What is applied psychology?

Watch this thread
Jsoftly97
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,
So I'm three months into my first year of Bsc Psychology. And I'm stumped.
I'm expected to give a 250 word elaboration on the definition of applied psychology. But I have no clue as of how to, when the textbooks all give a very short paragraph, and I don't want to wikipedia my way through this.

Any advice on how to do this?
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Well I'm assuming you have an understanding of what applied psychology is? It's basically applying research findings to solve real world problems of human behaviour/ cognition.

Rather than confine yourself to text books, why don't you read some jounal articles on applied psychology? They'd provide a good overview of where the field is at, and will lead you to different possible areas, or any issues that are currently faced.

Another aspect you could read into is translational research, which is research that applies scientific findings to treatment. I remember reading quite a long winded review article on translational research in developmental psychology, I could dig it out for you but there's probably more suitable ones out there.

If you wanted to elaborate on "what is applied psychology". Why don't you just provide a definition, a brief history of its development, where it's at today; so any current issues it's facing, or recent developments.

If you wanted to provide examples, a really good area is developmental psychology. Where our understanding of the importance of parenting practices, secure attachment, etc has lead to a surge of family intervention programmes aimed to provide families with parenting techniques etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (67)
28.39%
As I expected (73)
30.93%
Harder (88)
37.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.39%

Watched Threads