below 70%

ReputationRep:
    soory guys, typo error.

i was given a 2.2 but shudve got a 2.1.

i had alot of family ****, how do i appeal with this.

ReputationRep:
    oh now i see why you're anoyed, yeah 1% thats pretty rough, i'm no expert but you could try talking to the Student Union first, they'll have advisors on what you need to do, talk to your lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to your tutor?

ReputationRep:
    when i spoke to the examinations officer, she said 59% wasnt high enuf, i mean come on show come consideration. she said no.

so now my personal tutor is making a case, but he is new, and dosent know the how to do this.

i will ask them on monday, but what happens at other unis.

ReputationRep:
    Did you tell anyone in advance of the exams?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i told them a month before, then a week b4 my dad got critically ill.

this is a joke man.

ReputationRep:
    That sucks. Appeal.

ReputationRep:
    yeah!

I know my uni had a form you have to fill in and in some cases you'd need a note from the doctor, which i doubt would be hard for you to get.

but seriously go to your Students Union and talk to an advisor.

ReputationRep:
    Look up the guy that works for the education column in the Saturday Telegraph, he should be able to point you in the right direction.

The is an actual board of appeal (or should be) but beware if they don't think your claims are reasonable, they don't look on you kindly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenboy)
    got 59% in my finals but sat the exams with my dad in coma.

i told them this, but was still given a 2.2 (very hard done by after a bad year with family)

I want to appeal, but how does this procedure normally work?

how successful can it be?
    It depends on what university you go too. Look on their website and see if they mention the rules and options there.

I agree that you were hard done by and that you have a very good case. All you need is 1 tiny point to start a masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you circumstances there has to be a cut off point somewhere and someone has to be 1% off, and in this case its you, i doubt an appeal would get far without you showing bias in the marking or other misconduct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Whatever you circumstances there has to be a cut off point somewhere and someone has to be 1% off, and in this case its you, i doubt an appeal would get far without you showing bias in the marking or other misconduct
    thats not how it works. They'll look at your other grades and if they think that due to circumstances beyond your control you slipped a few percent its well within their rights to award you that mark.

ReputationRep:
    what were your grades like in previous years?

If you were heading for a 2:1 or a first they are more likely to put you up a grade.

different uni's use different schemes but you should have access to the formula used and to any minuites of the meeting where the decision was made.

ReputationRep:
    you want to speak to your uni welfare office... but technically... unless you tell them in the week after the exam they are not obliged to listen (they assume youre ********ting in response to bad exam results). but if it was down on the records somewhere back in exam time - the welfare office should be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, sorry to hear about your dad and that you're disappointed with your result.

I'd imagine your circumstances have already been considered - I seem to recall uni's only being able to 'up' your percentage by a certain proportion, and it sounds like you're just very unfortunate. There always has to be a boundary, and it's unbelievable frustrating, but i doubt you can do a huge amounbt about it.

How did you do in the first couple of years (Before changes in circumstances) as these will have a bearing on your 'case' to appeal.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.